User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Gift ideas needed for a gift exchange game

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Hello wonderful SC community!

My question is does anyone have suggestions for gift ideas for a gift exchange? I'll be part of a Yankee Swap type gift exchange this year and I'm wondering what gifts people think would be good to bring. My first idea was a GC but we're supposed to bring actual gifts that are gender neutral with a value under $50. Obviously, I want to bring something that people will want to fight for!

The basic Yankee swap gift rules are:

• Each party attendee brings one unmarked gift based on a certain pre-set budget.
    • All the gifts go in the center of the gift exchange area.
    • Each participants draws a random number (1-?) based on the number of people who brought a gift for participation.
    • The person who drew #1 gets to select a gift first. They open it. Because this person is at slight disadvantage they usually get to select to keep what they opened or steal someone else's gift after the last person opens a gift.
    • Now each person goes in numeric order with the chance to open a mystery gift or steal a gift from someone else.
    • If a person's gift is stolen, they now to get to open or swap.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Nov 10th, 2021 at 11:57 AM.
    francine1985 likes this.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

I would probably buy a super cheap plushie or pillow with a zippered compartment. I would also buy a gift card or two totalling 40$ to hide in there. (For example maybe 25$ for a grocery store and 15$ for Tim’s). I’m sure a lot of people will probably pass but I would hope it would end up going to a parent whose kid would enjoy the pillow/plushie and the gift cards could be a much needed help. Just make sure to let the person who keeps it knows that it’s in there afterwards.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Francine's idea to hide money inside is inspired.

I've been thinking of Xmas gifts and you might consider something from a local farmer's market, such as jam, chocolate, or locally distilled spirits. The $50 price range is pretty capable of covering all ideas and folks will likely want to eat your contribution.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Thanks so much for the ideas! Keep them coming!

My husband has decided on buying a Yeti mug with flavored coffee and a friend is making an Epicure basket (with spices, dip mixes, etc.).

I've only had a few ideas:

-a really nice towel set in a gender neutral colour (or 2 sets depending on the price point)
    -Lush gift set
    -$50 worth of scratch tickets (kind of a loop hole around the no gc rule)

What is something you would "fight" to get in an exchange game???
    SnowFlakey and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I saw some SweetBombs[tm] (Hot Chocolate balls) at the Showcase store. I think that their $20 price for 4 is crazy, but they fit your price range and chocolate is rarely disliked by anyone.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Depends on what common things binds your group:
    -if most of you stream online programs, how about merchandise from a favourite tv show?
    -if you all like jokes, gag gifts or nifty Kikkerland gadgets (lots of Kikkerland sold on well.ca but you need an account to purchase online there-including USB hubs or gadgets). Free shipping when you spend $35 or more before taxes and yes you can earn BEWell points.

-if you are all parents of little kids under 5, something light to read in those moments when tots are sleeping/napping or parents get alone time in the laundry room/bathroom.
    -if you all have fond memories of teen years, something from that decade that inspires memories. Suggest visiting this mail-order site:https://www.retrofestive.ca/
    -if you all have aches and pains, then a hot water bottle with festive cover? Armchair organizer/bedside caddy (usually grey or black but if you find a themed one, score!). Kabooti seat cushion (it'll be in a big flat box though) https://shop.wellwise.ca/products/co...i-seat-cushion

-if you are all related socially or as a family, how about a gift using a photo from an experience you shared or of a loved relative/friend that has passed away? Shoppers Photo prints all kinds of things (including puzzles) with images now. Some weekends, there are special offers. https://www.shoppersphoto.ca/ Notice the holiday deadlines.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like @HermanH 's local gifts idea if your area has specially known foodstuffs that others might not know about or get.
    Some grocery chains make a point of supporting certain Ontario producers and Quebec producers.

LCBO Food and Drink magazine (new issue released 2 days ago) may spotlight some Ontario finds you might want to look for, if you are in Ontario.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart (Superstore Ancaster) has a TIME special issue on K-Pop for $10.99. Of course, BTS and Blackpink are two of the popular groups shown on the front cover. Of the moment popular culture. If sewing is a common interest in your swap group, there are about two bagged sewing magazines with patterns or extras. Expect prices in the $20+ range for each title.

Walmart also has a shrinking inventory of the $9.99 SmartFoods duo popcorn-one side regular and other side cinnamon. In large cardboard cylinders. Look for them in seasonal or power aisle displays.

One aisle has lots of gift sets for lotions and facial care but I gather you might want to think beyond those items.

If everyone drives a vehicle, what about a car accessory? Like first aid/safety kit from CAA or Cdn Tire? Car caddy? Over the seat organizer (but many parents might have one for at least one vehicle)? Flashlight with batteries? Yellow reflective vest-try Giant Tiger, Marks, Cdn Tire. Actually any kind of reflective item might be good-not enough people have reflective trim on their dark coats while walking their pets at night or stepping out of vehicles on sides of roads.

I personally had one of these bands for walking at night-three settings for lights (solid light, fast blink, slow blink). Replacement batteries available at Dollarama.
    Well.ca has them https://well.ca/products/kikkerland-...nd_147439.html
    It'll fit over a puffy coat sleeve. Might need to adjust cuff (no Velcro, just wire?) for fit or slippage if coat fabric is slick or smooth.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    If everyone drives a vehicle, what about a car accessory? Like first aid/safety kit from CAA or Cdn Tire? Car caddy? Over the seat organizer (but many parents might have one for at least one vehicle)?
    Most folks probably already have some type of cell phone holder for their car, but I always thought that the ones made to fit in the cup holders would make good gifts for those of us who still don't have one.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Most folks probably already have some type of cell phone holder for their car, but I always thought that the ones made to fit in the cup holders would make good gifts for those of us who still don't have one.
    I probably should have given you the WeatherTech cupfone holder that I had given to a former friend two years ago. She never used it.
    Missed opportunity...but the WeatherTech store has lots in Burlington! The items are over $50 before taxes...so they don't meet this swap's criteria.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Sun, Nov 14th, 2021 at 04:32 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    The items are over $50 before taxes...so they don't meet this swap's criteria.
    Holy Cow! Over $50 for a piece of compressed plastic?! Sounds like all of $0.25 in material.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@HermanH The smallest cup is actually a weighted insert attached to the holder. Then each bigger cup adds another layer of plastic.
    I thought the commercials for the holder were cool and knowing person had a phone, this holder was like a necessity for her time in her car.

But she had a dollar store mount for the windshield that worked for her, so I wasted my time and money.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    I saw some SweetBombs[tm] (Hot Chocolate balls) at the Showcase store. I think that their $20 price for 4 is crazy, but they fit your price range and chocolate is rarely disliked by anyone.
    I actually bought some of those last year as last minute gifts. I paid $4 each. they are so tastey! Would buy them again. im going to a church bazaar on Dec 11th, hoping they have some there.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

how about some appliances, something like a food chopper at Walmart. StarFrit products are always a hit. Gift Baskets from Costco. Or who doesnt love chocolate. Lindt has some great gifts.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ricardo Cuisine fish turner (I find it works as all purpose spatula, esp. for sheet pan cooking) and the 2pc jar scraper and silicone spatula.
    https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/cat...rdo%20silicone

https://boutique.ricardocuisine.com/...ools/utensils/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information