User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By heatherbassoon
  • 2 Post By gujuman23
  • 1 Post By gujuman23
  • 1 Post By gujuman23
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: What university / program would be the best?!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I THINK that I've decided to go to UOIT for Security and Networking(DIT, no Co-op)...however not really sure, since I also got accepted to Brock(BSc Honours with CO-OP), and Carleton(CIN Bachelor of Information Technology with CO-OP). I'm insanely confused as to where to go, and the reputability of these schools! UOIT & Carleton offers Cisco Certifications, but UOIT doesn't offer Co-op, where as Carleton does! What do you guys think?! If any of you have past experiences, or know if these program I'd GREATLY appreciate your respond! Thank you!
    This thread is currently associated with: Co-op
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

bump
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I hope you find your answer, Hon...this is a very personal decision you have to make. I'm sure they're all reputable schools..only you can figure out what the best "fit" is for you. If co-op is what you're looking for, then your decision has been made.
    Good luck with whatever you decide....and congratulations for continuing your education!
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Given the economy, and nothing else, I'd say go for Carleton simply because of the co-op option. It is incredibly difficult to find a job these days and any leg up you can get experience and networking-wise is the best option imo.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you Lynn!! Really difficult lol, breaking out in pimples cause of this darn thing!!

Heather, i totally agree, the Co-op is a HUGE advantage.. however its specifically Networking, where as UOIT is both Networking Security. As well it has a internship? Which im not so sure what it is, i assume its like co-op, no? Thanks for your input!
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It looks like you've already made your decision...Did you see their twitter page?
    http://twitter.com/#!/UOIT
    They're on youtube.com, too!!
    Good luck and let us know your decision!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No I actually didn't! Thanks for that! Will definitely check them out on Twitter and Youtube! Haha, I wish, have alot of research to do this week! Thanks alot for your input.. you have no idea how many forums i visited to get an answer with no replies at all! & Will post when i decide! and of course why, for anyone else that has the same problem!
    matrix82 and Lynn49 like this.
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

BTW...we haven't been formally introduced...I'm Lynn...and welcome to the forums!!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

There are lots of things to think about with both the programs and the different cities they are offered in. Where in Ontario do you want to live??

If UOIT has an internship and the dual focus, I personally would go for that program. My undergrad program was very, very different, but I got a job once my internship placement ended which was awesome as I had been working 60+ hours a week between finishing coursework, doing my part-time job and doing my internship. The big difference between internship and co-op is no pay, but this isn't always as huge a disadvantage as it sounds: employers can see your work ethic and how hard you work, which is the important part! I think that having two areas of specialization is the big advantage of the UOIT program as it may allow you to qualify for more jobs when you get out in the workforce. (As I'm in Ottawa, you think I'd recommend Carleton, but around here its reputation is mixed and the job prospects in Ottawa for IT stuff aren't as hot as they used to be, and you may want to stay where you go to school )

I don't know if any of this will help, but good luck as you think it all through!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

If I were to go to school again...I'd take a course in a field of work that doesn't rely heavily on the economy to function.
    I'm an engineer (mining to be specific) when the times are good...they are good...when the economy went down...times were bad.

My wife is a Chartered Accountant....her work didn't go through a hiccup (she works at a firm). I guess companies always need to be audited and their taxes done regardless of how bad the economy is.
    Matt

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lynn49 - Hey Lynn, nice to meet you! Im Pavan Thanks! Actually been apart of smartcanucks for a while!

Glowworm2k - Awesome!! Thanks for your reply! I dont really care about the money from intership, im looking for the experience! Actually your reply as swayed me back onto UOIT's track, (only cause you said Carletons rep aint all that good + the IT market up in Ottawa). Living on campus is actually what i prefer to do (new experience, freedom, etc)...but the rep/quality of the school always comes first! And a question, what is a dual focus?! Thanks for your reply! :D

Kanewtz - Yeah, i figured that like couple of months ago, after researching and finding out IT aint so hot no more! But honestly, there's nothing else I really like. I was originally going to go for a pilots license, and become a Commercial Airlines pilot...but at a Uni fair, a rep from Western told me some cold-hard facts which was a huge turn off. Hey, if anything I was thinking of doing a private business! Thanks for your reply :D
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Hey gujuman23, when I say dual focus, I mean that the program offers courses and training on both networking and security.... having two areas of expertise sure will help in the hunt for work... employers love seeing diversity in your experience. I think it would open some doors too if you do continuing education (e.g., the odd extra course after you graduate - I know that this is a big thing in many professions, including technology ones, to stay current and up-to-date on the newest developments) after your program - there would be two different areas that you could pursue

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glowworm2k - ohhhhh okay okay. Yeah that was exactly what I was thinking! Having experience/knowledge in both fields would be for sure be an asset! I think that im looking at UOIT now, for a few reasons...its dual focus,I can live home which would save enough for me to buy a decent car! But, cant lie; Carleton is looking good.. cause well, I want to move out, and have that experience! Thanks to all that replied! :D will let you know my FINAL decision!
    glowworm2k likes this.
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Soo just following up, and posting an answer for anyone that has the same question ;
    I ended up choosing UOIT, because it has has dual focus (or even tri focus, since I can minor in business). This is probarbly more of an asset in the workplace than just knowledge on say Networking, or Security; as well with the added business course it gives me the chance to hop onto another career path if i dont like IT down the road! As well as the program, the facility seems really good, as you may know UOIT is fairly new, and they have an up to date lab consisting of the latest and greatest technology, which is a great positive! The only down side to UOIT, however, is the fact that there is no Co-op, but rather only an internship which really inst guaranteed, even if you have the B+ average! Hope i help someone out!
    Oh and also, (fyi) Brock is focused more on Data Communications, and Carleton is strictly Networking Cheers! Wish me luck!
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    UOIT Class of 2016

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gujuman23 View Post
    Soo just following up, and posting an answer for anyone that has the same question ;
    I ended up choosing UOIT, because it has has dual focus (or even tri focus, since I can minor in business).

I have as student for the summer from UOIT. I think the Oshawa businesses really like what is going on at that school -- graduates are great.

Best of luck to you. I think you chose well, IMHO.
    gujuman23 likes this.

Thread Information