User Tag List

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree2324Likes

Thread: April Frugal Chatter 2016

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello Folks!
    WRT stockpiling - I never have enough coupons to really take advantage of large stockpiling but if I do find an "incredible sale" on something we will use - I do try to overbuy a bit. We stockpiled bar soap for a while and when I opened a package it had all gone moldy - so that was not a good idea ( I have no ideal why the fond size just changed!)
    I wound up with a number of things that needed cooking last night and so "went for it" - roasted 2 turkey legs which we had tonight for supper - used up chicken bits to make a "soup" but I put in so much rice that it turned into a side dish which will go on all week!
    DH put together an omelet on Saturday which, unfortunately, gave him food poisoning - what an awful 24 hours that was. We're still hoping that his blood levels are ok for them to
    do chemo tomorrow.

He's feeling much better but I felt so sorry for him - it was scary!

So today I went through the fridge and turfed anything that was even remotely looking like we shouldn't eat it. The eggs still have to go. But tomorrow night is when we put out the garbage - so they'll go then.

I have to try to find the time to do a "basics" shop for me. I have been venturing off my recommended diet and I have managed to put 10 lb. back on and I feel crappy. I am going to go through the "good snacks" list and try to stock up on things that I can eat as well as DH. Nuts are good and I don't mind those styrophome rice crackers. Fruit and vegetables - but it's so hard to get out to shop.

I bought an "Easter Cake" which they had on the clearance rack at SDM yesterday that I plan to take in to the oncology suite tomorrow to share as snacks. I need to think about trying to take in something to munch on because we have been staying there until 12:30ish. They feed the patients who have to stay that long but not the visitors - so I wind up grabbing something at Tim's.

Well, I should take the doggie for his last perambulation. of the night.

I love reading all your posts.

Oh yes - I couldn't believe it when I finally ran out of body wash - it seemed that someone just kept putting new ones in the back as I took them out the front. But now I can't BELIEVE what they are charging for body wash and deodorant!!! I used to be able to get deodorant for about .50 but that is VERY RARE!

Must go. Good night, folks!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Food poisoning! Oh no! Poor guy! Hope he is feeling better.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Beautiful sunny day here today! I pulled out packages of ground beef and pork last night. On the menu tonight is homemade burgers on the bbq with ceaser salad and sliced up cucumbers on the side! Then finish up the laundry lol...never ending. I was good and put a pile away this morning while waiting for the kids to get ready for school and pulled a comforter out of the washer to hang to dry.
    Have a great day!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    We did well on tax return. Paying off our LOC (the second vehicle we purchased balance), taking care of some car stuff and starting saving for our bay window replacement. Outside of our mortgage. Debt-free again.

EDIT: I want to celebrate with you! We bought two new-to-us vehicles last year and paid probably close to $15 000 off in down payments and instalments in less than a year. Sometimes to see the light ahead, we need to celebrate from where we came!!!

@Granger : Congratulations on paying off your LOC!!! I've never used the llama picture before. It seemed appropriate...

I always see coupons for things I don't need and never end up taking any. A few years ago, people just went nuts on couponing in this city. I saw a lady stick her cart at the end of an aisle, place her arm to the left of the shelf, and sweep every single bottle of Dove into her cart. Now that's shelf clearing! I was stuck behind the Dove cart at the cashier, and she pulled out a wad of coupons and counted them out like a banker counts bills.

Tearpads would disappear quickly, and I mean it would look as though they were taken quickly. Store displays were ripped, plastic hangers were taken too, as if they were grabbed with both hands and the person just kept walking (or running). Nowadays, I only see coupons for things like denture cream or senior dog food.

It only takes one person to negate the deal for everyone else and it seems that these "coupon collectors" are competing with each other. I can't compete with that, and I don't think I have the time or energy to.

On the bright side, I met a lovely older gentleman in the WM who I was able to help PM on the produce in his cart (no phone). He was impressed with the savings, but we got stuck at a cashier who had no idea how to PM produce. I also found a $1 in the shopping cart in the docking bay.

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    SweetSparrow: Dirt & yogurt made me laugh. Such an interesting combo.
    Our blinds are room darkening for the boys & they were a custom install, but the one in the older teens room can pull down or up and since his room overlooks the neighbours yards this was worth the investment.
    On the topic of stockpile I would say I am in a holding pattern. When I first started couponing I bought a lot of cleaning products as they were often free. But now I prefer more natural methods (or not cleaning at all) so while is still use them I am not replacing any so that great scrubbing bubbles offer has passed me by.
    @lilo0003 : I am considering a custom install only because the last time I used a drill, it wasn't pretty. I think I'd have to practice drilling straight for about an hour beforehand.

