User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homeless People

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i don't look down on them, because you never know when it could happen to you.

How can anyone say that it can't or they wouldn't let it happen.
    There are so many circumstances that could happen. Not everyone has family to rely on in time of trouble. Maybe family turned them away when they became metally ill. You just don't know!

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I feel sorry for those who are out there because of poor circumstances or because they really felt they had no other choice. In the area where I live for example, in order to get geared-to-income housing, you have to be put on a 3 year waiting list. And I was told in my area that the only way to get put on the top of that list without waiting is to go into a homeless shelter. So there may be some in circumstances like that.

But it is very difficult to feel sorry for some that appear to be begging almost as a second income. I have seen people in Ottawa who were out every day on the median on the streets begging for change, and every day they were in a different, brand new outfit. Seems kind of strange, especially when carrying a sign saying "Please help, I'm homeless" and having no bags with them. And you just don't know where the money is going if you do decide to donate. If I were going to help out a homeless person, I would honestly rather go and purchase them a meal because then at least you know they are eating and not spending it on something they shouldn't. Not to say that all homeless people do that, but there are quite a few who do and how do you distinguish between them?

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Can I ask a question,

If these waiting lists are so long why dont people get there name on a list somewhere else that doesnt have a long waiting list?

Or is it area specific?

Waiting lists here are 0-6 months.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Can I ask a question,

If these waiting lists are so long why dont people get there name on a list somewhere else that doesnt have a long waiting list?

Or is it area specific?

Waiting lists here are 0-6 months.
    If your homeless you really don't have access to transportation to get on a waiting list in a different city. Being on a list somewhere is useless if you can't get there.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have to admit - the other day I just about lost it when a young, strong capable man asked me for money. I told him to come by my work (walking distance from where he was), and apply for a job. I would hire him if he's willing to work, with or without an address. We are always on the lookout for labourers.

It's one thing if you've fallen into tough times, but here, where there is zero reason for unemployment, that just peed me off. Rent is cheap here, and we pay weekly, and are even wiling to give advances to get you to your first pay.

There are tragic circumstances for people to be homeless, but this idiot just gives them a bad name. And no, he hasn't come to apply for a job here.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by swouper2 View Post
    I have to admit - the other day I just about lost it when a young, strong capable man asked me for money. I told him to come by my work (walking distance from where he was), and apply for a job. I would hire him if he's willing to work, with or without an address. We are always on the lookout for labourers.

It's one thing if you've fallen into tough times, but here, where there is zero reason for unemployment, that just peed me off. Rent is cheap here, and we pay weekly, and are even wiling to give advances to get you to your first pay.

There are tragic circumstances for people to be homeless, but this idiot just gives them a bad name. And no, he hasn't come to apply for a job here.
    Oh, this reminds me of a story I'd forgotten about. A few years back one of my mom's co-workers, Sean, was walking back from lunch and he passed a guy, early 20's, sitting on the sidewalk talking on a cell phone. As he gets closer the guy tells whoever it is to hang on a sec, puts his hand over the end of the receiver and asks Sean if he can spare any money for food. Sean suggested that maybe he should look into selling the phone.

Learning to shop & save! twenty47's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

these type of people just erk me. I mean it's bad enough that we have so many homeless people out there and then there's people like this that PRETEND to be homeless for the help. Almost makes helping the real people in need next to impossible because you can't really distinguish between them and the chances are that people who do help have been scammed by someone who didn't need it.

Like the welfare office here where i'm living. A couple of months ago I was driving by the office on welfare day. There was a line up of people waiting for their checks and a few of them were YOUNG guys like 18 - 21 years old, on rollerblades, sports brand jackets and listening to an ipod or mp3 player or something. Like come on..... what's going on with the system when there are single parents who are struggling month to month on next to nothing.

Its people like this that just add more obstacles to the homeless and that just sucks because it's so hard not to stereotype the homeless with these scammers.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I live in the city, I only give change to the truly destitute, those so hard up and sick and homeless, they need it. Or if I happen to be carrying it, a sub or hamburgers, donuts or something. When I lived in Vancouver, I was really scared at first of the people on Hastings, its such a hard core area. But many of the ones I saw were not just down on their luck, but sick, physically, mentally, and with very poor living skills. Other people just get so despondent they just give up. Who knows what happened to put them there, or what keeps them there. They must live in a world of hurt is all I know. There are many agencies and people who know more about their plight, and what paths got them there than I do though, so I try not to judge.

