Trading Score
    26 (100%)

how many dishes sets do you have ?

i'm asking because it seemed mom was addicted to it

i gave
    one with pink flowers
    one white almost brand new
    kept
    the one for special occasions we both knew would be mine after her (not in use)
    kept
    the one almost new she gave me when she bought the white one (not in use)
    and i found
    one in the storage (a part of it is with my other dishes to be used)
    she also had oval plates for when we eat lobster, club sandishes, etc
    and i had already have my own (in use)

after all, i think she was addicted to gadjets.....i didn't tell you yet how many vacuum sets she owns

+ i think i won't need to buy cleaners for a long time....it's only a few things ...there are a lot, lot more.....
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Mia001; Fri, Oct 16th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
    Natalka, macw1960, dededi and 1 others like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

We are currently at the 'nothing matches' point, lol!
    Just a variety of dinner plates, luncheon plates, and bowls.

Didn't have anything very fancy - just everyday use ones, but over the years with kids (we only have one, but there were always lots of cousins around) and just usage, pieces got broken.

The only full set I have is the real china we got for a wedding gift from my family, not just dishes but lots of extra pieces. It's Ukrainian-patterned, and very special.
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

That sounds pretty @Natalka .

The set we were bought when we got married(2000) is down to 1 side plate and 5 dinner plates, 6 soup dishes and all 6 cups and saucers.

We never really bought sets for ourselves..I guess I need to soon as all the plates we've had since ...er..1988 or so are starting to break and leave with with not enough for our family of 5 without having 1 or more mis-matches.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am no medical expert, but from shows and reading medical journals and publications, people that hoard (like the show hoarders) are usually doing it to deflect from other issues going on. Just like addicts to drugs which includes alcohol

I do host dinners, and have dates over...so my dish set (very nice ones with cutlery from Europe) which match by the way, are a set of 2 x 8 (dinner plates, saucers, dessert, cups)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    how many dishes sets do you have ?

i'm asking because it seemed mom was addicted to it

i gave
    one with pink flowers
    one white almost brand new
    kept
    the one for special occasions we both knew would be mine after her (not in use)
    kept
    the one almost new she gave me when she bought the white one (not in use)
    and i found
    one in the storage (a part of it is with my other dishes to be used)
    she also had oval plates for when we eat lobster, club sandishes, etc
    and i had already have my own (in use)

after all, i think she was addicted to gadjets.....i didn't tell you yet how many vacuum sets she owns

+ i think i won't need to buy cleaners for a long time....it's only a few things ...there are a lot, lot more.....
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Like Natalka, we have a "nothing matches" set. It's all Corelle. The main set is Country Cornflower Blue.

As for china, we have a set of Old Country Roses which rarely gets used.
    Natalka, macw1960, dededi and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have three sets, one pretty much intact we use everyday, another good set only for special occasions and the last that stays in the china cabinet which no one is allowed near. Anyone goes near them my wife's eyes go cross eyed and she gets severe shakes. I am exaggerating a bit but not a lot. NO CHILDREN ALLOWED NEAR THEM AT ALL.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by padyofurniture View Post
    Like Natalka, we have a "nothing matches" set. It's all Corelle. The main set is Country Cornflower Blue.

As for china, we have a set of Old Country Roses which rarely gets used.
    ohhh..my mum has a set of Old Country Roses which is being left to my sister.. I get the Japanese coffee set.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, I love Old Country Roses! My mom's set was Chantilly - went to my second oldest sister.

I've been looking for some Corelle, actually.

Have you ever seen dishes you wish you had? Back over a dozen years ago, Zellers had these Martha Stewart Corelle dishes, in a beautiful viola pattern. We were really poor then, but I bought two cereal bowls and two luncheon plates. Could not afford the whole set for $20 clearance. (seems crazy now!)
    But I would love to have a whole set, they are really pretty!

Silk, macw1960, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Davetherave View Post
    We have three sets, one pretty much intact we use everyday, another good set only for special occasions and the last that stays in the china cabinet which no one is allowed near. Anyone goes near them my wife's eyes go cross eyed and she gets severe shakes. I am exaggerating a bit but not a lot. NO CHILDREN ALLOWED NEAR THEM AT ALL.
    LOL on the last few sentences! I can relate.

However, it seems silly to not use china more - otherwise, what, it just waits til it gets passed down.
    That said, our son (yes, he's a man) has already expressed a hope that he hopes he'll be getting our wedding china - well, of course he will!
    macw1960, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i have 1 double set of dishes (8 bowls, plates, small plates, mugs) and that is about it they are a nice classic white..though a tad heavy because they are square and have a bit of a wave look to them.. we also have a double set of utensils (8 of everything)

i don't entertain so i don't need anything fancy, nor do i have the space to store anything relatively formal to use once in a blue moon
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

First of all I love that viola Corelle Natalka!
    I seem to be the collector of dead people's china!!
    I have a full 12 place setting and all the extras of Old Country Rose of my Mother in laws.
    A set of Johnson Brothers (must be at least 80 years old) called Olde English of my great Aunts, I use this as my formal dinner ware.I have all the platters etc as well.
    I also have an old everyday set of my mothers that I have never used because of sentimental reasons.It is packed away for my oldest daughter.
    A beautiful set of plain Ironstone that are really old and unsafe to eat off of of my grandmother's!!
    And finally an every day set of plain white square dishes.
    Not to mention two boxes of tea cups and saucers from the 50's -60's
    Do I need these...nope but I keep getting left these and I feel it is not right to just donate them.
    I do have three daughters and two of them want a set but really they are just packed away safely in boxes. I keep my favorite set in the china cabinet.
    What do people do with sentimental things like this that you can't possibly use but are family heirlooms.
    I hope my daughters want them someday. I also have a 24..yes 24 place settings of Flair by Rogers Brothers silver place settings with all the serving pieces of my mothers, as well as a 12 place set of silver of my mother in laws. Sigh..china is a sore spot in our house, at least I have the storage room!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have a set of 8 ironstone ,a set of 8 dishwasher safe !!!! a set of 4 Corelle and a set of 4 plastic ones.
    I switch the 2 eight sets from time to time & use the others at the same time.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Two sets of six servings of Corelle and one set of old china which is a twelve serving set.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    I am no medical expert, but from shows and reading medical journals and publications, people that hoard (like the show hoarders) are usually doing it to deflect from other issues going on. Just like addicts to drugs which includes alcohol

I do host dinners, and have dates over...so my dish set (very nice ones with cutlery from Europe) which match by the way, are a set of 2 x 8 (dinner plates, saucers, dessert, cups)
    i think for some, they are people who knew WW and 1929 crisis , mom was born the big crash day...
    they knew what it's like missing things and they don't want it coming again so they collect in case it will be used sometimes
    + mom had all the storage place to have it all ....
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Oct 17th, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i too have '' nothing matches'' set....i have some from the old set we bought when we got married....still the best one to me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information