• 2 Post By anhh
  • 3 Post By xlxo
  • 1 Post By Durham Couponer

Thread: My neighbour asks for putting up a clothesline in my backyard

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum so please help me out.

The neighbour living in front of my backyard asks for putting up a clothesline. The problem is... the wood post is in my yard and it's 2meters away from their yard, so they need to go to my backyard to do so. And if they hang up their clothes, their clothes would be over my backyard. I notice that there is a clothesline pulley for them attached on the wood post but I think the old owner didn't allow them to put up their clothesline. I recently bought this property so I have no idea what I should do.

I'm in LaSalle, Quebec.
    ---
    Update 07 July,

Bad news you guys. I tried my best but they said they had the right to do so. They said one month before we arrived their clothesline was broken but at that time they couldn't find anyone to put it back. Now they find one and ask if they can access to my backyard. I did ask the old owner, he said if there was a pulley then they are allowed.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire
    Last edited by anhh; Fri, Jul 7th, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Newfiescreech, macw1960 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds like they should use one of the umbrella style clotheslines and set it up on their own property.
    I'd rather say no now and then not have any related hassles down the road.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Id tell them to put a pole up in there own yard or figure something out with their own property, in some kind of nice way like you plan on doing something in the area where their clothes will be hanging over so it will not work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I would be up front and say no in a very nice and polite manner if u can. And suggest the either used a rack. It the umbrella kind. I know we all save if we can dry our clothes out side but I personally hate to see people's lingerie hanging in their back yard .so if it was me in that situation I would say no

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anhh View Post
    Hello All,

I'm new to this forum so please help me out.

The neighbour living in front of my backyard asks for putting up a clothesline. The problem is... the wood post is in my yard and it's 2meters away from their yard, so they need to go to my backyard to do so. And if they hang up their clothes, their clothes would be over my backyard. I notice that there is a clothesline pulley for them attached on the wood post but I think the old owner didn't allow them to put up their clothesline. I recently bought this property so I have no idea what I should do.

I'm in LaSalle, Quebec.
    Welcome to group anhh !! Hope you enjoys it here at smartcanucks
    I would just say politely that I prefer not have clothesline post in your garden .. who knows some day just where that post is to you may need put something there then you have ask them remove it .. then they could be all upset.. so better not do it at all ..just my opinion.. best of luck

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If the clothes are only going over the corner of your yard and are high above I would say yes.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for all your suggestions and comments. Putting up a pole or getting an umbrella clothesline does cost money and it seems that they don't want to pay for it so they ask us instead. I will say no to them of course in a polite way, and suggest them to put a pole or an umbrella clothesline like Mamabearrina and Padyofurniture said.
    Durham Couponer and dededi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thoughts....
    • why would their post be on your property? I think he wants to use YOUR post instead of erecting one himself.
    • wood posts deteriorate over time. Wet clothes in the wind will bring down a post, especially wood after several years. Happened to me.... the steel post corroded after 30 years and it came crashing down hard.
    • clothesline do have maintenance. the line breaks after a few years and the pulleys need to be changed after they seize up.
    • another vote for him to get an umbrella line or putting up his own post.
    Durham Couponer, dededi and anhh like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What do your bylaws say? It's free to call the bylaw office and ask... who cares what your old neighbor says, he doesn't live there anymore your property is YOUR property.
    Tweets77 likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Thread Information