• 4 Post By bluerose
  • 2 Post By SnowFlakey
  • 3 Post By SnowFlakey
  • 1 Post By macw1960

Thread: Rhubarb recipes

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Was at daughters yesterday and we went to the farm. We picked loads and loads of rhubarb. This morning i cleaned it all and hubby cut the rhubarb into small pièces. Ive got about 30 cups of rhubarb in ziploc freezer bags. i love adding rhubarb to muffins, making rhubarb crisp, rhubarb upside down cake, etc. But i remember my mother used to boil down the rhubarb and then put it through a sieve to make a juice or something like that. If anyone has a tried and true recipe for this i would really like to have it.

If anyone has any favorite rhubarb recipes they would love to share, it would be greatly appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty
    Natalka, macw1960, cath007 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I make a crisp recipe from The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook, which I don't know by heart, but the topping is make with oats, flour, pecans, brown sugar and butter. I vary it by changing the nuts and adding shredded coconut. The recipe in a book has a mix and match component to it. Anyhoo, I use 6 cups of fruit, which is 2 cups of rhubard, and whatever frozen fruit I have on hand.

I made this cake recipe, again from Canadian Living that was very good.

In years past, I canned rhubarb chutney, not sure where I got the recipe, but I'm getting tired of it. I thought this rhubarb-grapefruit marmalade looked interesting.

Is it possible your mother was making rhubarb syrup, meant to be mixed with something else?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, you are so lucky!
    I sure hope someone gets you a good juice recipe, because I've had that, and it's awesome. I have seen recipes on the net.

All I can share is a FAB rhubarb squares recipe, which we love

Combine:
    2 cups diced rhubarb
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    pinch salt

In another bowl, mix together:
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup rolled oats
    Rub in 1/2 cup margarine or butter, to make the mixture crumbly.

Pour half of this mixture into an 8" square pan, add all of the rhubarb mixture, then add the rest of the crumbs on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes til golden.
    macw1960, cath007, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Attachment 288449
    I have this recipe cut out n glued in my little recipe book and its very good.

Glazed orange-rhubarb loaf

INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 cups frozen sliced or 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 to 3 oranges
    2 tbsp granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 cup butter, melted
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

INSTRUCTIONS

Measure out rhubarb. Defrost frozen rhubarb, then drain well and pat dry. Finely chop. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease a 9×5-inch (1.5-L) loaf pan. Stir rhubarb with 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar and set aside. Finely grate peel from 2 oranges to make about 2 tablespoons (30 mL), and squeeze out 1 cup (250 mL) juice. Measure 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of this juice into a dish. Stir in 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar and set aside to glaze loaf.
    In a medium-size bowl, beat egg. Stir in remaining juice (1 cup/250 mL minus 2 tablespoons/30 mL), grated peel and vanilla. Measure flour, 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar, baking powder, soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until blended and make a well in centre. Pour in egg mixture and cooled melted butter. Stir just until evenly combined. Batter is very thick. Stir in rhubarb mixture and nuts just until evenly distributed.
    Turn into prepared pan. Batter will almost fill the pan. Smooth top. Bake in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven until top is golden and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes. Place pan on a rack. Stir orange juice and sugar mixture. Pour over top of hot loaf. Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes. Then, turn out of pan and place loaf on rack to finish cooling. Loaf will keep well, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or wrap airtight and freeze. Bread is wonderful spread with cream cheese.
    Prairie cooks such as Pat Thompson of Assiniboia, Sask., wisely freeze their garden rhubarb to use all year. This recipe is indeed a “clipper”–you’re sure to get requests for more! An impressive breakfast loaf studded with ruby rhubarb and flecked with orange peel is a splendid way to start the day.
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Attachment 288450
    My Mother use to make this
    Rhubarb Jam
    4 pounds rhubarb
    6 pounds white sugar
    2 lemons sliced very thin
    1/3 cup fresh walnuts
    water to see???? boil slowly for 1 1/2 hours.

Attachment 288451 Found this one on the net very similar
    Rhubarb Jam (Old Recipe)
    Ingredients

15 c Rhubarb, cut up
    8 Oranges
    14 c Sugar
    1 c Walnuts
    Original recipe makes 12 Pints

Preparation

Put oranges through food chopper. Put sugar and oranges over rhubarb and let soak overnight. Next morning cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours. Add walnuts and put in hot jars. This makes 5 to 6 quarts (5 to 6 litres). This recipe is about 50 years old. SOURCE: GRANDMAS COOKING COMPILED BY: The Recipe Book Committee of the Mennonite Traditional Cooks
    Last edited by bluerose; Thu, Jul 23rd, 2015 at 11:36 AM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Attachment 288452
    I absolutely love orange & rhubarb marmalade there are lots of recipes on the net.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I make a crisp recipe from The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook, which I don't know by heart, but the topping is make with oats, flour, pecans, brown sugar and butter. I vary it by changing the nuts and adding shredded coconut. The recipe in a book has a mix and match component to it. Anyhoo, I use 6 cups of fruit, which is 2 cups of rhubard, and whatever frozen fruit I have on hand.

I made this cake recipe, again from Canadian Living that was very good.

In years past, I canned rhubarb chutney, not sure where I got the recipe, but I'm getting tired of it. I thought this rhubarb-grapefruit marmalade looked interesting.

Is it possible your mother was making rhubarb syrup, meant to be mixed with something else?
    I looked at the recipe for rhubarb syrup and this is exactly what i remember the syrup looked like. Mom would pour a bit in a glass and then add water. It was so refreshing during those hot summer months! Thanks for this recipe.
    macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Thanks everyone for those rhubarb recipe ideas. Everything sounds and looks delicious! Im going to be making 2 Rhubarb Strawberry pies on Friday. It is my daughter`s favorite. If they come out great, i will post a pic. I made an apple pie Saturday, was on the phone with daughter and forgot about the pie! The crust burnt, but the insides tasted great! lol
    bluerose, macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, you are so lucky!
    I sure hope someone gets you a good juice recipe, because I've had that, and it's awesome. I have seen recipes on the net.

All I can share is a FAB rhubarb squares recipe, which we love

Combine:
    2 cups diced rhubarb
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    pinch salt

In another bowl, mix together:
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup rolled oats
    Rub in 1/2 cup margarine or butter, to make the mixture crumbly.

Pour half of this mixture into an 8" square pan, add all of the rhubarb mixture, then add the rest of the crumbs on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes til golden.

I think I will be trying this one...thanks.
    Natalka likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Thread Information