User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: 2015 Christmas sweets! Please share!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yes, there's a baking thread, but it's been a while since there was a dedicated thread for Christmas sweets.

Please post what you are baking, or have baked, with recipes if you possibly could. Photos would be awesome, too.

Just post recipes which are tried and true! Thanks so much!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Natalka; Fri, Dec 11th, 2015 at 03:05 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice post! i like my treats sweet and savory - like with salt or bacon would be nice to find some cool recipes that were not super sweet

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Raisin Walnut Slice (tastes like buttertarts)
    ------------------
    Base:
    1/2 c butter/margarine
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    Mix and rub together til it resembles cornmeal. Press in a 9x9 pan.
    Bake in 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.
    When done, remove pan - put oven up to 325 degrees

Topping:
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1 t vanilla
    2 t flour
    1 cup raisins (I use sultanas, if too dry, soak a bit in hot water, then squeeze out)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    Mix together and pour over partially baked crust.
    Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Butterscotch Confetti Squares
    -----------------------------

1/4 cup butter/margarine
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1 cup butterscotch chips
    250g bag mini coloured marshmallows
    (can add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and/or 1/2 cup medium coconut - I add both)

Melt butter and peanut butter in large pan on low heat. Stir in chips til melted. Cool til barely warm.
    Add marshmallows, nuts, and coconut - stir till all coated.

Line 9X9 pan with wax paper, pack mixture in, and refrigerate.

Last year when I made these, instead of putting in a pan, I used mini muffin cups - and now that's the only way I'll make them - so much easier to serve.

Last edited by Natalka; Fri, Dec 11th, 2015 at 04:15 PM.

I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

~drool awesome thread!
    SillyLoocie, Natalka, Silk and 3 others like this.

Still keeping the faith SillyLoocie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Name:  heavenly fudge.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  67.9 KB

I have asked my SIL to please send me the recipe for this Heavenly Fudge. It is topped with white chocolate & cherry chip morsels.

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

I made these cookies yesterday and they turned out fantastic!!

Recipe HERE
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Made these as well, I like them better than traditional sugar cookies. I used some really good sea salt that I got as a gift on the advent train (thanks, @Briwantstosave ) and they have a slight salty/sweet thing going on

Recipe HERE
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I made homemade Turtles last night, well the caramel and pecan part and will dip them in Chocolate tonight!Recipe here.http://www.chasingtomatoes.ca/2009/0...e-turtles.html

I also made ginger crinkles, magic cookie bars and whipped shortbread, i tried a new recipe last week, white chocolate, cherry shortbread, so pretty.http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...bread-cookies/
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Sat, Dec 12th, 2015 at 10:42 AM.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Christmas crack

Ingredients:

50 saltine crackers (approx.)
    2 sticks (1 cup) butter, cubed
    1 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
    2 cups chocolate chips
    1/2 to 1 cup M&M's, chopped nuts or sliced almonds

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
    Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray and then line the pan with saltine crackers.
    Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low medium-low heat. Stir until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.
    Once it's nice and bubbly, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife... however it doesn't have to be perfect. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn't harden.
    Place pan in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
    Remove pan from oven and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the toffee while it's still hot. Let the chocolate chips melt for a few minutes and then spread all over the toffee with a spatula. Sprinkle M&M's (or nuts) on top and then place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Once chocolate has hardened break pieces off the foil and in an container. It will stay fresh for 1 - 2 weeks.

For variation use graham crackers.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just trying to prep things and get them into the freezer ahead for Xmas. Today I made pastry and prepped apple dumplings. In the core hole I placed a blob of caramel sauce, some pecans pieces and a few cranberries, I smeared the inside pastry with the butter/brown sugar/spices mixture.
    Then made 2 batches of cookies dough ( 1 Gingerbread, 1 Sugar cookies ) I like cookie cutters, I have waaaay too many, made Xmas trees, bells, stars, angels, snowflakes, and of course many sizes of Gingerbread men ( and women! ), I have this hilarious big G'man pan!
    ( see link shows pic )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1608771...ectorid=229466

I filled and smooshed the dough into it and smoothed it all out, then baked. He is adorable! I might pipe all his outer edges using Gingerbread house type icing ( Royal Icing? ), then give him buttons and a goofy face. He is in the freezer now secure inside an old Board game box wrapped in tissue paper, we can't have him breaking any limbs now.
    Sorry about no pics, I have no way to do it here.

babies teach us acceptance

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Love that pan, WOB! It's so cute!

Speaking of cookie cutters - I have a set for the 12 Days of Christmas that includes a cookie cutter for each of the days, from the partridge to the drummer (or maybe it was a drum - haven't used them in years and they are packed away, otherwise I would have checked!). The set also came with some bonus cutters for other occasions, like one of a turkey for Thanksgiving, and one of a birthday cake.

I don't know how you all find the time to bake as much as you do - I'm envious!

Silk
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

2008 smartcanuck recipe's from redmouse. I have made a few of these.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/54213-r...retzels-canada

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Sugar Pie
    1 uncooked pie shell 10 inch
    1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup carnation milk
    1 egg beaten
    2 heaping tablespoons flour
    Mix sugar and flour. Add milk.
    Heat until thickened stirring lots. Boil slowly for 5 minutes.
    Remove from heat.
    Mix some of the sauce into egg then add to mixture. Stir well.
    Put into pie shell.
    Cook at 400 *f for 10 minutes, Then reduce heat to 300*f and cook until golden brown about 30 minutes.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Attachment 300827

Butterhorn Rolls

MAKES 32

3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening, melted
    1/2cup sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 7-gram package active dry yeast
    3 eggs, beaten
    4 1/2 cups sifted flour
    3 tbsp. butter, melted

1. Scald milk by heating in a small saucepan over medium heat until bubbles appear around inside edge of pan and milk is about to boil. Pour scalded milk into a large mixing bowl. Add shortening, sugar, and salt, stir until sugar dissolves, then set aside to cool until lukewarm, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl and set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.

2. Add eggs and yeast mixture to milk mixture in bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Gradually add flour, stirring until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes. Shape dough into a ball and lightly dust with flour. Transfer dough to a large clean bowl, cover with a clean, damp kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and set in a warm spot to let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3. Lightly grease two baking sheets with some of the butter and set aside. Turn dough out onto a clean surface, divide in half, then shape each piece of dough into a ball. Roll dough balls out into 14" circles, then brush each with melted butter, and cut each circle into sixteenths, making 32 wedges in all. Starting with rounded edge and working toward pointed end, roll up each wedge. Arrange rolled dough wedges, pointed-end side facing down to keep wedge from unrolling, on prepared baking sheets about 2" apart. Brush tops and sides with some of the remaining butter, loosely cover with a clean, damp kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm spot to let rise for 45 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake rolls until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped, about 25 minutes. Set rolls aside to cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information