User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Food experiments

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've also been making my own coffee concentrate. A cold brew type to go in iced coffees. Beats stopping at McDs for an iced coffee every day.
    I bought an 8 cup mason jar and some unbleached cotton. I sewed the material into a long "sock" so that I could slip the ends over the mouth of the jar.
    The ratio I am currently using is 1/3 cup ground coffee to 1 1/2 cups water. So coffee in the sock and then the water. Let it sit on the counter for at least 12 hours then take the sock out and drain.

Which reminds me... my sock is still out on the clothes line lol
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 07:34 AM.
    Zonny and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Zonny; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
    dededi likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Sorry that last post is so enormous. I tried deleting the whole message including attachments, but they're still there!

Anyhow, did my yogurt, it came out quite well. You can see clear liquid on top, this is whey, which I drained off. It's a bit tangier than store bought. I have three jars, I'm going to try straining one and make 'yogurt cheese.' The others I'll sweeten with honey/fruit, and will also bake with it. I should have taken a pic of it after draining the whey and stirring it, it looks a lot tastier than this does! I made it with 2% milk, I think next time I will use whole milk, maybe even a bit of cream.
    Natalka and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Continued yogurt experiments. The yogurt cheese came out pretty good, I mixed a few fresh herbs and some roasted garlic into some, made a tasty dip. Tried spreading some plain onto my breakfast roll yesterday, wasn't quite sold on that.

I made a new batch of yogurt on the weekend, this time with whole milk instead of 2%. Like the results much better, it's smoother. Drained two jars of that over a new cotton tea towel overnight, it's thick like Greek yogurt after doing that. Just ate some of it with honey- I think this is my favourite way to eat it so far. I don't think DH will like the Greek style, he will prefer the thinner variety I think.
    dededi likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Name:  20150614_131515.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  276.0 KB

More yogurt! I've been using whole milk. This time I drained some of it for about seven hours, the pic shows the result, very thick and creamy! I eat this with honey, so good. Some I left undrained for DH, mix it with honey and fruit for him. Will never buy yogurt again!
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Jun 14th, 2015 at 03:21 PM.
    walkonby, r0c0upons and dededi like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information