User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Speckled28
  • 3 Post By janetta
  • 1 Post By glowworm2k
  • 1 Post By janetta

Thread: I am planning a BBQ for my son's girlfriends family!! I need ideas ..please help!!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Hi everyone!!
    I am hoping to get some ideas from you guys!
    You always have the best ideas
    so here it is:
    I want as much done before as possible
    -needs to be all gluten free
    -I need something fancier then burgers and dogs
    -needs to be dairy, sulphates , pineapple,fish,shellfish,pork,dill,curry,orange ,egg,nuts,FREE!!!
    See why I need your help???

Any ideas would be very helpful
    Thanks in advance!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't know what's left....food wise! lol Other than the gluten are all the other restrictions due or personal choice, or allergies? (If you don't mind sharing that is.....I'm just curious since I've never met anyone with such strict eating guidelines!)
    Abby5 likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I have lots of food allergies and so does her family...so those are them combined
    i am think chickhen ? Potatoes and salad? Kinda boring
    i can make almost anything gluten/wheat free now
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Any one have a good dairy free whip cream like recipe??
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

BBq souvlaki with roasted potatoes and greek salad with the cheese ommited or replaced with something dairy free?
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

• Quinoa salad! You can add loads of fresh veggies and beans to it, There are tonnes of recipes online.
    • Coleslaw
    • A take on pulled pork sandwiches, but with chicken? Served on burger buns, topped with coleslaw
    • Roasted potato salad with bacon :D
    • Tacos? Not the ground beef kind (although, that's not bad either) but you can BBQ some marinated skirt steak/chicken, slice it up thin and have warm corn tortillas on the side. Serve it with guacamole, fresh salsa, bean salad, limes and vegan sour cream, Daiya cheese! Maybe some seasoned rice? Serve corn chips on the side?
    • A berry trifle (can be prepared before hand in glass/plastic cups) made with fresh berries, dairy free pudding or cool whip and crushed gluten free cookies
    • Maybe have a pot of chili on the side in a slow cooker?

Hope that helps- I know they aren't all "cook on the BBQ" ideas, but you can make most of it before hand!
    Have a blast!
    lotus, Natalka and Abby5 like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BuggaBugga View Post
    BBq souvlaki with roasted potatoes and greek salad with the cheese ommited or replaced with something dairy free?
    Great idea!! Thanks
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    • Quinoa salad! You can add loads of fresh veggies and beans to it, There are tonnes of recipes online.
    • Coleslaw
    • A take on pulled pork sandwiches, but with chicken? Served on burger buns, topped with coleslaw
    • Roasted potato salad with bacon :D
    • Tacos? Not the ground beef kind (although, that's not bad either) but you can BBQ some marinated skirt steak/chicken, slice it up thin and have warm corn tortillas on the side. Serve it with guacamole, fresh salsa, bean salad, limes and vegan sour cream, Daiya cheese! Maybe some seasoned rice? Serve corn chips on the side?
    • A berry trifle (can be prepared before hand in glass/plastic cups) made with fresh berries, dairy free pudding or cool whip and crushed gluten free cookies
    • Maybe have a pot of chili on the side in a slow cooker?

Hope that helps- I know they aren't all "cook on the BBQ" ideas, but you can make most of it before hand!
    Have a blast!
    Great ideas!!! Is cool whip dairy free??
    Thanks soooo much!!
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Hey Abby,
    Um...i'm at a lose for ideas...let us know what you do end up doing though.
    I know a lot of people with a variety of food allergies, and would love to host some things this summer too!
    DANGER

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    I have lots of food allergies and so does her family...so those are them combined
    i am think chickhen ? Potatoes and salad? Kinda boring
    i can make almost anything gluten/wheat free now
    Oh my! I can't imagine having to watch what I eat that closely! If your son and his girlfriend get married it should make for some interesting wedding meal planning!!

And I don't think chicken and potato salad are boring! I think they're traditional....people look forward to them during the summer!

I had some extra time last night and went puttering around the internet looking for dessert recipes and found a couple that I thought sounded yummy and had good reviews. As far as I can tell they follow your guidelines, but I'm sure you're much better and picking apart ingredients than I am!

http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-s...gg-free-309848

http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/rec...whipped_cream/ (this one is just a coconut whipped cream topping....but thought it might be nice with a cake or whatnot)

I also thought that sponge toffee might make a nice dessert or munchie but when I looked it up some sites said corn syrup is bad and others said it was fine? Other than corn syrup it uses sugar, baking soda, water and vanilla. It won't hold up well outside on a super hot day though.....if it's inside, or brought out for a while it would be fine.
    Last edited by Speckled28; Wed, May 16th, 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

One of my go-to bbq staples (I eat vegetarian about 80-90% of the time) is grilled portobello caps. DH loves these as well and regularly requests them instead of meat - portobellos actually have a rich, full-bodied taste that gives the same kind of umami as meat. You can make or pick up some gluten free buns and some soy cheez to put on them for added yum!
    Other ideas that I use:
    - veggie skewers
    - grilled eggplant and yam slices (you can partially pre-cook the yam to get it tender before it burns)
    - german coleslaw (zesty and made with an oil and vinegar dressing, no mayo!), just avoid onions as they are high in sulfates
    - fruit salad
    - rice and bean stuffed peppers
    - dirty rice (rice and beans) as a side dish
    - dessert: you can do fruit trays, gluten free cake (I make them sometimes for my mom... try the manifestvegan.com blog for vegan, gluten free recipes), strawberries and cool whip, cookies/dessert bars, etc.

There's lots of possibilities; I'm sure you'll have a full menu and happy guests!!

And yes, cool whip and nutriwhip are dairy-free and vegan! We use cool whip instead of ice cream as a garnish for pie/cake as my Dad has a dairy allergy
    Abby5 likes this.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

Cool whp has milk in it. I remember a couple years ago my friend who is lactose intolerant bought it, as she had been forever because it was her treat that she had to have, and after eating a good deal of it came down with a horrendous stomach ache. Lo and behold the recipe for it had been changed and it now contained milk and cream.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BuggaBugga View Post
    Cool whp has milk in it. I remember a couple years ago my friend who is lactose intolerant bought it, as she had been forever because it was her treat that she had to have, and after eating a good deal of it came down with a horrendous stomach ache. Lo and behold the recipe for it had been changed and it now contained milk and cream.
    I thought I looked at it before too. That is too bad...that would have been easy
    New mom October 2014!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Cool whip does have milk and cream, but the "lite" and "free" variety don't.
    I'm not sure if it's a lactose thing, or if it's a vegan thing, but they do contain caseinate, which is dirived from dairy!
    (My bf won't eat it, he's vegan). Same thing with Dream Whip.
    Abby5 likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Thread Information