User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Condensation on windows

  1. #1
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    353
    Likes Received
    470
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    1
    Anyone get condensation on windows as soon as the weather gets cold? Every morning I'm wiping down the windows. It seems to be just at the bottom of the windows, but enough that if I don't wipe them, the water could accumulate and end up dripping on the floor. I have been keeping the air exchange unit on all night to help circulate air. I leave the blinds up. I don't know what else to do. I even crack a window open during the day. A whole house dehumidifier is expensive. I have a portable one I leave in the basement but it only dehumidifies air that is close to the unit. Anyways, just wanted to know if I'm alone in this or not. Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft
    Ciel likes this.


  2. #2
    Misanthrope GoJays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    82,891
    Likes Received
    31442
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)




    You're definitely not alone. We always get condensation on our windows in the winter. It's annoying. I don't dehumidify though because the air is dry enough already, believe it or not and my skin can't handle even drier air.
    Ciel and greeny like this.

  3. #3
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    353
    Likes Received
    470
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    You're definitely not alone. We always get condensation on our windows in the winter. It's annoying. I don't dehumidify though because the air is dry enough already, believe it or not and my skin can't handle even drier air.
    Yes dry air is horrible ! So what do you do? Just wipe the windows down every morning? What if you want to go on vacation for a few days? How do you leave the house when you know so much condensation will build up over a few days? I don't think I could ask anyone to come wipe my windows down every morning while I"m gone.
    Ciel likes this.

  4. #4
    Canadian Genius Tweets77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    N.W. Ontario
    Posts
    6,970
    Likes Received
    8606
    Trading Score
    167 (100%)




    Same issue here...condensation all winter long and the air to air runs all day. We leave the blinds up a couple of inches at night so that the air can circulate..use the air to air when cooking ( boiling, simmering, etc.) I wish that we could figure something out as well.
    Ciel and greeny like this.

  5. #5
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    353
    Likes Received
    470
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by Tweets77 View Post
    Same issue here...condensation all winter long and the air to air runs all day. We leave the blinds up a couple of inches at night so that the air can circulate..use the air to air when cooking ( boiling, simmering, etc.) I wish that we could figure something out as well.
    Yeah it's weird because our old house never had condensation on the windows and we didn't even have an air exchanger. I think they are making houses way too "tight" now a days for the sake of energy efficiency. I hate to say this, but it's comforting knowing I'm not alone lol !
    Ciel likes this.

  6. #6
    Misanthrope GoJays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    82,891
    Likes Received
    31442
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Yes dry air is horrible ! So what do you do? Just wipe the windows down every morning? What if you want to go on vacation for a few days? How do you leave the house when you know so much condensation will build up over a few days? I don't think I could ask anyone to come wipe my windows down every morning while I"m gone.
    When I get tired of looking at it I will wipe it down, but strangely enough, it doesn't seem to build up... it's just....... there, without pooling. We have an older new house - it's 16 years old this month and it's far from being too "tight" so I can't blame it on that. I dunno. And no, you're not alone
    Ciel and greeny like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    821
    Likes Received
    951
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    I have had that problem with in all my homes that I have lived in with my current home (4th) being no exception.

    I have a whole home central fan system that stays on all winter, but it is not quite enough to keep the humidity off the windows when it gets to the -22 or so mark. So.......

    I solved that problem a winter or two ago. READY for the answer.....

    I have put up plastic on all except 2 windows in the house for the past couple of winters. Very little to no condensation anymore, and it keeps the house so much warmer. And putting up plastic is cheap, easy to do, oh, and it can't be seen from the outside, and does not look bad inside either.
    Ciel and greeny like this.

  8. #8
    CaNewbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7
    Likes Received
    6
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I have had that problem with in all my homes that I have lived in with my current home (4th) being no exception.

    I have a whole home central fan system that stays on all winter, but it is not quite enough to keep the humidity off the windows when it gets to the -22 or so mark. So.......

