User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree290Likes

Thread: Anyone else find it hard to spend $170, $85 or even $60?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll probably end up buying tons of toilet paper when it goes on sale along with the usual stuff like eggs, milk, butter etc.
    barbis9, Ciel, dededi and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

In my first years of really accumulating points, I mostly redeemed for gifts, which included games and PS3 accessories for dh, cologne for him, and perfume, make up and others for his daughters. I also picked up my Kobo there, which I think may have been the best use of points ever. I wouldn't have gotten an e-reader without it being a redemption, but now that I have it, it makes things so great. No longer need to lug lots of books with me when we go on vacation.

I also redeemed for a tablet two years ago for dh for Christmas, and one for me this year at Christmas, and am really happy with those.

In the past couple of years, my redemptions have mostly been for staples, so food or household items. I've been able to do those at the 38K and 50K amount, even though it's now just dh and I at home. It includes milk, bread, eggs, facial tissues, chips, cereal, granola bars, etc. but almost all of the items will be on sale, so I do get value for my points.
    barbis9, Ciel, 4sure5 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My SDM sells steak, burgers, sausage etc so sometimes will redeem for that in the summer.
    ROMEO, avoncallingu and Arjon like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I love shoppers -not far from my house either-I have redeemed for high end perfume a few years back ,baby formula for my grandson ,basic everyday needs ,some meds a small patio table and chairs
    I accumulate a lot even thou there is only 2 in our household as I buy my milk -always get extra points for the milk in my personal offers ,bread ,cereal ,eggs,butter when they are on sale

-I just was travelling and needed meds so I thought yep shoppers or Walmart which both were close -picked shoppers and got 42 points (would rather have points)-they also had lovely homemade butter tarts I bought for my daughter-in-law's birthday 4.89 for 6 pecan ones

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with most of you, I don't use my points unless the item is on sale. I also like to redeem at the highest level to get the most value. I have redeemed for gifts, when they were on sale, PlayStation for my son, amope, Tanda system, Olympus under water camera, GoPro...Most of these items were cheaper at SDM, than Other stores. When they have a one day sale, or their electronic sales days their prices are comparable to other stores. I also buy everything I need toilet paper, cleaning products, vitamins etc!!
    Natalka, ROMEO, dagney and 5 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I shop for sales and maximum points. So when redeeming I alway try for the max redemption, of sale items, as this is the best bang for your buck! So when I redeem it is for exclusively multiple sale items ie) toilet paper, coffee (only when it is on sale), dish soap, laundry soap, pop, butter, juice, peanut butter, jam, soup. I think if you start thinking of buying on multiples, you will meet the top levels of redemption.
    ie) 4 toilet paper, 4 coffee, 4 butter, 4 laundry soap, etc, etc.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    I shop for sales and maximum points. So when redeeming I alway try for the max redemption, of sale items, as this is the best bang for your buck! So when I redeem it is for exclusively multiple sale items ie) toilet paper, coffee (only when it is on sale), dish soap, laundry soap, pop, butter, juice, peanut butter, jam, soup. I think if you start thinking of buying on multiples, you will meet the top levels of redemption.
    A good thought, one of the first that I considered, but since there are only two of us, even 2 or 3 of quite a few things can last us six, months, a year or more. Plus we're already stocked up on some things. So, at least in the past few weeks when I've been looking, I haven't come up with enough in any single week to reach much over $30. Will keep trying though.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Coffee was on sale for $7.99 a can (I think it was) a few weeks ago. My man needs his coffee lol. So stocked up on 20x the points. He is happy and I am happy
    ROMEO, avoncallingu, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I use to redeem every month with 5 in the family and my wonderful SDM card points. Now with only 2 of us, the points are much slower to accumulate so this multiple buying works for us. When I have overflow, I just make up donation bags for my 3 kids. One in university and the other 2 with mortgages. I use to buy diapers when the grandkids were small using coupons, bonus points and VIP coupons (that was a blast for grandma!) = free diapers.
    Last edited by dagney; Wed, Jul 5th, 2017 at 10:30 PM.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You might want to change from how I can spend my points to a more extreme How Can I Invest My Points
    -Look for a charity that gives tax receipts for your donation. Best example is all those money making tampons everyone got.
    -Do you need supplies for work, office, or any other place. Maybe it's your turn to bring in snacks for everyone.
    -Trade your bargains for what you want like free housekeeping, lawn mowing, looking after the place while your on vacation
    -Sell the items for profit
    -Think about upcoming birthdays, Christmas, anniversary, family reunions, class reunions, graduations,
    -Wait for another invite chance to convert SDM points to PC points

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks. It does look like I may well have to think outside the box in order to avoid simply making multiple $30 redemptions, so I appreciate your providing ideas that show some creative thinking.
    avoncallingu, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I use to redeem every month with 5 in the family and my wonderful SDM card points. Now with only 2 of us, the points are much slower to accumulate so this multiple buying works for us. When I have overflow, I just make up donation bags for my 3 kids. One in university and the other 2 with mortgages. I use to buy diapers when the grandkids were small using coupons, bonus points and VIP coupons (that was a blast for grandma!) = free diapers.
    I remember when I had bought my 1st house my Dad would come visit me at work with bags of food he just bought. It was fun going through the bags to see what we would make for dinner. I will totally do the same thing for my kids. I'm sure my son's would both appreciate HBA items (heck I do I hate paying for that stuff) and a bunch of toilet paper! I will be that mom
    dagney, Ciel and SavvyLady like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I ended up redeeming 95k for the tablet that's in the new flyer for $180 this weekend. Not something we absolutely needed, but the two of us had been sharing one, so while I wasn't fully intending to get another, the thought had crossed my mind multiple times.

After calling a store last night to find out the model number, I did a quick price comparison. The price range was $170 to $200, so considering SDM's included a $25 gift card, SDM even had the best deal by $15.
    barbis9, Ciel, SavvyLady and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Like everyone already said I take advantage of 20X, purchasing a gift card first, and combos of really good sale prices and their personalized offers and regular coupons to grow my points.

As far as redeeming I tend to wait for the BIG redemptions they have a couple of times a year (including the points back offers). We technically only redeem for things we need/use. I use those times to stock up on things like my Mia brush refills, makeup and perfume/cologne plus things like TP and other staples.

Currently I have enough points for just shy of 4 redemptions at the max level and I cant wait for the big redemption that usually comes towards the end of the year. Mind you the first redemption I ever did was back in the day when they had Mega redemption and it was hard to get $250 worth of stuff but I could totally do it now

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I ended up redeeming 95k for the tablet that's in the new flyer for $180 this weekend. Not something we absolutely needed, but the two of us had been sharing one, so while I wasn't fully intending to get another, the thought had crossed my mind multiple times.

After calling a store last night to find out the model number, I did a quick price comparison. The price range was $170 to $200, so considering SDM's included a $25 gift card, SDM even had the best deal by $15.
    I redeemed for a tablet today too. I got the $130 one though, and a bunch of pop and some other things to get me to the $170
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information