• 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 2 Post By Shirnette
  • 3 Post By margy
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: Read the fine print!

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm a biodome member in Montreal which costs around 75 dollars a year for a family of 4. Today I went to the planetarium because its free for biodome members in november and we had a great time. The tickets would have costs us 25 dollars as Quebec residents, 40 if we used their parking. I think if you calculate the Quebec rate we'd have paid 300+ dollars for our all admissions to the museums we've visited on this pass. Last year I had the cultural access pass and we visited over 20 museums for free on that one, so few people actually use that cultural access pass the year they are eligible.

I also got a six flags membership this fall and we took two other families with coupons season pass owners get this year. We went 4 times...husband went five times since we got passes in September. The total retail value of getting two families in once, plus going as often as we did without coupons or promotions is over 1000 dollars. We paid $155 and can still go all next summer including all over the US which we will do. We pack our lunch or leave when we get hungry.

Lastly this year at work I had my first full year of health insurance at work and never before in my life have I had so many massages in my life. Reading the fine print, finding a studio thats very inexpensive I can get massaged 3 times a month all year long with 8 dollars paid out of pocket including tip per massage. The trick was finding an inexpensive massage studio and reducing the time to 30 minutes in lue of an hour.

Everyone at work wants to know how I get so many deals and how I save so much money. People think I am lucky or a genius. It's neither I just read the fine print before even buying a membership or getting services and calculate if it is worth it. So few people read the fine print on memberships, passes, work perks and insurance. Sometimes it really improves your quality of life and your bank statement if you read the fine print.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    hcao, Poirot, Bugaboo9601 and 21 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great brag and great advice. I am always amazed at how people just sign things without really reading it.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post
    Lastly this year at work I had my first full year of health insurance at work and never before in my life have I had so many massages in my life. Reading the fine print, finding a studio thats very inexpensive I can get massaged 3 times a month all year long with 8 dollars paid out of pocket including tip per massage. The trick was finding an inexpensive massage studio and reducing the time to 30 minutes in lue of an hour.

Everyone at work wants to know how I get so many deals and how I save so much money. People think I am lucky or a genius. It's neither I just read the fine print before even buying a membership or getting services and calculate if it is worth it. So few people read the fine print on memberships, passes, work perks and insurance. Sometimes it really improves your quality of life and your bank statement if you read the fine print.
    All very awesome.

Please continue to post your "fine print" brags. I am learning a lot from this one!

very very awesome

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

very impressive! You were the one who did her research and looked before you leaped. Nice brag!
    Anna Michele likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Think I might just start reading the fine print!
    Anna Michele likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Impressive deals and finds..I'm always surprised by the fact that people don't read the fine print..or know what benefits they're entitled too.( I even forget to check now and then..thanks for the reminder!).
    When I was working I would go for a massage every 2 weeks, like you, I found someone that worked from their home and charged $50 for 1 hour..I would even treat myself to the Nordik Spa every once in awhile!! I know friends who travel who will buy travel insurance or cancellation insurance and didn't know that if they use their credit card to pay for their tickets they get it for free. Even most banks give you free travel insurance up to 15 days...My husband and I go to the states a few times a month and we don't have to pay for insurance..also most credit cards give you an extended warranty free! No need to pay for an extended warranty..also with my credit card if an item I bought comes on sale within 60 days they will give me the difference! I also get points, money, for using my card..I got a free ticket to Chicago, Edmonton, Las Vegas and other trips...unlike air miles which takes 10 years to get a movie pass!! Also unlike air miles you book your trip when you want( no restrictions,no blackout dates) and you pay for the trip then you let them know how much and they deduct what you have in your account!! So, everyone get all your papers out and start reading them!! Ha,ha,ha...

