• 1 Post By Frugalbigmama
  • 1 Post By brunt
  • 2 Post By xbbx
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen

Thread: INCREASE in Required Downpayment from CMHC- Effective Feb/15/2016

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced the new down payment structure for government-backed mortgages early Friday. Effective February 15th, the minimum down payment for the portion of a house above $500,000 (if applicable) will be 10%. If the house costs less than $500K, the min is still 5%.

HOWEVER. . . that 10% is only for the portion ABOVE the $500k amount

i.e. House cost $600k

You will be required to come up with 5% of the first $500k = $25k
    Then 10% of the additional $100k = $10k

Any questions, let me know.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Lynn49, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

personally I think this is a good thing.
    maggiespice likes this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very interesting. I too think that is a wise thing. After all when you get into that kind of money, I feel if all you can afford is the very minimum down payment, than later on down the road you may run into trouble by not being able to make the Mortgage payments at all.

With the exception of my first home, I would always put minimum 25 percent down plus more. (I refused to give CMHC a penny, as this too is nothing but a money grab).
    Colsgirl likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    Very interesting. I too think that is a wise thing. After all when you get into that kind of money, I feel if all you can afford is the very minimum down payment, than later on down the road you may run into trouble by not being able to make the Mortgage payments at all.

With the exception of my first home, I would always put minimum 25 percent down plus more. (I refused to give CMHC a penny, as this too is nothing but a money grab).
    Same! Even considering buying a rental unit now and still will put 25 down I think
    Colsgirl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Same! Even considering buying a rental unit now and still will put 25 down I think
    Good for You! Generally, it's good to have at least 20% down on a rental anyways.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Down payments up, interest rates up, oil down. Not good for future price of real estate. About darned time.

The house in which I was born is in a smallish town with little prospects in the way of employment. The house was purchased brand new in 1962 for the price equal to two years of my father's pay. He was a high school dropout working in a semi-skilled job. The last time that this house sold (a couple of years ago), it went for a price equal to four times the pay that is average for my field, with a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering. Same land, worse job situation, house subject to half a century's worth of decay, effectively well over twice the price in real terms. This makes no sense.

Zero down payments and forty year amortizations were outright stupid. Five percent down payment is not enough. And of course, CMHC is an abomination that should not exist in its current form - people don't realize that it protects banks, not homeowners.

So, a positive step, but only one of many that need to happen to have some semblance of sanity come back to the housing market.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I havent bought a home yet, and dont understand the process... but i just feel this wouldn't stop the foreign investors buying homes in Vancouver, or helping with the increasing prices.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, you're right Xbbx. It doesn't stop foreign investors at all. (That's politics for you!) It's more to curb Canadians in putting themselves in dangerous position of over extending themselves. . . although only minimally.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information