User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: Anyone else find it hard to spend $170, $85 or even $60?

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i find the same issue... i don't need a new camera or any electronic.. limited space so we don't need summer beach tables i don't wear alot of make up so i can't spend it on that.. i don't think i've ever made a $50 purchase at shoppers it's pushing it to hit $30 for me, sometimes hard to get up to $20 and that's including the 6pk's of pepsi and milk! so spending them can be hard too.. right now they just sit there lol
    I'm starting to wonder quite seriously whether I should redeem smaller amounts, probably not 8k but possibly 22k when I spend more than $30 on a "normal" trip to SDM.

I know this means I'd get less value per point, but while I keep accumulating points and hoping for a situation that's not highly likely, namely that something will come up that will allow me to redeem 50k or 95k, I also keep paying for the small purchases I'm making with money while my points just sit there in a growing pile.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

same, i have enough points for maximum redemption level.. and i don't think i could think of anything that i'd want to buy on a maximum redemption
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    same, i have enough points for maximum redemption level.. and i don't think i could think of anything that i'd want to buy on a maximum redemption
    A possibility I'm keeping in mind as a Plan B or C is to redeem at the 95k level for something we don't need as a form of treat. The tablet I got a while back was partly like that; it's pretty likely I would have gotten us a second one eventually but didn't need to do so right then.

The thing is... the only new possibilities I've come up with since then are things we need even less, which is helping to nudge me toward the bird in hand-type idea of redeeming at least some of my points when I make normal purchases >$30.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Another way to use points is for baby shower gifts, ie) diapers, wipes, diaper cream. Or if you are crafty make supplies into a diaper cake!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have also taken my young adult children on shopping sprees. I warn them that we are redeeming points and off we go! I follow behind them with a calculator and say, "keep spending, keep spending" so much fun!! I only buy what I need and stuff on sale so always seems that the points are "free money". 2 out of my 3 kids are SDM people now because of points redemptions.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    I have also taken my young adult children on shopping sprees. I warn them that we are redeeming points and off we go! I follow behind them with a calculator and say, "keep spending, keep spending" so much fun!! I only buy what I need and stuff on sale so always seems that the points are "free money". 2 out of my 3 kids are SDM people now because of points redemptions.
    Kind of like you're an in-person gift card.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm almost at 95,000 points yet again, and I also have a hard time choosing what to buy at SDM on those bonus redemption weekends (that's the only time I ever redeem). My last 95,000 redemption was November 2016 where I redeemed 95,000 points, got 30,000 points back, and then earned 9000 points from the items I bought with the redeemed points. Almost one year later and now I am out of papertowel and bodywash....so I might need to redeem again. I still have plenty of shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and toothpaste so I won't be redeeming for those just yet.

Name:  DSC_1042.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  232.9 KB

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    I'm almost at 95,000 points yet again, and I also have a hard time choosing what to buy at SDM on those bonus redemption weekends (that's the only time I ever redeem). My last 95,000 redemption was November 2016 where I redeemed 95,000 points, got 30,000 points back, and then earned 9000 points from the items I bought with the redeemed points. Almost one year later and now I am out of papertowel and bodywash....so I might need to redeem again. I still have plenty of shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and toothpaste so I won't be redeeming for those just yet.
    In my case, while I can definitely relate to wanting to get the most value from my points when I redeem, another part of me isn't keen on knowingly stockpiling things that won't be used within a shorter time than a year-plus. Don't get me wrong; I have a few months' worth of quite a few things, so I do stock up, just not for as long as you do, not intentionally anyway.

It's basically a twist on the time value of money. The longer it will be until I use my Nth tube of toothpaste (or whatever), the less I value it. Not suggesting your way isn't best for you. just that it doesn't fit as well with my sense of values.
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    A possibility I'm keeping in mind as a Plan B or C is to redeem at the 95k level for something we don't need as a form of treat. The tablet I got a while back was partly like that; it's pretty likely I would have gotten us a second one eventually but didn't need to do so right then.

