User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Natalka

Thread: Freezing beets/roasted frozen beets

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

I have a bunch of beets that I would like to first cook/steam and then freeze. If I freeze them, can I roast them once thawed or is it going to make them too mushy/overcooked after?

I've never frozen beets so any tips would be great. So far, I plan on washing, steaming for 30-40 depending on when tender, ice bath once done and then quartering for freezing.
    I roast beets with other root veggies from fresh but would like to make sure the batch I have don't spoil if not used in time.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This year I roasted whole beets, then cut them up before freezing. I did them for future borscht making - though I did make some borscht first, and froze that. I also used them for refrigerator beet pickles.

I did whole beets on parchment lined sheets of foil, cut both ends off, sprinkled with salt and pepper, folded up the foil to make packets, put a bunch on a cookie sheet, roasted at 400 degrees for an hour. Peeled them after they cooled off a bit, then cut them up.

I really don't know about what the texture would be if - for example - you only steamed or roasted them partway before freezing... hopefully someone else could answer.
    2shopmom likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

After steaming and waiting until it completely cool, you can cut the beets into piece by piece and freeze them in the refrigerator.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

It sounds like you've got it figured out,according to the National Center for Home Food Preservation.Here's a link to the page on beets.it's great resource for all the various home food preservation methods.http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/beet.html

Thread Information