Moi aussi! I have some older cleaning products, but I just didn't feel comfortable using them after LO came along. For the longest time, I just cleaned with water. I don't really get why everything has to be disinfected. LO gets that whatever food touches the floor is compost and none of us lick floors. I'm not sure that we get piles of mold growing everywhere either, and things look just as clean after I wash with some dish soap. I know if food touches it, I won't get sick from it.

The only thing I use harsh chemicals for may be to clean hard water stains or clearing drains. For everything else, vinegar and baking soda seem to work okay. Actually, when we first moved in, I did use a harsh oven cleaner to clean the decade old stove and possibly a rust/lime remover around the drains.

I did pick up two bottles of Scrubbing Bubbles for my two brothers though!

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    WRT stockpiling - I never have enough coupons to really take advantage of large stockpiling but if I do find an "incredible sale" on something we will use - I do try to overbuy a bit. We stockpiled bar soap for a while and when I opened a package it had all gone moldy - so that was not a good idea ( I have no ideal why the fond size just changed!)

DH put together an omelet on Saturday which, unfortunately, gave him food poisoning - what an awful 24 hours that was. We're still hoping that his blood levels are ok for them to
    do chemo tomorrow.

I have to try to find the time to do a "basics" shop for me. I have been venturing off my recommended diet and I have managed to put 10 lb. back on and I feel crappy. I am going to go through the "good snacks" list and try to stock up on things that I can eat as well as DH. Nuts are good and I don't mind those styrophome rice crackers. Fruit and vegetables - but it's so hard to get out to shop.

Oh yes - I couldn't believe it when I finally ran out of body wash - it seemed that someone just kept putting new ones in the back as I took them out the front. But now I can't BELIEVE what they are charging for body wash and deodorant!!! I used to be able to get deodorant for about .50 but that is VERY RARE!
    @avoncallingu : I've never heard of soap going moldy! I'm nervous for the bars in the basement, though they're mainly used for pre-scrubbing for laundry. I suppose if there was mold, I'd probably cut it off and scrub stains with it anyways before sticking it in the washing machine.

I hope your DH is feeling better!

Those styrofoam rice crackers are one of my guilty pleasures. The cheddar ones have a crazy amount of sodium, but the plain ones are so hard to eat! I suppose I could try them with hummus, but that may be really messy.

Prices are not the same as they used to be. DH still thinks butter costs $1 and was shocked when I showed him an ad that listed the regular price. I think his grocery store prices hasn't moved from 1982. It boggles my mind that he used to buy himself and his roommate groceries at least up to 2008!

We also have a seemingly endless supply of body wash, but I give to family when they run out. My parents can't get out some days, so the stockpile seems larger than what we'd use for our family.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@Sweets parrow- Check out the Giant Tiger flyer posted- They have curtains and rods in it.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Granger congrats on paying off your LOC, that's incredible the amount of time you achieved this goal
    @avoncallingu your poor dh, hope all goes well with the blood work & chemo

Our local furniture thrift store posted a few items that caught my eye, I have 2 items on hold. FIL will be taking me at Noon and need to run into shoppers quickly for my prescription and some great points offers.

And I rec'd the exchange your points email last night, I was able to transfer 96K sdm points to PC points, however, slightly disappointed that I could only do 12 transfers.....Still super happy was hoping to transfer all my sdm points.

Anyone who has rec'd the exchange your points have you rec'd more than 1 offer after transferring points? just curious

Supper tonight is something with a pork loin thinking pork burritos as my picky 15 year really liked them the last time I made them.

Anyways off to the races, wishing everyone a wonderful day.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @Granger congrats on paying off your LOC, that's incredible the amount of time you achieved this goal
    @avoncallingu your poor dh, hope all goes well with the blood work & chemo

Our local furniture thrift store posted a few items that caught my eye, I have 2 items on hold. FIL will be taking me at Noon and need to run into shoppers quickly for my prescription and some great points offers.

And I rec'd the exchange your points email last night, I was able to transfer 96K sdm points to PC points, however, slightly disappointed that I could only do 12 transfers.....Still super happy was hoping to transfer all my sdm points.

Anyone who has rec'd the exchange your points have you rec'd more than 1 offer after transferring points? just curious

Supper tonight is something with a pork loin thinking pork burritos as my picky 15 year really liked them the last time I made them.

