User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baptism

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ok this is sort following up on elliot's thread on the topic religion, how many of you are baptized/have your children baptized? I see that alot of people don't baptize their children now in the sense they want them to choose their own religion Always thought this was something you were born into, and choose what you believe in AFTER. Not sure if i really agree with this, as it's one of the 7 sacraments it'd be nice to have all 7 before you die.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

We didn't baptize C because we have no intention of raising him Catholic (as we both were). If he chooses that path later in life that's fine but I won't force it on him. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I were to have him baptized in a religion that I no longer believe.

eri
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was baptized a Catholic and I am no longer one...My daughter isn't baptized but it isn't about 'letting her choose her own path' - while I think she is capable of doing so when she is older I wasn't going to put her through something like that just to please others. I also plan on teaching her what I know about the world and spirituality but to I am open to whatever she choses. My 19 year old cousin wasn't baptized and it truly upset my grandmother. And to be honest I am sure she doesn't have any real opinion on it other than the fact that she was brought up being told it was 'bad'.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I wasn't my parents don't believe in any religion, my mom was forced to go to church as a kid and hated it so it was something she stopped doing when she was old enough to make her own decisions and we were kept away from religion too

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

I am Catholic and my little guy was baptized in Jan -- it was a great day.. I was slightly apprehensive about the church that my family goes to -- they were putting me through alot of scrutiny because of my being separated -- so i went to another local church and they were more than welcoming.. Fantastic really.. I plan on having my ds attend catholic school -- I want him to have knowledge and exposure and if he decides to abandon when he is of age -- he can..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was baptized Catholic, the Ex was Anglican. The DD is Anglican, because that is the church we were going to in Ottawa. The DS is United, because that church was right across the street from us when we moved out of Ottawa. Both my kids go to Catholic school, they just had to be christened, they did not have to go for confession or communion. There are a number of children at the school from other religions and the school has no problems with that.

you can join this forum by clicking on my link below.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/index.php?referrerid=18227

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

at your childrens school do they not have a communion and confirmation with their classmates? One happens in grade three or so and the other in grade 7/8 I think.. I know my nephews have all gone through the process attending classes on saturdays during the school year that they are to be confirmed etc.. This of course could be done if children were going to public school, but is initiated by the school when going to a catholic school.. confession will happen after the first communion -- meaning they will be able to take the eucharist in church after 1st communion.. so maybe all of this is still to come? maybe good for you to know and ask about with all of the extras (dresses and suits) to be purchased for these events.. lol

sry for sounding so dumbfounded, but not sure how old your children are so maybe all is still to come..

I waited a little long for ds baptism and did it end of Jan, which was just after christmas and just before 1st birthday, so it was a little rushed.. My family normally makes a bit of a deal out of these things -- i did have to spend $150 or so on outfit -- shoes etc.. but all and all it was great.. I just had a light lunch at my place (even deli meats and cheeses etc,, cost me quite a bit),, maybe people thought there should have been more hoopla but I didnt want to stress over something that is supposed to be a fun, nice day.. Also,, doesnt help to put a big dent in $$$ -- oh ya,, I did have to give a donation to the church too.. I think the whole thing might have cost $500 or so -- which isnt a lot at all, but me being so frugal -- it sure seems like it.. esp with one income..

I think it provides a sense of belonging for children -- not just the baptism but going to catholic school, then h.s -- some people need it and others wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole..

Quote Originally Posted by smb127 View Post
    I was baptized Catholic, the Ex was Anglican. The DD is Anglican, because that is the church we were going to in Ottawa. The DS is United, because that church was right across the street from us when we moved out of Ottawa. Both my kids go to Catholic school, they just had to be christened, they did not have to go for confession or communion. There are a number of children at the school from other religions and the school has no problems with that.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am a Roman Catholic and believe in God and Jesus, but do not attend church anymore...
    I never baptized my girls but they to believe.
    We say grace, and pray at bedtime, or when we feel the need to, but I want them to be free to make their own choices.
    I can't imagine that my God would ever punish my children for my choices, or errors...

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I'm a Jehovah's Witness. So to me baptism is an outward display of the dedication you have made to God to serve him. Prior to baptism, you must make a dedication to God via prayer. Also, we sit down with the elders in our congregation and discuss certain questions so that they can be sure that you know what you are doing and that you are doing it for the right reasons (not because someone else wants you to or you feel pressured). I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness but I did not get baptized until I was 16 years old because I wanted to make sure that I was ready and was doing it for the right reasons. I hope that my children will get baptized for the right reasons, but that is their choice to make when they are older.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lisa - My kids are 8 and soon to be 11 so grades 3 and 6.

