• 1 Post By janetta
  • 1 Post By blueeyetea
  • 1 Post By janetta
  • 1 Post By hollyquaiscer

Thread: Cheapest Meals?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

What is the least expensive meal your family enjoys eating? Healthy meals only please. (No ramen noodles lol)

I'll share mine. My family really enjoys my turkey chili. It's super inexpensive and super lean and healthy. I add garlic, onions, ground turkey, spices, tomato paste and red kidney beans. I make sure to stock up on everything when they're on sale. If ground chicken is on sale, then it's chicken chili. I try not to use too much meat as the beans are already a source of protein, so I usually use half the package and use the other half for pasta the next day. It's less than $1 per serving as a main, including a whole grain bun each! It's nice to add a little salad for some veg. Please share yours!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by tomatosoupx; Mon, Apr 23rd, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    improperganda likes this.
    Check out Beyond The Rack for great deals on clothing, accessories and houseware!
    http://www.beyondtherack.com/member/invite/B9563660
    Have you tried Swagbucks? As a student, I am very thankful to have an opportunity to earn gift cards and even cash through PayPal! Good luck =) http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/tomatosoupx

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

beans r cheap when bought dry , just need a little soak and takes very little to cook.
    mine is red lentil soup , very cheap and healthy , and so delish!
    whilte kidney beans stew served with rice.
    hummus .
    bulgur with green lentils.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Hurray for lentil soup. Cheap, easy, fast, and tasty. Lentils are very high in protein but super low in fat. mmmmm goood! I make a number of different ones but I have 2 favourites: a green lentil soup made with mushrooms and a brown lentil soup made with spinach. The latter version always yields a huge pot that is very filling.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm making lentil soup because of you guys! I can see it's super healthy.
    improperganda and ninna like this.
    Check out Beyond The Rack for great deals on clothing, accessories and houseware!
    http://www.beyondtherack.com/member/invite/B9563660
    Have you tried Swagbucks? As a student, I am very thankful to have an opportunity to earn gift cards and even cash through PayPal! Good luck =) http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/tomatosoupx

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

We love vegetarian curries!
    Large can of chickpeas, $1 or less
    Potatoes, bought at $2 for 10lbs..and only using a few
    and whatever veg is in the fridge and/or freezer.
    I always have the spices in the cupboard and it can be served with..anything. lol Rice, quinoa, bread, flat bread or just eaten alone.

Cook prepared TVP (texturized vegetable protein) in with ground meat to "stretch" the cost of beef/chicken/turkey in chilies, burgers, etc etc!
    No one can tell the difference. You can find it at bulk or health places for pretty cheap! (I'd avoid Bulk Barn, as it's super overpriced there.)
    I pay less than $3/lb and this stuff is light.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I always cook extra brown rice with dinner so that I can make a rice and lentil salad for lunch the next day. I know I could cook my own lentils but for convenience I used canned and I can them regularly on sale for 99 cents. I add almonds, raisins and green onions. The vinaigrette is a mix of lemon juice with olive oil, sambal olek (asian chili sauce), garlic, cumin, coriander.

I like these kinds of recipes where I just cook from the pantry. I'll never go hungry with these staples on hand.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

stuffed baked potatoes, cook potatoes in the microwave, take out the middle mash up with some salt & pepper, a little marg and shredded cheese and refill the potatoes with the mixture. Re-heat in the microwave and serve with salad or a can of beans. You can add cooked bacon, mushrooms, onions or ham in the potato as well.

I have a lot of recipes on my blog.......

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I made Pad Thai tonight.. I was surprised at how much food one package or rice noodles can make!
    Rice noodles $1
    Chicken breasts $4
    2 Eggs, green onions, spices and sauces $1?
    Plus it's low in fat - we used maybe 2 tablespoons of oil, the dish makes 4-6 servings.
    maidennomore likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

shakes that taste like cakes!
    they're yummy and it seem that i want a zip at any time of the day!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

With the great coupons on pasta we have been getting lately, it works out to a few pennies per portion. Sometimes instead of using pasta sauce, I like to roast up a head of garlic, add it in with some butter, stir fry a few peppers, onions, mushrooms and the veggies iwith. He garlic butt and add cooked spaghetti to it in a bowl. Toss the pasta with everything else and enjoy.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I like making stirfry. Rice or noodles, whatever veg we have and whatever meat we have. so tastey

Thread Information