User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: QotD: 20 Feb 2015: That thing in the fridge...

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Name:  02-20-2015.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  71.8 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka, walkonby, toban and 2 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This QOTD makes me think about our garbage service in The Shwa. We get garbage pick up every 2 weeks. So, it's a tricky thing to take care of fridge items that should be gone, like a week ago. Not sure if Durham Region thinks they are doing great with the 2 week garbage pick up. I think it makes people angry.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    This QOTD makes me think about our garbage service in The Shwa. We get garbage pick up every 2 weeks. So, it's a tricky thing to take care of fridge items that should be gone, like a week ago. Not sure if Durham Region thinks they are doing great with the 2 week garbage pick up. I think it makes people angry.
    So I'm assuming that you recycling is every other (opposite weeks) then...I know this ticks a lot of people off, especially with limit on amount of containers you're allowed to have sitting out, and having to get the municipality/city issued containers...

I could keep going...but that a whole other issue, for another thread and another time
    walkonby and TooCouponCrazy like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

All the usual things like veggie, milk, cheese and salad stuff. I only keep open jars of sauces, salad dressings, mayo, jam, pickles and peanut butter in the fridge, alongside dairy and eggs. I keep drinks in the fridge if I intend drinking them that day, otherwise they are in the cupboard. I use up veg like cabbage, cauliflower and broccolli quickly and only buy if I am going to eat them within the week - these are normally stored in my vegetable rack along with old potatoes, carrots and onion. So, I don't worry about food going off.

I also keep a few other non-food items in the fridge - my eye cream, a moisturizer and medicines. Sometimes you might find the obligatory basket of chocolates after an irresistable holiday sale. lol
    danger_dan and TooCouponCrazy like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Shwa and Dan I too feel the 2 week cycle is a bit cheap! As a family we generate 1 bag of garbage that we place in our small ( free! ) receptacle by the curb every second week, and to make that work takes due diligence. I must watch the garbage like a hawk so no foodstuffs or recyclables go in. The food waste is placed out every week, ( thank goodness ) because in the summer months you would not want that stuff saving up for a second week.

oh....what was the QOTD again? yeah, the fridge. I keep things rotated and cleaned out pretty regularly, otherwise I'd be tossing my $$ out. It does happen sometimes a leftover gets pushed far back, and discovered after it has expired, but not too often.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I'm one of these people who hates anything coming UP TO its expiration date. If it's 2 days before it will expire I toss it. I've always been like that. And I have a ravonous husband so I don't know what a "leftover" is.

So things don't expire around here.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We have a small fridge, so I have to keep a close eye on everything and it all gets cleaned out and cleared out often.

We have a medium chest freezer, and because $ is tight, I have to keep an eye on inventory to use what's there, and to supplement buying so we can have a modicum of variety.

So, waste in either place is rare.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Our deep freeze needs to be defrosted, so I've asked that nothing more be put in it (not that anyone really heeds my advice lol)
    I've taken to using a perm. marker to mark dates on food items recently opened that are stored in the fridge. It takes the guesswork out of wondering if something is still good... even if it passes the sniff test.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I`m pretty thorough with cleaning my kitchen.. most of my fruit and veggies gets eaten before I have to worry about it going bad.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I keep a close eye on the fridge. Leftovers are eaten right away. Once a month I remove everything from the fridge and wipe down the walls and shelves. Including the freezer part too.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Fridge is cleaned out weekly. The deep freeze on the other hand.... Lets just say I usually forget it exists. I told DH to stop adding things into it and that I'd purged and totally clean it out. I'm sure there's freezer burned items that have been there since we moved 3 years ago.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-my fridge gets cleaned out -every week -not much waste -only two of us (a really good cleaning on the glass shelves once a month
    -deep freezer about every 6months

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I do the fridge cleanup every week but my problem is the stuff on the top shelf near the vent. I usually end up with jars full of ice

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Patty, our former fridge (not old) was like that, freezing things - just couldn't balance the temp properly.

There's nothing worse than limp pickles....

.... after they have frozen and thawed.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Shwa and Dan I too feel the 2 week cycle is a bit cheap! As a family we generate 1 bag of garbage that we place in our small ( free! ) receptacle by the curb every second week, and to make that work takes due diligence. I must watch the garbage like a hawk so no foodstuffs or recyclables go in. The food waste is placed out every week, ( thank goodness ) because in the summer months you would not want that stuff saving up for a second week.
    The biggest change in my trash quantity was discovering my local recycle depot. I find myself stopping by there bi-weekly to toss plastic, glass, tin, and styro containers (from grocery meats and take out containers). That greatly reduced my trash to a tiny grocery bag each week. While driving my recycleables to the recycle depot appears to be excessive when the city does door pickup..... I don't believe in leaving my confidential paper stuff outside waiting for the city to pick up some random time when I'm at work. Too much identify theft.
    danger_dan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information