They went though all the training drurring school, the church is across the street so everything is done durring the day at the school.

There are a number of children that go to the school that are not Catholic, but all the children had to be baptized (in their religion) before going to the school. There were children in each of my kids class that also did not do confession or communion, so mine never felt left out.

you can join this forum by clicking on my link below.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/index.php?referrerid=18227

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My girls weren't baptized, and won't be unless they choose to do so, upon attaining the age of reason. My mother-in-law wasn't happy about that decision, but my wife and I are quite comfortable with it, and since we're raising them, everyone else's opinions on this matter mean exactly nothing to me.

I always wonder, though, about parents who make these kinds of decisions for their children. Just to pick the most popular example, Catholic parents will almost always have Catholic children, and raise them accordingly. Doesn't this sound wrong to anyone else? If my wife and I are staunch supporters of the Liberal party, should this carry over to our children? Do we have Liberal (capital "L") children? It seems to me that religion is (or ought to be) a very personal decision -- one that can't be made for someone else.

If I had one wish -- that couldn't be used to, say, give myself the powers of Superman :O) -- it would be that religious instruction be postponed for all children until they attain the age of reason. Let them make their own choices with the benefit of years of experience, rather than forcing them to be indoctrinated into whatever religious belief system the parents feel is most appropriate.

I do have a slightly funny baptism story, though. When my sister-in-law brought her daughter in for the ceremony about eight years ago, there were a few other kids getting the water treatment on the same day. One of these families brought in a film crew -- not a videographer, but a crew, with a separate sound guy and a lighting guy -- to immortalize the event. Some people take this stuff way too seriously.
    73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

That could be argued about almost any parental decision made. I have been immunized, so my child should also be? I have been formally educated so my child should be as well? It seems it is only through religion that people see a parent making a decision for their child as misguided.. Alternatively you are making a decision for your child, by not bringing religion in to his/her life. If your child says to you at 25 *why didnt you baptize me, I wanted to be XXX religion* you will then be in the hot seat..
    We do what we feel is right for our individual children, based on our OWN belief system -- we can do no more or less.. We then hope it turns out ok and that we are not too harshly blamed.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SCRawl View Post
    My girls weren't baptized, and won't be unless they choose to do so, upon attaining the age of reason. My mother-in-law wasn't happy about that decision, but my wife and I are quite comfortable with it, and since we're raising them, everyone else's opinions on this matter mean exactly nothing to me.

I always wonder, though, about parents who make these kinds of decisions for their children. Just to pick the most popular example, Catholic parents will almost always have Catholic children, and raise them accordingly. Doesn't this sound wrong to anyone else? If my wife and I are staunch supporters of the Liberal party, should this carry over to our children? Do we have Liberal (capital "L") children? It seems to me that religion is (or ought to be) a very personal decision -- one that can't be made for someone else.

If I had one wish -- that couldn't be used to, say, give myself the powers of Superman :O) -- it would be that religious instruction be postponed for all children until they attain the age of reason. Let them make their own choices with the benefit of years of experience, rather than forcing them to be indoctrinated into whatever religious belief system the parents feel is most appropriate.

I do have a slightly funny baptism story, though. When my sister-in-law brought her daughter in for the ceremony about eight years ago, there were a few other kids getting the water treatment on the same day. One of these families brought in a film crew -- not a videographer, but a crew, with a separate sound guy and a lighting guy -- to immortalize the event. Some people take this stuff way too seriously.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with not making this particular choice for the kids....I have left that choice to them....I thought that was only fair....My way of thinking was that they can choose the religion they want if they want...and also if they found a partner that they wanted to spend the rest of their life with and he/she was baptized in certain religion and wanted to be married in their faith...that at least leaves the door open to my kids to choose that faith....also if they choose not to join a certain faith and if something happens to them (god forbid) they are given their last rights on their death bed....

We as parents need to leave some of their (younger) life choices to them....we teach them right from wrong...and instill our beliefs morals, and values in them as they grow...but they as individuals should have that right to choose...

Just remember this is only my opinion....

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I was baptized. Christian is what my mum always callede our religion. She never made it any clearer than that. But no, I am not going to baptize my child. I feel the religion I was born into is not the religion I should persue. I am starting to study Hunduism and think I may convert. DH is converting from his Christian roots to Buddhism at the moment. We want our child to be diverse. Religion, language, culture. We have taken other cultures and made them our own. We want our child to do the same thing.
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    94 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rachel1496 View Post
    We didn't baptize C because we have no intention of raising him Catholic (as we both were). If he chooses that path later in life that's fine but I won't force it on him. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I were to have him baptized in a religion that I no longer believe.

That's exactly what I think! My sons are not baptized.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information