User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree240Likes

Thread: Steady reduction in food product sizes.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by My two Canadian cents View Post
    Here's a CBC News article and video from a few days ago that mentions some products that have shrunk.
    I got a particular kick from reading,
    Fuchs added that "additional legislation, without evidence that it would lead to a positive outcome for consumers ... would have the unintended impact of further increasing costs for businesses."
    What a load of horse****. Companies have no problem changing packaging to advertise real (or imaginary) 'improvements', but balk at identifying size changes. Of course, their standard go-to lie is that it will somehow increase prices. How typical. They want to set up a false justification for increasing costs, just in case there is actual legislation mandating change announcements. i.e. "We warned you that there would be price increases and here they are." How insultingly obvious.
    Skippy and Ciel21 like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Companies have no problem changing packaging to advertise real (or imaginary) 'improvements', but balk at identifying size changes.
    The irony is that they have to reprint the packaging with the new volume/weight anyway (if it reduces from 1L to 800mL for example). It's not like they're using the old 1L containers and just filling it with 800mL (and yes, I know people believe that they do, but the volume DOES change on the package, to be fair).

And they used to have no problem printing new containers when they've added "20% more for the original price".

So yea... printing the similar message that simply says "New size! 800mL" wouldn't cost any extra. In fact that simple comment doesnt even carry a negative connotation. It's just a "new size". Customers who are savvy enough to know it used to be 1L might notice and/or care, but at least it's more transparent than just changing the volume and printing the digits smaller.
    HermanH and Ciel21 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I saw the redesigned Kraft Salad Dressing packaging at No Frills today but the size is down to 425mL from 475mL. Maybe that was the reason for the 22 cent deal at Sobeys back in December. PC Salad Dressing still 475mL.

Old 475mL bottle on the left.
    Name:  KfraftSD.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  236.0 KB
    HermanH and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

@eataiag ...I noticed the same thing when shopping yesterday...$3.99 at Safeway, Thunder Bay

Quote Originally Posted by eataiag View Post
    I saw the redesigned Kraft Salad Dressing packaging at No Frills today but the size is down to 425mL from 475mL. Maybe that was the reason for the 22 cent deal at Sobeys back in December. PC Salad Dressing still 475mL.

eataiag and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

No frills carries their PC line of granola for 1.00 more than Zehrs and RCSS. I thought NF was a discounted store but not anymore. I am so frustrated. The grocery bills are crazy. Can't walk out of the store without spending 50- 100 +$ and only get 2 bags of groceries. Why is detergent so expensive? the PC points incentives are no longer worth it. I got one for blueberries - 5 cents back in points!! Then i get a points offer of xx points when i spend 250. on groceries. ARe you watching my spending habits!!?? I never spend that much on groceries so why give me an offer that I won't use. Or an offer for products that I have never purchased. ugh

ok - done venting!!
    Poirot, walkonby, HermanH and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2shopmom View Post
    Why is detergent so expensive?
    I picked up several 150-load jugs, when it was on sale for $0.046/wash. I guess I've got a lifetime supply, since each jug is good for over 12 years! (I only do a load a month.) :D
    2shopmom and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I assume that the cost of running all the name-brand detergent ads on TV or streaming channels during all kinds of programming is to convince us that smaller jugs are worth their prices.

My brother thoughtfully got another jug of Kirkland unscented detergent at Costco before he left. Maybe you know someone who can get a jug for you on their next Costco run? Our household used to buy the unscented PC detergent but the larger rectangular jugs were not consistently restocked at our Fortinos location and buying the smaller handled jugs was pricey. When I saw that the bigger jugs were half off a few years ago in the back of store, I knew it was being discontinued and got a few of them. Then we switched to Kirkland but I don't do Costco shopping. We used to buy powdered Cheer unscented detergent but same scenario-hard to find then the shelf space went to some other detergent product.

I realize that many household products we use at home are not even made in Canada. There's a dish detergent brand that is Canadian but it costs more than Palmolive for a smaller bottle. To get the unscented version, I might have to order it online because local stores tend to stock 1 or 2 scented varieties.
    HermanH likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    I realize that many household products we use at home are not even made in Canada. There's a dish detergent brand that is Canadian but it costs more than Palmolive for a smaller bottle.
    That's real irony; you want to help and support local brands, but simply cannot penalize yourself with their higher prices.
    Poirot and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Props to them for putting the new "425ml" with detailed artwork in the background to camouflage the number... that KINDA still looks like a 475, but isn't.
    Purdee, eataiag and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

And the really thickened spout tries to make it look as though the size increased!
    Ciel21 likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Off topic but I think they use discount store banners to fool people into thinking they can blindly buy items and pay the lowest price. I just buy where it's cheapest and ignore which store banner is selling it. Currently No Frills is selling no name salami/pepperoni chub for $7 while Loblaws is $6.

A Loblaws near me has the best clearance deals and sometimes the items aren't even short dated. My No Frills gives really weak discounts and only when short dated. That Loblaws has sold bread for 12 cents a loaf, bbq sauce for 44 cents, pork breast bone (which has lots of meat) for 50 cents a pound, $1 for a dozen eggs and just last week 15 lb of potatoes for $1.99. The No Frills near me would never offer such clearance prices. It would be silly to boycott No Frills because of this. If they offer a good deal then take advantage. I'm totally disloyal.
    Poirot, 2shopmom, GeorgiaK and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A Loblaws near me has the best clearance deals and sometimes the items aren't even short dated. My No Frills gives really weak discounts and only when short dated. That Loblaws has sold bread for 12 cents a loaf, bbq sauce for 44 cents, pork breast bone (which has lots of meat) for 50 cents a pound, $1 for a dozen eggs and just last week 15 lb of potatoes for $1.99. The No Frills near me would never offer such clearance prices.
    Those prices are superb! Excellent hunting, on your part.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is an upside to reduction in product size (at least for me. )

When I open a box of crackers, I often finish the entire 200g box in an evening. However, with smaller 180g boxes, I eat less.
    Poirot likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information