    I solved that problem a winter or two ago. READY for the answer.....
    about layla mattress
    I have put up plastic on all except 2 windows in the house for the past couple of winters. Very little to no condensation anymore, and it keeps the house so much warmer. And putting up plastic is cheap, easy to do, oh, and it can't be seen from the outside, and does not look bad inside either.
    The same problem
    Last edited by Thomas10; Wed, Oct 24th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.
    greeny likes this.

  9. #9
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    353
    Likes Received
    470
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I have had that problem with in all my homes that I have lived in with my current home (4th) being no exception.

    I have a whole home central fan system that stays on all winter, but it is not quite enough to keep the humidity off the windows when it gets to the -22 or so mark. So.......

    I solved that problem a winter or two ago. READY for the answer.....

    I have put up plastic on all except 2 windows in the house for the past couple of winters. Very little to no condensation anymore, and it keeps the house so much warmer. And putting up plastic is cheap, easy to do, oh, and it can't be seen from the outside, and does not look bad inside either.
    What kind of plasticare you talking about...saran wrap? Where did you get the plastic from? Hardware store or? How do you keep the plastic on the windows...with tape? LOL sorry so many questions. Thank you !
    Ciel likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    821
    Likes Received
    951
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    What kind of plasticare you talking about...saran wrap? Where did you get the plastic from? Hardware store or? How do you keep the plastic on the windows...with tape? LOL sorry so many questions. Thank you !
    The kind of plastic is 3M window insulator kits. It is large sheets of plastic with two way tape that sticks to the window casing if that makes sense. You cut the plastic to the window size, stick it on the tape really well, then get a blow dryer to tighten the plastic and gives the final seal. Anyways, there are instructions given on how to do it.

    Here is a link to where I purchased my kits from. Hope that helps!

    https://www.amazon.ca/3M-2141W-6-Ind...+insulator+kit
    Last edited by maggiespice; Sun, Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Ciel and greeny like this.

  11. #11
    Frosh Canuck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    353
    Likes Received
    470
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    The kind of plastic is 3M window insulator kits. It is large sheets of plastic with two way tape that sticks to the window casing if that makes sense. You cut the plastic to the window size, stick it on the tape really well, then get a blow dryer to tighten the plastic and gives the final seal. Anyways, there are instructions given on how to do it.

    Here is a link to where I purchased my kits from. Hope that helps!

    https://www.amazon.ca/3M-2141W-6-Ind...+insulator+kit

    Thank you so much !
    Ciel likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Canuck
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    821
    Likes Received
    951
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    You are very welcome.
    Ciel and greeny like this.

  13. #13
    Dancing bean paste bun Ciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    14,522
    Likes Received
    19592
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)




    Old house has condensation issues-hot air/cold windows = morning condensation.
    If someone cooks and does not have a window open, more condensation.

    Not sure how thrilled my parents would be to have the plastic solution as the condensation affects the bottom and upper windows all during cold days and cold season. I try to ensure that the heat is not too high during a sunny day but Dad's become very cold intolerant so the heat tends to be on the high side (4 degrees more than usual) and it is a headache for me. Can't wait to see the next Union Gas bill...with the dryer running 6 of 7 days plus oven use and the heat being turned up and down.
    greeny likes this.
    2019 #Gold

  14. #14
    CaNewbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4
    Likes Received
    1
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    If you cannot buy a dehumidifier, you can simply move your houseplants outside during the winter to eliminate condensation inside your windows. Drying wet clothes inside also significantly increases interior moisture in your home. So try to avoid doing that.
    greeny likes this.

  15. #15
    CaNewbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    8
    Likes Received
    7
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Several things can cause this. For instance, your house may be sealed "too tight". Do you have a fresh air intake? Or, several other possibilities are: dryer venting in house; a lot of cooking that creates steam; excess shower time;or anything else that dumps moisture in the house. One other thing - do you have a good seal around the sash when the window are closed?
    Jacob is right about houseplants. They could increase humidity too.
    We had a different situation, long story short: plumbing, bad leakage and flooding as a result, so we bought a larger dehumidifier to prevent problems with moisture and mold. And since your dehumidifier is not that powerful, always check if doors are closed for the place you are riding of moisture.
    Last edited by reggid; Sun, Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:16 PM.
    greeny likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •