User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Do NOT go to SDM for Passport Photos

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

After paying to park downtown and waiting over an hour, the passport photos I had done at SDM were rejected! The official at the passport office said SDM is a hit or miss for photos. When I called SDM they offered to retake them or refund them. I guess they figure that covers the inconvenience cause by their incompetence! What a joke. Do NOT risk the same thing happening to you.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    4sure5, toronto166 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get my passport photos done at Costco.
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  34.7 KB
    toronto166 and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, Costco is by far the best place to get passport photos taken...you just need to know someone with a membership
    toronto166 and Davetherave like this.
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We had our passport photos takes at sdm and we got our passports without a problem. Maybe it was just that particular person taking photos who didnt even know how to follow instructions.

But I agree that if someone gets denied a passport because of these photos, that particular store should cover all costs because of their own incompetence.
    toronto166 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've had mine done at SDM before, as well as Great Canadian Superstore without issue. It think the problem with your pic was due to the person who took them and a lack of experience and/or just being lazy/not caring. You should of course get your money back and mention to them the money you spent on parking (though I doubt they would reimburse you for that).
    Linda Evans and Davetherave like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I've had mine done at SDM twice. Never had a problem. Depends on the person taking the photo I guess. I've had my photos from Sears rejected. They refunded no problem
    GracieAnne and Davetherave like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Always have had ours done at CAA and have never had a problem with them. If you are a member try there perhaps.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

+1 for Costco as well. Also, they're the best price around.
    Davetherave likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    79 (100%)

Years ago, my SDM passport photos were also rejected. What a pain in the butt that was. There was, at the time, only a certain staff member who was trained on doing them (apparently not trained very well either). I'd never get them done there again. Avoid the hassle and go somewhere that does a good business doing them. I didn't realize Costco had such a good deal for them. I would definitely get them done there in the future.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I don't think it's fair to lump all SDMs together into the same category. Perhaps your thread title should have been "Do not go to SDM [insert location here] for passport photos"

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's not always the person taking the photo's fault. It also depends on the person processing your application. They could fail your photo but the next teller approves it. Passport photos are very hard to perfect. Sometimes it's the makeup a person is wearing or a shine to their skin they refuse to dab with a tissue etc. Something so small as a shadow that you many not see but the person approving the photo sees. Also the clothing you wear makes a big difference as well. NEVER wear white to have your passport photo taken.

It's really unfair to assume the technician is incompetent.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Wed, Jun 15th, 2016 at 10:03 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The PP office should take their own photos just like Driver License, Health Card etc. They can charge for it too.

Not sure why they don't do it. If other gov. offices like DL, Health Card, Citizenship card, Permanent Resident card can do it, so can the PP office.

This will eliminate this nonsense of photos being rejected etc.
    GoJays, seylz_gurl, MrsMer and 5 others like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My husband and so had their photos taken at SDM for their passports. No issues. My son was 10 months old then and his mouth was slightly gaping, but then they are more relaxed with babies.

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    The PP office should take their own photos just like Driver License, Health Card etc. They can charge for it too.

Not sure why they don't do it. If other gov. offices like DL, Health Card, Citizenship card, Permanent Resident card can do it, so can the PP office.

This is true, then they could have the photos in the exact specs they want. When I had my Philippine passport renewed, they took the photo and it was included in the passport fee. If the consulate of a third world country could do it, I'm sure the Canadian government could too, if they decide to do it.
    Davetherave likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post

I agree that the PP office should take the pictures for renewals. First time passport applicants need the back of the pictures signed by their guarantor so it's probably more convenient to get the photo taken at a spot closer to home than have to go to the PP office twice.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

that must have been frustrating. I got our passport photos at Costco and we needed a fairly quick turnaround so luckily no problems were encountered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information