The thing is... the only new possibilities I've come up with since then are things we need even less, which is helping to nudge me toward the bird in hand-type idea of redeeming at least some of my points when I make normal purchases >$30.
    A loyalty program is only good if it works for you. So if redeeming for $30 worth of products is more manageable for you, I would do that. Yes, the points are worth more at the higher levels, but if it's not helping you cover needs and/or reasonable wants, then it's not a good fit for you. In reality, even at the lower redemption levels, Optimum offers great value if you've been earning those points with the high value personal offers and general offers.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    A loyalty program is only good if it works for you. So if redeeming for $30 worth of products is more manageable for you, I would do that. Yes, the points are worth more at the higher levels, but if it's not helping you cover needs and/or reasonable wants, then it's not a good fit for you. In reality, even at the lower redemption levels, Optimum offers great value if you've been earning those points with the high value personal offers and general offers.
    I only started paying more than passing attention to the program this summer, so my thoughts on it are probably still less than fully formed; i.e. evolving faster than if I'd been at it much longer. My first thought was to look to redeem for the most value, but it wasn't long before I realized that for me, this was easier in theory than in practice. That plus wanting to see how others address redeeming were the main reasons I started this thread.

Since then, the realization has grown that how to redeem is a highly personal matter of opinion, as well as that the best way can therefor vary significantly from one person to another, and probably also for the same person over time if his or her circumstances change enough.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I only started paying more than passing attention to the program this summer, so my thoughts on it are probably still less than fully formed; i.e. evolving faster than if I'd been at it much longer. My first thought was to look to redeem for the most value, but it wasn't long before I realized that for me, this was easier in theory than in practice. That plus wanting to see how others address redeeming were the main reasons I started this thread.

Since then, the realization has grown that how to redeem is a highly personal matter of opinion, as well as that the best way can therefor vary significantly from one person to another, and probably also for the same person over time if his or her circumstances change enough.
    True. I'm one of those people for whom circumstances have changed over time (no longer having any kids living with us) and that has changed how I'm using the program.

I think this thread has been interesting, as has provided insight into how people here are actually using the program.
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and nalaric like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

When I first started with the program, my son was a baby and we needed diapers, formula and wipes. Now that he is 7, we don't need those things anymore, so I find it really difficult to redeem for stuff. Since in Quebec you can't redeem for milk or OTC medications, I go over to Ontario once a year (usually in the fall) and stock up on Tylenol, Nyquil, etc. for the upcoming flu season. I will also redeem and get stuff that I can't really get for "free" with sales and coupons - ex. my husband's razor blade refills, my "special" exfoliant, etc.

I also don't wait to redeem at the top level. If I need the "extra" cash in a given week, I will go and use my points as needed. No need to wait for redemption time.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I've never been able to redeem Optimum points at the highest level -- a few years ago (like maybe 5, haha) we used to find crazy clearance deals on chocolate and stuff post-Easter/Christmas, so maybe back then we could've hit a total that high. I miss those sales! They used to stock us up on chocolate for months.
    I think my new plan is to redeem even when my total is only $10, since when I buy items (I factor in the points on the original purchase as though they were a discount) I always take the points to be worth what the worst-case redemption would get me... if that make sense.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by calculator View Post
    I've never been able to redeem Optimum points at the highest level -- a few years ago (like maybe 5, haha) we used to find crazy clearance deals on chocolate and stuff post-Easter/Christmas, so maybe back then we could've hit a total that high. I miss those sales! They used to stock us up on chocolate for months.
    I think my new plan is to redeem even when my total is only $10, since when I buy items (I factor in the points on the original purchase as though they were a discount) I always take the points to be worth what the worst-case redemption would get me... if that make sense.
    Interesting. My mind seems to work the other way around. If I were to factor in the point value as a discount at time of purchase, I'm not sure I'd remember when I go to redeem those points that regarding them as a discount again would be double-counting.
    barbis9, nalaric, dededi and 1 others like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Interesting. My mind seems to work the other way around. If I were to factor in the point value as a discount at time of purchase, I'm not sure I'd remember when I go to redeem those points that regarding them as a discount again would be double-counting.
    I think the biggest difference is that you mentioned you are able to find things at SDM for prices that are comparable to what you would pay elsewhere. I have a hard time finding items like that (and especially working my total up to whatever the threshold is for the 20x the points offers to apply.) So for me, the bonus points offers are what make purchases at SDM worthwhile, though I still have to factor in the points to be able to countenance spending the sticker price on those items.

But that may change in a couple of weeks, when no one will be price matching the little stores, and I'll have to find other ways to compensate. And this thread is great, with everyone's suggestions of ways to make shopping at Shoppers more efficient/cost-effective (:
    barbis9, dededi and Arjon like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information