User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Your Bright Idea BRAG

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In the winter, I hang at least 1/2 my clothes to dry on hangers. Not only does it save your clothes from wearing out faster, buy it is a natural "humidifier" with a lovely clean scent in most homes that are dry and staticky in the winter.

When I clean out my fish tank, I use all that fish poopy water for my plants. Free plant food!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

You can use empty Pringle cans to store ice cream cones and prevent them from breaking.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    You can use empty Pringle cans to store ice cream cones and prevent them from breaking.
    Great idea

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    frugallegemom, macw1960 and dededi like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Loving this thread, all these great ideas! Way to go, Group!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post

When I clean out my fish tank, I use all that fish poopy water for my plants. Free plant food!
    doesn't work with saline or high SG brackish water..
    macw1960 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I re-think fabric. I made these curtains for less than $3.00. I took a set of pillow cases, ($2.50 at Dollarama) and ripped the seams from both pillowcases, then sewed new hems. These ones pictured are my upstair's bathroom curtains, I wanted them thin curtains to let the sun in, because whoever designed this house must've been a vampire as far as window placement is concerned! If I wanted them darker, I would have sewn two pairs back-to-back for a whopping $5.00 + tax.

Name:  curtains.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  14.1 KB

I also did the same in our multipurpose room. Similar idea, I got two free wooden chairs and reupholstered them using a scarf from dollarama! I think the scarf cost $2... can't remember because I wore it for a year or two and then decided on the scarf after I repainted the room. Sticking with this idea, my living room "drapes" are actually a shower curtain that I cut in half and re-hemmed. Cost me $10.00.

I learned during some renovations that our dump has a paint re-use centre. You can find good quality paint leftovers there for free! I painted my youngest son's room for free (- the cost of a paint tray and rollers).

Any time we throw out or burn furniture (wooden stuff) or throw away electronics that's beyond donating) I scavenge the hardware. I have amassed quite the collection of screws, nuts, bolts, drawer pulls, hinges etc. from taking a second to remove these parts before putting them on the curb (or if it's wooden and we're at the cottage, before burning).

I use fleece blankets and moving blankets, thrift store towels and newspaper as part of my kids' pet's bedding instead of buying pet bedding new. It's cheaper, better for the environment and cuts down on any smells since we change it regularly.

Take the extra moment to store fruit and veggies properly. Apples, potatoes, oranges, onions, etc. so many things can last much longer if you just put them away properly. A lot of times, potatoes and apples especially are set up to fail by the manufacturer (so they go bad and you buy them again sooner / more times a year. I sort my produce myself at home after I go to the store and make sure they're put away properly for the best longevity of the product. Potatoes, onions and apples can last us months.
    macw1960 likes this.
    Get your F-R-E-E gift cards just by browsing online with Swagbucks. Click here to register now!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Donate "odd" socks and mitts to a nursing home. There are many people who are amputees and don't need a pair.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugallegemom View Post

Take the extra moment to store fruit and veggies properly. Apples, potatoes, oranges, onions, etc. so many things can last much longer if you just put them away properly. A lot of times, potatoes and apples especially are set up to fail by the manufacturer (so they go bad and you buy them again sooner / more times a year. I sort my produce myself at home after I go to the store and make sure they're put away properly for the best longevity of the product. Potatoes, onions and apples can last us months.
    I keep my apples in the fridge and potatos an onions in my kitchen pantry we usually eat through it all before it goes bad but I'm curious how you do it
    Can you share your ways please

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information