User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Malala..the cost of education for girls

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

People in Pakistan have been observing a day of prayer for the recovery of a 14-year-old girl shot in the head by Taliban gunmen.
    Malala Yousafzai was transferred to a military hospital in Rawalpindi on Thursday. Doctors say her progress over the next few days will be "critical".
    The girl wrote a diary about suffering under the Taliban and was accused by them of "promoting secularism".
    BBC link
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Malala Yousafzai now in UK for treatment

Fourteen-year-old Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani girl shot in the head by Taliban gunmen in Swat, has arrived in the UK for medical treatment.
    A renowned campaigner for girls' education, she was attacked on her way home from school last Tuesday and a bullet was removed from her skull.
    The Taliban said they targeted her for "promoting secularism".
    She is in a serious condition and is being seen by doctors at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.
    Malala was flown from Pakistan on board an air ambulance provided by the United Arab Emirates and accompanied by a full medical team.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Taliban threaten journalists over Malala coverage

The Pakistani Taliban have reacted to the torrent of negative media coverage after their attempt to assassinate a 14-year-old schoolgirl by threatening journalists.
    Several Pakistani and international news organisations have been forced in recent days to take extra security precautions after receiving threats from militants that one news executive described as "specific" and directed against named individuals.
    A journalist in Swat, the region where the attack on Malala Yousafzai took place, has even been given police guards after receiving a written warning saying police had "credible information that you are on the hit list of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Swat".

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Birmingham hospital sets up charity fund for Malala

An account within the main hospital fund of the Queen Elizabeth Birmingham Charity has been set up to support Malala.
    The trust's website said: "When she is well enough we will ask her how she wants those donations to be spent in support of the care she is receiving."
    A message book has been opened at Birmingham City Council and people visiting the trust's website can also leave an online message.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This crime has kind of left me speechless
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Pakistan "to pay cash to poor to send kids to school"

Families of three million of Pakistan's poorest children will get cash sums if their child attends school, in a scheme announced ahead of a day of action for a schoolgirl shot by the Taliban.
    Under the scheme, funded by the World Bank and UK, families would reportedly get $2 a month per child in school.
    The news came as the UN held "Malala Day", in the name of Malala Yousufzai, 15, a Pakistani education campaigner.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    This crime has kind of left me speechless
    Me too...I have a 14 yo and an 11yr Penguinette. At least I don't have to worry about religous bigots shooting them simply for going to school.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Malala Yousafzai leaves Queen Elizabeth hospital

The Pakistani schoolgirl activist shot in the head by the Taliban has been discharged from a Birmingham hospital as an inpatient.
    Malala Yousafzai, 15, was being treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEHB) after being transferred following the attack in October.
    She will continue rehabilitation at her family's temporary West Midlands home.
    The Taliban said it shot Malala, a campaigner for girls' education, for "promoting secularism".
    The shooting, in a school bus, sparked domestic and international outrage.
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the interesting thing in pakistan is that unless you are in a backwards tiny village, it is the norm for girls to have some sort of post secondary education, unless they absolutely can't afford it.

many, many girls go on to achieve bachelors and masters degrees. lots of girls live on campus while going to college. it is considered their right to fully enjoy their single years.

hell, my maternal grandmother was one of 4 or 5 daughters, and she was the only one of her sisters who did not go to university. and that was only because she got married a little younger than the rest. and this was back in the 1940's, i think.

the ones who are anti-education for girls in that country are the absolute minority, but they are the ones who end up being the PR ppl for the whole place
    ex0ticb3lla and Darth Penguin like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Glad she's gotten to go home to be with her family, apparently she's done well on day visits.
    Sadly, it's not over for her yet - I surely wish her well!
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Malala nominated for 2013 Nobel Peace Prize

Malala Yousufzai, the Pakistani girl who rose to international fame after the Taliban nearly killed her for her efforts to promote girls’ education, has been formally nominated for the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize.
    Her name was put forward by three members of the Norwegian parliament from the ruling Labor Party on their website Friday, which was the deadline for nominations.
    Malala’s name was put forward because of "her courageous commitment to the right of girls to education. A commitment that seemed so threatening to the extremists that they chose to try and kill her," said parliamentarian Freddy de Ruiter on the Labor party web site.
    gracesmommy and xox2010 like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Malala recovering after operations

Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital said a titanium plate and cochlear implant were successfully attached in two operations on Saturday.

A spokesperson said she was continuing to recover and was in a stable condition after the surgery, which lasted five hours.
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Malala starts school in Birimgham

Just five months after she was shot in the head by the Taliban in Pakistan’s Swat Valley, apparently for defying a ban on girls' education, Malala Yousafzai returned to school, this time in the safer confines of central England. On her first day in Edgbaston High School for Girls in Birmingham, the teen, who has attracted international attention for her quiet defiance, issued a statement celebrating her accomplishment and expressing concern for others.
    “I am excited that today I have achieved my dream of going back to school," she said. "I want all girls in the world to have this basic opportunity. I miss my classmates from Pakistan very much but I am looking forward to meeting my teachers and making new friends here in Birmingham.”
    The 15-year-old was placed into ninth grade, and school spokeswoman Annelle Rowlands said her first full day in class included lessons on home economics and a double math session.
    xox2010 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information