Anyways off to the races, wishing everyone a wonderful day.
    I thought you loved SDM redemptions?

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Chillin' out (literally) at the chemo suite. As DH would say, "You could hang meat in here!"

He's nicely comfy with warm blankets on him and having a little snooze.

Good feedback from the doctor this morning so things are good.His potassium is low so he has to take some supplements and BANANAS! Our puppy is going to love this! He loves bananas and knows he always gets the end bits.

Well, I will catch up later!
    Have a good Wednesday!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @Sweetsparrow- Check out the Giant Tiger flyer posted- They have curtains and rods in it.
    @Frugalbigmama: I did see the faux silk curtains at GT! I'll see if I can stop in this weekend. I love the return policy there.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @jasperandchar : I've heard of at least one person who got the exchange your points offer again after they had already transferred. I keep hoping for my first offer!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes Giant Tiger is great for returns. The ladies that work at mine are really friendly and nice. Well one looks miserable lol

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Starting to plan our summer.
    Blue Jays game for sure (with my sisters family too- great big ol' family fun)
    Also looking at the Toronto City pass. May be worth it but hate that it has to be used up in 9 days. Wish it was good for 2 months.
    Many festivals to attend. Farmers Markets. The beach! Camping trip.
    So much to do and so little time so have to start planning now!
    I noticed in the new Toronto 2016 guide that Ripley's Aquarium is a new addition to the City Pass as of March! Check the 2016 magazine thread for coupon offers!
    I didn't see an ad for the 3Pass which is good for 60 days at 3 museums but it cannot be activated on the day of first use-has to be bought in advance and activated online before day of use. http://3pass.ca/MPW/what

The Market Gallery at St. Lawrence Market will have a 60s Toronto exhibit, should you like to walk east of the Dome and explore Front St. E.
    Crochetlady and avoncallingu like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I noticed in the new Toronto 2016 guide that Ripley's Aquarium is a new addition to the City Pass as of March! Check the 2016 magazine thread for coupon offers!
    I didn't see an ad for the 3Pass which is good for 60 days at 3 museums but it cannot be activated on the day of first use-has to be bought in advance and activated online before day of use. http://3pass.ca/MPW/what

The Market Gallery at St. Lawrence Market will have a 60s Toronto exhibit, should you like to walk east of the Dome and explore Front St. E.
    Yes!! This is why I think it would be worth it for us because we want to go there (Ripleys) and now it is part of the pass. Costco sells the pass cheaper then through the actual website.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thanks, I checked out that museum pass. Something to keep in mind for down the road!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

granger great that you paid your loc off
    avoncallyu-hope hubby is okay -food poisoning

-well since last night I have battled a high fever ,sore throat and was sick twice oh and running to the washroom-that's 3 rounds this winter of being sick -I guess watching a toddler -getting run down is not good -only watched her Monday this week thankgoodness -finally got my fever down to 99.F-so asked hubby to wash dishes and put a load in or else I will run out of p'j bottoms -just decided to come on her for a minute now back to bed

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I thought you loved SDM redemptions?
    Last year at Christmas I used my sdm points for Christmas shopping as I had enough points to purchase large priced items. I got dh an expensive camera which he loves, my mom her expensive perfume ($90) and then got stocking stuffers.

I was very happy I had enough points BUT to be honest my 2 local sdms don't have laptops, gaming systems (which they already have) or tvs (which we don't need) and such so going forward I really don't have any large priced items to purchase at shoppers .

I will of course get my mom her perfume again this Christmas but besides that the guys don't need any big ticket items so I for that reason decided to convert the points.

I'm sure I will have enough for 2 if not 3 top level redemptions come Christmas time this year anyways....

We also used pc points for Christmas this past year and I loved the fact that I could get gcs and then shop at those stores so no out of pocket or little .

Also my local 2 shoppers don't have large stock of items for example I went today to buy 4 boxes of 2 different types of granola bars and they only had 3 boxes of 1 type and then only 1 box of the other type....so it throws me for a loop when my list is created and my plans gets unravelled.

blah blah I love shoppers and pc points too

I did 2 transactions today

1st spend $20 on food/snacks get 4K

2nd spend $20 on snacks/candy get 6K

This week sdm has 2 bags of pc chips (large bags) for $2 = $1.00 super cheap, they were that price last week as well, I purchased 2 bags last week for us to try salt & vinegar AND all dressed and they were super good. So I purchased 20 bags of chips today to get my 6K so we are stocked on chips for a while and can't beat the price.

SO yes @Frugalbigmama I do love redemptions but I like the gcs better
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information