If someone looks young, healthy, and able to work I don't give them anything. Unless its like a quarter for the phone or something, but I never stop to talk whether or not I try to help. Strangers, homeless or not, can be dangerous, so I don't usually engage in anything other than small talk with people who aren't asking me for anything, and next to nothing more than a small smile for someone who is.

Every city and small town has its homeless people. But they deserve some respect as they still are human beings, and still have feelings. I am not trying to preach or anything, but I don't think treating anyone badly by sneering, or making hurtful remarks towards them, or condescending ones is really helping the situation. I see people do it all the time though...I tend to be sympathetic, but cautious.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    When I live in the city, I only give change to the truly destitute, those so hard up and sick and homeless, they need it.

We have one guy in downtown London who's been here since I was little. He has a cane with a cup attached to it and a cardboard sign that just says "God Bless You, Have a Good day." Around Christmas he has a $ store Santa hat that he wears. The thing is he will NEVER ask you for money. He stands back against the wall with his cup and sign and he lets you decide if you want to give him money without putting you on the spot. If I have spare change he gets it because he isn't pushy like some others are. And he's always polite, says thank you to anyone who gives him anything, it could be a quarter and he will still thank you.

eri
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think some of them truly don't like/appreciate/buy into our society and our values and that's what drives them to it..but they still have to survive, we can't expect them to all blow their brains out..We have a resident old man in our main faculty building and the dean said that somtimes he'll drink the coffee you bring him He seems nice and friendly..he's probably in his 70s and he reminds me of the old man from Home Alone

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It depends there are many reasons that people become homeless and I am sure none of them choose to be homeless. I help through organizations that are capable of helping them get back on their feet.

If they are truly homeless and need help then yes I feel badly for them and try to help through charities.

We as humans should help our fellow humans, just because they are less fortunate does not mean we should turn our backs and walk away. JMHO.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

i don't think it is a black and white solution or answer for that matter. we have to ask ourselves why this happened to begin with. i know people with degrees working in wallmart barely making enough money to feed their children. in this economy a lot of people are 1or2 paychecks from losing their homes,cars,and basic standard of living. our staggering debt loads and wanting to keep up with the jones is something we can all identify with. there have been major layoffs in certain sectors, and these jobs don't pay min wage. add depression, a illness yours or a family members, a bit of drinking worsening as things look bleaker. the middle class is shrinking, people are pinched and even when the less fortunate are given so called hand outs the average person wouldn't live in the places we expect them to. until we actually start working together, affordable housing for everyone including the shrinking middle class. proper treatment centers,with timely help for those who need it. and at somepoint in everyones life they will experience depression, the difference is some of us don't have support.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

On the corner of the street. 4 cars per hour give you a toonie then you're better off sitting on the corner then getting an actual job at $8. It's smart and lazy and I see lots of people doing it. You also get wellfare. these are smart people that can get a high school education. you can go into shops and mechanics and stuff. completeley for free! get a job people. there is a boy in the high school that i go to and he has a mental illness and is in every class and trying his hardest and i guarantee that he will not be on the street. the lazy children in school with poor families and hate the world will be.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Juno View Post
    i don't look down on them, because you never know when it could happen to you.

How can anyone say that it can't or they wouldn't let it happen.
    There are so many circumstances that could happen. Not everyone has family to rely on in time of trouble. Maybe family turned them away when they became metally ill. You just don't know!
    Bingo. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Each person has individual reasons for their life on the street. I'm sure most are battling addiction, MENTAL ILLNESS or childhoods too traumatic to even imagine for the rest of us.

Oh if it were only so simple as to just "get a job". I think we all need to open our eyes to how life is for others and the pain that some people have in their hearts.

You don't have to help them, but certainly don't judge them and clump them all together as this ostracized group. They are just like you and me.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I keep seeing people talk about homeless people getting welfare. To get assistance you need either a permanent address or a form/note from a landlord stating that when you start getting assistance they will be renting you a room/apartment.

Not all panhandlers are actually homeless. Not all homeless people are panhandlers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information