User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Help an old lady get some curls? :)

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Hello...!

Ladies, I've tried so many products promising to put/maintain a curlier hairstyle that haven't worked, I thought I'd ask you all is you know of something that may work. Honestly, I stand in front of the thousand offerings in the aisles and can't make a decision anymore. My hair is white (not easy to curl), and just past shoulder-length.
    Where is Dippity-Do when I need it??!!
    Can anyone suggest a styling product that might help? Help??!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Silk, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

tried and true method....insert finger in light socket?
    bwahahaha!!! Oh yes baby I am back! This cold has knocked me for a loop but I cannot resist having some fun with you.

Sorry I am of no help. I still rake my mop up into a pony tail most days.
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Lynn, it's still made - packaging is just vastly different

http://www.walmart.ca/en/health-beau...N-4136+1021564

Do you use a curling iron? hot rollers?
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I use a styling putty Joico Brilliantine Pomade fixed by blow-drying to lift the hair away from my face http://www.canadabeautysupply.ca/joi...de-50ml-1-7oz/

It has more hold than a mousse or a gel, and doesn't melt when it's humid.

It's sticky so a little awful to use, but I use so little on a daily basis that a tub lasts me about 2 years. It's pretty potent. Maybe something like that?
    Lynn49, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

First of all... @walkonby........light socket?!! What a thing to say to an old lady, Missy!! So it's on, huh?? Okay....just watch your step!

@Natalka, I wouldn't have guessed they still made that stuff! I used it all the way through high-school! I'm absolutely going to pick some up next time I'm in there...now....if you can please find "Ice-O-Derm"? Loved that stuff...not a zit in 5 years!! My hair is too fine for a hot curling iron and I don't think they do much good to hair, although I have a curling 'brush'. Usually I blow-dry my hair to damp and stick it in rollers...large brush ones on top first, then those plastic ones with the part that clamps over them. I know that if I put them in when my hair's wet and left them on all day, I'd probably get the look I want, but darn it, curls fall out so quickly. I'd love a soft perm, just enough to hold a curl, but no one wants to perm such fine hair now!!

@lecale, looks good to me, but is it more of a short-hair styling goop, or can it be used for fluffy long curls? I know our DD uses something like that...perhaps I'll steal some one day and give it a try...never thought to use it, thank you!!!
    barbis9, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No more ice-o-derm, but it's working ingredient was ethanol, which you can get by prescription, apparently!

Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Hello...!
    Ladies, I've tried so many products promising to put/maintain a curlier hairstyle that haven't worked, I thought I'd ask you all is you know of something that may work. Honestly, I stand in front of the thousand offerings in the aisles and can't make a decision anymore. My hair is white (not easy to curl), and just past shoulder-length.
    Hi Lynn, Natalka has responded to your query about Dippity-Do.

I am also "old" and I have white/grey straight hair. I use a Karmin Salon Series hair straightener but obviously I use it to curl my hair. After shampooing & conditioning my hair I tend to leave it to air dry until it is just a little damp to the touch. I then put a drop of Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil on my palm & smoothing it between my palms before rubbing the ends and part way up the length of my hair. I do this section by section until I have covered all my hair. Normally 3 drops are sufficient for my short hair. I set my straightener to around 300 deg F and curl under my hair. I leave my hair until it is completely dry before I comb it through. My curls tend to last 2/3 days on the 3rd day it is still smooth but just curled under and on the 4th day it is shampoo day again. The argan oil acts as a heat protectant as well.
    Lynn49, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Why does this guy look so creepy!

[/QUOTE]
    Natalka, Lynn49, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Oh boy ! I wish i could help....i'm a natural curly hair ........i had once it Straitened and dh was ....thinking someone else took my place
    Natalka, Lynn49 and Ciel like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

For a slight curled under ponytail, style damp hair into a ponytail after putting some gel on the midsection to ends and then with hair elastic make a high ponytail. Use fingers or vented brush to curl the ends every few minutes as hair dries.
    Walkonby was onto something with the ponytail-when I have shoulder length hair (sort of fine straight hair but with a population of strands with crimped ends and am a member of the grey/white hair club too), I like my ends to look curled under so the high pony is good sometimes (obviously doing a ponytail on wet hair daily stresses the hair too much).
    Lynn49 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

To get a bottom flip I use a Kurl-Mi brush (ball brush)

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/koolatrononlin...mi-brush-2.gif

I totally recommend it.
    Silk and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My hair post chemo is also rather thin, was never very thick anyways, i wanted to get curly perm for a fuller look but all salons refused to do it saying it will destroy what's there now. Always on the look out for least chemical method for a bit more fullness and curls.
    Silk and Lynn49 like this.
    Please use my referral orange key code 47245085S1 for opening new Tangerine account and I will split the $50 bonus with you

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carrot&hl=en JOIN CARROT REWARDS using my referral invite code dipikag5521

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Hello...!

Quote Originally Posted by IthinkIcan View Post
    My hair post chemo is also rather thin, was never very thick anyways, i wanted to get curly perm for a fuller look but all salons refused to do it saying it will destroy what's there now. Always on the look out for least chemical method for a bit more fullness and curls.
    This product has great reviews for curling hair and helping hair look fuller:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...IK6Y9EEQB&th=1

There is also a version with only 14 rollers (vs 30) for $10 less. And also a more expensive one that is supposed to use ions or something like that (reviews I read said it's not worth it.) You can check the reviews on both .ca and .com

If anyone gets one, or has one! - would love to know how you like it. I was first interested in it years ago when I read about it on some websites but just recently discovered it was available through amazon.ca.

Silk
    Lynn49, IthinkIcan and AddyB like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Well, Ladies, I found my product..Dippity Do to the rescue once again! I've spent too much money on expensive "new" products that were either too heavy for my hair, or felt like my hair was like dirty straw...ugh. I bought the 'sport' version, because you know every has to be improved even though it was perfect to begin with!!
    I sure don't need much, and only use it on the bottom third and a wee bit scrunched in all over after that, and my flip or curls hold all day without feeling heavy or like a football helmet.

It's at Walmart, super cheap and that's what I'm sticking with.
    @IthinkIcan , I phoned just about every salon I'd go to here, and even with natural hair, no one would do a perm!! Only one place said she's give me a very light perm since my hair is so fine, but I haven't had it done, yet. Maybe for the summer when I mostly have it in a low ponytail...then I tie a ribbon bow over the elastic...black looks quite chi-chi-poo-poo...

Thank you for all your advice and help...sometimes the old stuff is still the best.

I think back to the 60s, when we had few choices in hair products (Mom and I always used Breck...mmmm..I can still imagine the scent) yet we looked every bit as good as the gals these days who have a gazillion products to choose from and spend hundreds of dollars on them!! Geez. I sound like my Mother!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information