User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Canadian Tire food.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

So on Friday I went to canadian tire and bought an old el paso taco kit, it was reduced to $3.00 from $4.19 with a coupon inside.. so i was like.. hmmm SCORE... i get home and check the coupon and it expired A YEAR AGO!! and i checked my receipt and paid full price., pissed off i contacted general mills regarding this... I then check the expiry date of the food, YEAH 9 MONTHS EXPIRED!!! im so happy i noticed that and didn't eat it, my family would have gotten food poisoning. General mills contacted me after i told them how upset i was that i was sold 9 months expired food at FULL PRICE! and asking if i should contact canadian tire myself... all they said was

"Our promotions are planned for a specific time period. Although we try to estimate the number of specially marked packages needed for these offers, we occasionally overestimate our need. We regret the inconvenience incurred by this situation. We will mail you an adjustment for your purchase. Allow two weeks to receive it.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We hope future General Mills’ promotions will be of interest to you.
    "

furious, i called canadian tire head office, and told them about this matter. also told them they have 2 more expired boxes on there shelves. they are sending me a $10 gift card and said they would take this matter very serious and would be sending this to the case manager and contact that location themselves.

soooo furious with the lack of responsibility on general mills behalf... and the fact that they just blew this off like it was only a promotional matter..

9 months expired food, ARE YOU KIDDING ME... promotional matter?? that's a freakin health hazard.... so unhappy.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds like a form email.I think no one actually read your email.Better to phone General Mills.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

OMG! Poor you! You would think they would check their expire dates on things especially food! At least your getting your money back and a gift card. That happened to me at No Frills one time. I bought some roccota cheese and I am stupid I didn't look at the date. Well a week goes by and I go to use it and I realize it expired like a month ago!!! I threw out the recepit so I had not proff I bought it from them but still! I was so mad! You would think they would be checking the expiry dates on things.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think I would be more angry with the store itself......employees should be checking expiry dates regularly. It's possible that General Mills had the product delivered to Canadian Tire WAYYYYY before the expiry.....and that it's just been sitting in their stock room for that long. I had that issue at our CT last year with one of those After Bite sticks......got it home, opened the package and saw it had expired almost a year prior. I returned it for an unexpired one....but just assumed it was probably put on the shelf from last years stock......god only knows when it had actually arrived at the store! lol
    MamaF and missxhillary like this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

yeah im just angry in general, i thought employees would check these things, especially at canadian tire considering there food section is not that big at all, it wouldn't take a big job to go check expiry dates... 9 freaking months, cant believe it, so happy i checked the coupon or i would have eaten that not realising... i dont think to check dates on stuff like that.. now it's gonna be an every time i buy something to check expiry date.. atleast canadian tire said sorry and is returning 2x my money back... ugh
    Speckled28 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by missxhillary View Post
    yeah im just angry in general, i thought employees would check these things, especially at canadian tire considering there food section is not that big at all, it wouldn't take a big job to go check expiry dates... 9 freaking months, cant believe it, so happy i checked the coupon or i would have eaten that not realising... i dont think to check dates on stuff like that.. now it's gonna be an every time i buy something to check expiry date.. atleast canadian tire said sorry and is returning 2x my money back... ugh
    I rarely check dates on packages like that too......because most people assume that the people who work at these stores keep up on them......which they should! That's what they get paid for. I shouldn't have to worry about checking the dates on everything because a store forgot it on the shelf 9 MONTHS longer than it should have been there! And you're right....CT doesn't have a very large food section so there's no way that box should have been overlooked. I was annoyed with my After Bite too (not as annoyed as I would have been if it was food!).....the Canadian Tire here is ridiculously small.....so they really don't have all that much stock to keep track of.....at least when it comes to things with expiry dates.
    missxhillary likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

i knowww!!! even at metro, when they have a reduced sticker you know it's still got about a week, or it's that last day and it'll be more then half off.. and it's not like it was a box hidden in the back or something THERE WAS 3 LEFT!!! that's 3 boxes of expired food from 9 freaking months ago.
    I don't want to have to check every single expiry date on every single food product.. it's not my job to ensure the store is selling fresh food. grr.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Ewww. It makes me miss the days of when Dominion had the "fresh obsessed" policy where you got the item for free if there was an expired one on the shelf. They went through and cleared out soon to expire stuff very fast.
    Shwa Girl and missxhillary like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

As a person who worked retail in the past, consumers should always check the packaging date expiry and package integrity.

Staff do try to check expiry dates, but as more and more staff hours are cut, things like that slip by.

That said, here is a website that discusses how long food is good past the expiry date:
    http://www.stilltasty.com/
    aussie and glowworm2k like this.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Always always check every expiry! Hubby used to work in grocery and the boxed selfstable stuff are pretty much never checked for dates unless there has been MULTIPLE complaints.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

greencanuck i get that, but i won't eat food past an expiry date... they put the date on there for a reason.. and they should be hiring 1 person part time for each store that sells food, just to come in once or twice a week to do STRICTLY expiry date checks.

it's disgusting.. ill never purchase an edible product there again.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My CT doesn't sell food aside from snacks...I doubt I would buy any kind of food at a store that specializes in tires...that being said, I also very very very rarely buy food at a store like Wal-Mart because I have a hard time even thinking about buying food in a place that also mixes paint or sells motor oil....might just be me.
    missxhillary likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

the only reason i even went to CT for food, was it's 5 minutes away walking with a baby stroller.. as to metro that takes me an extra 15 minutes to get to.... but next time. i wont be lazy.. ill walk the extra 15 minutes for quality.

Trading Score
    213 (98%)

I work at safeway and we get regular audits from the company. they come an scour our shelves for close dated and out dated product. If we have any...we get in trouble..so you can all rest assured that any product you buy from a safeway store will not be outdated!!
    Canadian Tire is a hell hole...I very rarely go there and have never even bothered using a coupon in one..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by misstarbender View Post
    I work at safeway and we get regular audits from the company. they come an scour our shelves for close dated and out dated product. If we have any...we get in trouble..so you can all rest assured that any product you buy from a safeway store will not be outdated!!
    Canadian Tire is a hell hole...I very rarely go there and have never even bothered using a coupon in one..
    nope..thats where DH was working...they didn't check dates at his store...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information