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Hey SavvyLady, I like the fact your credit card gives you back the difference when there's a price drop. That's major savings! I'm going to see if mine does that to. Was that advertised in the description of your card's benefits online? I'm wondering because i'm thinking of switching cards in January once i redeem my cash back money.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What a great post. I love the planetarium. Thanks for this great tip!!
    mandolinatou likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Excellent brag! You are so right! People don't check the fine print and pay waaaay more than they need to.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    Impressive deals and finds..I'm always surprised by the fact that people don't read the fine print..or know what benefits they're entitled too.( I even forget to check now and then..thanks for the reminder!).
    When I was working I would go for a massage every 2 weeks, like you, I found someone that worked from their home and charged $50 for 1 hour..I would even treat myself to the Nordik Spa every once in awhile!! I know friends who travel who will buy travel insurance or cancellation insurance and didn't know that if they use their credit card to pay for their tickets they get it for free. Even most banks give you free travel insurance up to 15 days...My husband and I go to the states a few times a month and we don't have to pay for insurance..also most credit cards give you an extended warranty free! No need to pay for an extended warranty..also with my credit card if an item I bought comes on sale within 60 days they will give me the difference! I also get points, money, for using my card..I got a free ticket to Chicago, Edmonton, Las Vegas and other trips...unlike air miles which takes 10 years to get a movie pass!! Also unlike air miles you book your trip when you want( no restrictions,no blackout dates) and you pay for the trip then you let them know how much and they deduct what you have in your account!! So, everyone get all your papers out and start reading them!! Ha,ha,ha...
    Credit card perks are another one. I would, if traveling, get a travel card just for the travel insurance a couple of months in advance, since you always have to pay for your travel with that card to get the free insurance. When you have baggage insurance on your credit card, its amazing...late luggage = free clothing and toiletries. I always look forward to my late luggage. You just have to know how much you can spend and how many hours the luggage needs to be late.

Trading Score
    387 (100%)

Great brag! Hubby just started a new job so I'll be looking at his health insurance very carefully!
    Shirnette likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Great brag! Good things people may not know are available! We need more brags like this one
    Shirnette likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Great brag! U are a wise soul.Lol @ packing lunch or leave when j get hungry.
    I am constantly making ppl think I'm some sort of genius too. It pays to READ THOROUGHLY in general, talk to ppl and do your research( my DH bugs me for being on phone a lot but pity he doesn't know it's all about googling for me). My DH has some great health benefits at work and I am game to making use of them including paying by credit card & getting an additional discount at the dentist( I plan on taking DS btwn his 2nd b'day Dec. 14th & Dec.30 so as to use up as much as we can this yr).Free travel health insurance too so I'm stoked.
    Last edited by Shirnette; Sun, Nov 9th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
    Shwa Girl and SavvyLady like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

in the same train of thought, most people don't take
    maximum advantage of their dental insurance. Don't leave it
    up to the dental office, you should be fully aware of your
    coverage. Call the company and ask for a summary of benefits.
    These are the important questions to ask:
    What is the coverage year (eg. Calendar year or other)?
    What is the percentage of coverage for regular and major work?
    What is the frequency period for recall check-ups?
    How many units of scaling are covered per year?
    Are adult fluorides covered?

With this information, you will know if you can go more
    frequently than 6 , 9 or even 12 month
    The average adult check-up bills 2 - 3 units of scaling.
    If you are allowed 12 units per year, that means you
    could have a dental hygiene appointment for scaling
    every 3 months, without out of pocket expense.
    This is wonderful to prevent periodontal disease.
    The trick to this is emphasizing when you book your
    appointment that you want scaling only, not an exam,
    xrays, polish or fluoride. Those four services follow
    the recall frequency period.

Hope this is helpful.
    Shwa Girl, SavvyLady and Shirnette like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shirnette View Post
    My DH has some great health benefits at work and I am game to making use of them including paying by credit card & getting an additional discount at the dentist( I plan on taking DS btwn his 2nd b'day Dec. 14th & Dec.30 so as to use up as much as we can this yr).Free travel health insurance too so I'm stoked.
    Shirnette likes this.

Thread Information