User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Dalhousie dental students suspended: 4th year students

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

How proud Mumsy and Daddums must be: 13 4th year dental students suspended from practicing in the dental clinics and facing severe (I wonder) disciplinary actions for posting misogynistic (I think those comments are more than that!) on their "Gentleman's" (LOL!) facebook page. Naturally they've all lawyered up.

There is some questioning regarding the timing of the announcement, since this became evident to the school on Dec 22nd. The president of Dalhousie said they postponed this announcement because of the "welfare" of some students who they were concerned would "self harm". How would they know that unless the students were informed before today? Which means, they knew they were in trouble....so did they or did they not return to school, where the president said that counselors would be in place to 'help' them, therefore delaying the announcement until today??

Well...like the old joke goes: What are the 3 reasons to become a dentist? Money, money, money! Seems those 13 fall right into that group!

They'll undergo procedures that are in place at Dalhousie that deal with such issues, but I think that comments that involve chloroforming fellow female students goes beyond misogyny...jmho

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dalhous...page-1.2172389
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Shwa Girl and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The letter from Avalon Sexual Assault Centre on Dalhousie campus with charges:
    http://avaloncentre.ca/2014/12/avalo...-of-dentistry/

"The recent sexual terrorism of Jian Gomeshi, including threatening to hate-**** his female co-worker is deplorable to most, and yet the DDS 2015 Gentleman facebook group normalized and glorified this type of violence with no remorse for those impacted by it. "
    Last edited by Lynn49; Mon, Jan 5th, 2015 at 11:36 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Dalhousie made the right decision. They had a lot of external pressure/media, to "help" them decide.
    Quoting the article:
    The students cannot receive a dentistry degree from Dalhousie University without meeting academic requirements, which includes professional standards.
    If these 13 "gentlemen" treat fellow female dental students this way, could they then treat female patients with the same unprofessional behaviour? Some health care providers forget that professional conduct is one of the licensing requirements.
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Personally, I don't think they went far enough. I think they should have been expelled, with the opportunity to submit applications to the dean of dentistry for re-admission. THAT would have sent a signal that this kind of behavior is not tolerated!
    These were threats of physical abuse towards those female students, and criminal charges should be laid which have nothing to do with the university! Imagine if these were posted by "ordinary guys"...do we assume nothing could be done?!

We had a dentist here that was charged with several misconduct charges regarding female patients (our daughter's to be exact! Thank God I was near-by looking through the glass window while he removed her wisdom teeth!!), who left town and I'm assuming is doing something else since he lost his licence here to practice. Maybe he's teaching at dalhousie.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

It was first reported over a week before Christmas..

Fortunatly , there were plenty of MRAs to tell us that "Boys will be boys" and " we are being too sensitive" over a pivate FB page as wll as the self-pitying bleating of "How THOSE types just don't understand how hard it is for a young man to get a date"...
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:36 AM.
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree, Lynn, they should have been expelled - back right after it was found out.
    strew and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    So these guys post about attacking women, and when they are called out, they threaten to attack themselves (self-harm) WOW sounds totally mentally stable.

They have a registry for those convicted of sexual assault...they should have a DNA registry of those convicted of violence as well.
    I guess we'll have to start checking new dentists before we see them: from which university did they graduate?!
    I hope the president wasn't bs-ing about the "doing harm to themselves" bit...I mean..if they were concerned, wouldn't it have been better for them to stay at home?! I wonder if it was just a ploy to get them all back to the university...I don't know, just guessing....but whatever happens I'm sure won't be enough to punish those spoiled brats!
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    It was first reported over a week before Christmas..

Fortunatly , there were plenty of MRAs to tell us that "Boys will be boys" and " we are being too sensitive" over a pivate FB page as wll as the self-pitying bleating of "How THOSE types just don't understand how hard it is for a young man to get a date"...
    They all come out of the woodwork at times like this, don't they, Darth? Absolute nonsense.
    What's happening in our world to produce such egomaniacs who want to hurt women????
    It's time women started banding together and somehow making it VERY well known that such behavior should be given the harshest punishment! Alumni should be withdrawing their funding if this issue isn't resolved to their satisfaction; in fact, ALL women alumni should withhold funding even now!
    Patty Smyth and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Well..it's a start...
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...test-1.2890052

Apparently there are screenshots of the facebook entries; has anyone found them?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I read them when the FB page was still up, Lynn - part of them, before I got disgusted.

Some are posted within this article, you click to enlarge the posts

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/what-...nt?oid=4488208

I'm sure there's a cache somewhere - I'm just not adept enough to find it.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Heard that Ontario's dental licensing body wants to know the identities of the 13. Ontario does not want them practicing in this province -- at least not right away. Dalhousie has not yet provided Ontario with the names.
    Natalka likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:36 AM.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I read them when the FB page was still up, Lynn - part of them, before I got disgusted.

Some are posted within this article, you click to enlarge the posts

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/what-...nt?oid=4488208

I'm sure there's a cache somewhere - I'm just not adept enough to find it.
    I saw a lot of them when I was trolling MRA sub-reddits before Christmas..I'd rather not try to find them again TYVM I used up the last of my extra-strength BrainBleach and my Anti-Eye-Rolling pins broke..

eta.. from Natalka's link..

After Florizone’s press conference last week, CBC reported that one of the women mentioned in the sexist posts objects to the informal resolution. Another woman contacted The Coast before this article was published. She is one of the women featured in derogatory posts on the group Facebook page. She wanted to emphasize that Dalhousie did not seek or receive her consent before electing to an informal restorative justice process, and she’s not comfortable proceeding with that process as it has been explained. As of right now, she’s not coming forward publicly or with a formal complaint because she’s concerned it will affect her academic standing and career.
    Including her, we know of at least four women in Dalhousie’s graduating dentistry class who object to restorative justice. Yet again and again, the university has claimed its response has been focused on those most directly harmed.
    Begining to sound like Dalhousie is trying to protect the people who wrote the posts while throwing the women's concerns regarding thier futures under the bus..
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Mon, Jan 5th, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
    Candini likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information