User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Time of Use Electricity Rates

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Once a year I get the " list " that tells me my equal billing amounts. I'm kind of relieved that the monthly amount has only increased by a single DOLLAR! I can accept a $12.00 increase for the year.
    We are not as thrifty or careful as we used to be with TOU. I bake when I feel like it sometimes in the middle of the day! ha ha
    barbis9 and crafter like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

New higher rates effective November 1, 2023. OER increasing from 11.7% to 19.3%. If usage charge is low compared to fixed/delivery charges, bill can actually decrease since OER applies to the entire bill.

Old -> New (c/kWh)

Tier 1: 8.7 -> 10.3
    Tier 2: 10.3 -> 12.5

TOU
    Off: 7.4 -> 8.7
    Mid: 10.2 -> 12.2
    On: 15.1 -> 18.2
    barbis9, walkonby and GoodBoy like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For us Tiered is still the best. Our equal payments went down 30$ a month. And the tiered still allows us never to worry about when we use hydro. It is much lower than mid or high periods of TOU. That is a crazy price for highest period. Ouch!!
    barbis9 and crafter like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I don't use a lot of electricity so I prefer the tiered. TOU peak rates are crazy!
    walkonby, crafter and GoodBoy like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I don't use a lot of electricity so I prefer the tiered. TOU peak rates are crazy!
    No kidding on the peak rates!! Nuts!!
    barbis9 and Ciel21 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The OESP thread seems out of place in Home & Garden so I'll post this here.

OESP income eligibility thresholds increased effective March 1, 2024.
    https://news.ontario.ca/en/backgroun...upport-program
    Ciel21 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We got an EV almost 2 years ago and when the premier announced the ultra low rates - I was really hoping we could take advantage of them - but really Ford!!!! - doubling the peak rates??? What about summer months with A/C in late afternoon. That is just rude - and typical of a non-environmentalist,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    walkonby and Ciel21 like this.
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel like residents are being gamed into picking one of two not so hot options for electricity: pay the going rates for time of use or opt into tiered pricing understanding that the rate used in tiered is going to make the so-called cheap rate for the first 650 or whatever kwh actually pricier than cheap rate on TOU. Kind of like "oh, look you get a discount on your electricity bill" upfront but then later "it's nice to see you coughing up $XX dollars to keep cool in the summer or warm on chilly days." That Ontario electricity discount is supposed to end this year. Then many of us will be still going shades of red upon opening that electricity bill (or digital bill).

Since our household will have to go digital with phone service (cellular due to pricing and services included over the broadband options which are not competitive at all) in the near future, we will be charging that cellphone at whatever time it will be required to keep it mostly powered. Laundry cannot always be done on cheapest rate hours because to use the laundry lines outdoors during April to October, it's imposing on whoever is up earliest to run loads prior to 7am, then get them out on lines during peak sunshine hours. There are some weeknight evenings that a person just want to rest/recover/do something else than chores (aka fun). Getting older and having health issues can throw crimps into best plans-laundry sometimes has to wait for peak period washer cycles.

I've brought up the issue of getting a APC unit for the computing gear so there'll be a bit of power during a hydro outage. We never got a replacement after the older unit was taken offline some years ago. Could be handy for a phone charger in a pinch! Have read a post online that someone uses an APC at their cottage for their fridge when the power dips.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Wed, Apr 17th, 2024 at 03:31 PM.
    walkonby likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread Information