• 4 Post By KDivers
  • 6 Post By redhdlois
  • 5 Post By walkonby
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 2 Post By Silk

Thread: Questions about Dairy Free and Reducing Processed Sugar

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Naturopath today suggested NO DAIRY for a month. Also reducing processed sugar. Any suggestions? about eating? I know - grains, fruits and vegetables, drinks that are not water. Snacks?

I bought some Almond milk and unpastuerized honey.

I will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Lynn49, macw1960, walkonby and 4 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

No dairy is very doable, because you can switch to alternative milks like soy, cashew, almond (which you already got). Try as much as possible to get recipes that don't use milk or cheese to start with. From my personal experience, substituting dairy with non dairy products in recipes I was familiar with were very disappointing. For example, making fish chowder and using soy milk was just disgusting and tasted bad. I eventually found a fish and mussel soup that didn't have any milk and was even better than my original recipe. Someone I know who can't stand cheese uses a lot of asian recipes, so that's something you could try. Vegan recipes are another place to look, and if you're not vegetarian, just add meat.

About processed sugar, did your naturopath actually say that? I'm asking because honey, although not processed, it's still 100% glucose and brings on the same metalobolic response in the body as white sugar, so you're not ahead by switching to honey in your recipes or sweetening your cup of tea. She probably meant to eat sweet food as close to it's natural state as possible, i.e. the whole fruit but not the juice.

Your main strategy should be to focus on whole foods as the basis to your diet minus the dairy, and that's 3/4 of the battle. Since you can have grains, that means you can still enjoy bread and pasta (but stay away from baked goods like muffins and cakes).

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thank-you, blueeyetea, very helpful!
    I've been adding the honey to chamomile tea but I'm not liking the taste that much. So - I'll just cut back. He said I might use stevia or another sugar substitute (starts with an X, I think)

I'm thinking that fruit is the best snack I can turn to. About 3:30 - 4:00 pm, I have a real "down" time and need a snack. I tried nuts of different sorts, but they seem to bring on a headache.
    Lynn49, macw1960, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

...sigh...double-post....
    Last edited by Lynn49; Fri, Jul 10th, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hi, Sis!....I found this for you...love allrecipes.com since we can filter by ratings...hope it helps a little...

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyd...free/main.aspx

Personally, I'd start with the pecan pie bars....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I'm thinking that fruit is the best snack I can turn to. About 3:30 - 4:00 pm, I have a real "down" time and need a snack. I tried nuts of different sorts, but they seem to bring on a headache.
    You could try non-dairy yogurt. I know you can get some made out of soy, or coconut milk. I've tried them and I like the taste, although they taste differently than dairy yogurt. Hard-boiled eggs. Roasted chickpeas. Veggies with hummus or salsa.

Even with fruit, it's good to have some protein to go with it. Fruit being sweet, a piece of protein will slow the breakdown of it, and you won't get hungry as quickly afterwards.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you can also d soy milk or soy yogurt. Coconut milk is also really good. If you cut back on processed sugar you may have withdrawal and get headaches. I know I do when I try to cut back. I try to cut back slowly. This way I feel it less.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize there was non-dairy yogurt. I'll check it out. Do these have pro-biotics?

Also, since I'm cutting out dairy - I am wondering if I'm taking enough Calcium supplements. I take 650 whatevers per day. I'm thinking I should take 2 pills. I'm going to the naturopath next week and my general dr. the week after - I'll check.

My friend was talking about making "whipped cream" out of something non-dairy and I'll have to check it out.

About 3 - 4 pm I'm surely craving a nice Ice-Cap from Timmies! LOL! But I have resisted. I have had only 2 headaches in the month. Yahooly!

I get the results of the blood test he (the naturopath) took next week and we'll see what I should and shouldn't eat.
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Hi, Sis!....I found this for you...love allrecipes.com since we can filter by ratings...hope it helps a little...

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyd...free/main.aspx

Personally, I'd start with the pecan pie bars....
    Thanks, Lynn! I'm going to check here all the time! I also checked out the "sugar-free" listings!
    Lynn49, macw1960, dededi and 1 others like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I always get headaches when cutting back on sugar. It is insane how withdrawal works

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I stopped drinking milk about 35 years ago when I was tested at a naturopath's for food sensitivities. I've used either rice or almond milk since.
    I've also cut out yogurt and don't miss it at all. I started doing more raw foods and although I hardly eat dairy to begin with; I really noticed the congestion if I consumed dairy....so I feel much better without it.

Sugar is probably the best thing to cut out...it is so bad for you. But, replacing it with a sugar alternative is even worse...things like Splenda, etc are like poison.

I have found that instead of trying to find something to 'replace' dairy in recipes, I just looked for different recipes to make, and it's been great to try different things, instead of the 'same old' recipes I'd been using.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize there was non-dairy yogurt. I'll check it out. Do these have pro-biotics?

Also, since I'm cutting out dairy - I am wondering if I'm taking enough Calcium supplements. I take 650 whatevers per day. I'm thinking I should take 2 pills. I'm going to the naturopath next week and my general dr. the week after - I'll check.

My friend was talking about making "whipped cream" out of something non-dairy and I'll have to check it out.

About 3 - 4 pm I'm surely craving a nice Ice-Cap from Timmies! LOL! But I have resisted. I have had only 2 headaches in the month. Yahooly!

I get the results of the blood test he (the naturopath) took next week and we'll see what I should and shouldn't eat.
    Perhaps it was this @avoncallingu

Coconut Whipped Cream
    Serves: 1 cup

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator at least 24 hours before making the whipped cream, so it is well chilled
    2. Chill a metal bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes
    3. Take the coconut milk out of the refrigerator and remove the lid
    4. Gently scoop out the coconut fat, placing it in the chilled bowl
    5. Pour the remaining liquid into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator, saving it for another use
    6. Using a hand blender , whip the coconut milk fat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute
    7. Whip in the honey, vanilla extract, stevia, and salt
    8. Use right away or store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours

Here is Elana's site page

http://elanaspantry.com/about/

I support the changes the Naturopath is recommending for you avon, I do know eliminating both sugar and dairy made me feel amazing! ( as well as gluten and I used all " No salt added " products whenever I did buy broths, canned tomatoes, etc ) Too bad I've fallen off the wagon many times, but hopefully you will be stronger and more determined to see a change in your health.
    I see you are well aware of the extra costs associated with gluten/dairy/sugar free and taking whatever supplements/vitamins the naturopath recommends for you, mostly the ones they insist you use are 2-3 times of others. Good luck.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Some soy, almond and rice milk are fortified with same amount of calcium found in milk.

OP, did the naturopath not give you a list of foods that you can substitute, when they made their recommendations for changes?
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Just found this thread. It's been more than a month - how'd you do and how do you feel?

Silk
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Have a great life!

Thread Information