User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: First time ever doing a turkey

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

So I usually have xmas dinner at my mom and Dad's. We have everyone over there. Usually it's my sister doing the turkey and stuffing, me doing the salads, potatoes,veggies,etc. Now my sister moved to Lloyd and wants everyone at her new house. We can't make it, it's a good 6 hour drive from where we live and hubby only has the day of off....so anyways...I have decided to do a small turkey and everything at my house for us 3 and my brother.
    What pound of turkey should I get for 4 people who want leftovers (lunches and sandwiches of course) and should I cook my stuffing inside a smaller turkey or not? Can I use my electric roaster or do i use my cast one that's huge? I am literally this clueless. I know how to make everything but I have never ever cooked a turkey, even small. I cook whole chicken all the time. Is it the same kinda? Blahhhh. I guess I better learn someday....
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    Last edited by TudorChick; Sat, Nov 25th, 2017 at 01:25 AM.
    danger_dan and LunchLady like this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Cook it like a chicken ,maybe do your stuffing in another dish(keep it moist)Keep the turkey bones and whatever you cannot eat skin etc and simmer in a big pot to make stock for delicious turkey soup. Enjoy your meal with your family that is there with you.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

My friend shared that the turkey she cooked for my dh and I last year was a "cook from frozen " one that is pre-stuffed. I was great. That's the only way she'll do it now and she is a wonderful cook. Be not afraid! I once found out that my oven only had broil elements working as I put the turkey in. I had to broil it in layers. (The guests never knew.&#128518

That was my first attempt at cooking a turkey too.)
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Sat, Nov 25th, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have a family of four and we tend to buy 15-20 lb turkeys. Our favourite method of cooking these now is an oven bag. I want to say it's around 2-2.5 hours of cooking time, but I'd have to check to be sure. You want the breast meat cooked to 165 degrees and the thigh done at 180 degrees.

I normally make a loaf of stuffing bread and use that for a slow cooker stuffing.

Our favourite leftovers are a shepards pie and turkey soup.
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Sat, Nov 25th, 2017 at 03:53 PM.
    Lynn49, danger_dan and LunchLady like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My daughter has been vegan for 15 years now and has never cooked any meat (or touched) in her life. She had us all over for thanksgiving and if she can cook a great turkey, anyone can. She cooked it from frozen with the stuffing in it and it was one of the moistest turkey I had ever eaten. I plan on doing the same thing this Christmas. Who knew I could learn to cook a turkey from a vegan!!! LOL.
    bluerose, Purdee and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks all. I am sure it will work out, i'll come back and post how it went after the Holidays
    danger_dan likes this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@padyofurniture , you gave me a great idea!! I've always stuffed our turkey (the way everyone's done it for eons!), but "the boys" started deep-frying them, si I started using my slowcooker which seems to dry the top too much. I thought of laying strips of bacon over it, but your idea of an ovenbag might just do the trick! It would, or should prevent that from happening! Heaven help me if I don't make MY dressing for turkey dinners!
    @TudorChick , good luck with your bird! It's just a big chicken, after-all. Just make sure you get a nice young bird, or a pre-basted one unless you stuff butter under the skin yourself...enjoy!
    danger_dan likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

What is an oven bag?

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's a very large bag you place your turkey in for cooking. Much like those Maggi bags for cooking chicken breasts. I made a "pot roast" in one of these bags the other day. Reynolds is the major brand name, but Loblaws sells their own brand.

Last edited by padyofurniture; Tue, Dec 5th, 2017 at 06:56 AM.
    danger_dan likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Oh the Maggi thing. LOL. I might have to try that. Also, I saw the frozen one with the built in stuffing and i was tempted but darn it i better do this at least once so i bought a 12 pounder, and i'm making my Dear Granma's stuffing that we can never make enough of if it kills me. My sister can almost replicate it and part of me wants to beat her at something...ha ha... I will report back on that later.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

As Padyo does, i always cook it in a bag
    + you Will find everything about turkey on "butterball" site
    And don' t let you impress by your first turkey, Even tough i cook 4+ turkeys/year, i check on the info sites every time

Have a great cooking time
    Last edited by Mia001; Sat, Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Found "volaille du quebec" site has no english version

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i agree with using the butterball website.. it's a great guideline.. how much turkey to buy for how many people, how long to defrost in the fridge, how long to cook both stuffed and unstuffed.. it's never steered me wrong yet!

i usually cook it in a disposable turkey pan (you can get them most anywhere this time of year.. dollar store, walmart, any grocery store will have them on display i'm sure) it makes for easy clean up just put the pan onto a cookie sheet for support use the drippings in a separate pot to make your gravy
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

So I did it. yay! It took a lot of patence on my part but I did it. The turkey was moist, I did mash and peas,stuffing, and yorkshire puddings with gravy.

I hope you all can see that pic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...14187568889968

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Delicious looking

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Congratulations, it looks super yummy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information