Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By jasperandchar
  • 2 Post By momof5boys
  • 1 Post By Jina
  • 2 Post By jasperandchar

Thread: battle of the sexes or = responsibilities

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Just curious......It seems that in every household there is 1 person that holds the purse strings (if you will). Who in your household does the budget, banking, etc....And is your partner aboard for the ride. It takes a little while for the coupon savings to add up but once they evenutally do watch out.

In my household, I am the one that does the banking, budgeting, the Yays are well rec'd and the not so liked Nays. If roles were reversed...watch out...things would obviously be different that is for certain.

For the most part my husband is along for the ride. We have for the past 8 years been doing a five year plan. In our cases we put extra $ every week away for income tax and if there is extra (which in our cases there always is) it's like a mini lottery come April. Our 5 year plan consist of things we want to purchase, accomplish and whatever.

WHO does the banking and do you have a five year plan?

Over the past eight years; here is what we have acheived;

purchased a waterfront cottage lot = paid cash in 2008
    purchased a 3 year old truck = paid cash in 2009
    purchased a utility vehichle (side by side) = paid cash
    poking along at building our cottage, we're in but the cottage is no ways near finished = paid cash every year
    purchased my car at the time 3 years old = paid cash in 2007
    purchased a portable saw mill = paid cash in 2007
    purchased a 2006 kubuta tractor this year (2012) = paid cash
    purchased a garage 20x22 and it was moved to our home = paid cash in 2011
    This thread is currently associated with: Garage
    matrix82 and Anna Michele like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

WOW it is amazing what you have been able to pay for in cash! This is our goal too! In my family we are just really starting to work together really, we have always had the same goals, but the communication hasnt always been where we need to be with it. Something that over the last 6 months we have made HUGE strides in. YEAH US!! I tend to be the planner and bill payer, but my husband has been taking a lot of it over now, ahhhhh and it is soooo good!
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It takes alot of open communciation and as you said working together for the same end result (goal), you'll get there....thanks for sharing.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

It is amazing what one can achieve with planning and good communication In our household, I am in charge of paying the bills and keeping track of the budget. My hubby and I have the same approach, always having lived frugally, and now totally debt free We just hope that our boys learn well from this life style - just a wonderful stress free feeling not to focus on 'wants' but only on 'needs' (including the needs of those in third world poverty).

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Just curious......It seems that in every household there is 1 person that holds the purse strings (if you will). Who in your household does the budget, banking, etc....And is your partner aboard for the ride. It takes a little while for the coupon savings to add up but once they evenutally do watch out.

In my household, I am the one that does the banking, budgeting, the Yays are well rec'd and the not so liked Nays. If roles were reversed...watch out...things would obviously be different that is for certain.

For the most part my husband is along for the ride. We have for the past 8 years been doing a five year plan. In our cases we put extra $ every week away for income tax and if there is extra (which in our cases there always is) it's like a mini lottery come April. Our 5 year plan consist of things we want to purchase, accomplish and whatever.

WHO does the banking and do you have a five year plan?

Over the past eight years; here is what we have acheived;

purchased a waterfront cottage lot = paid cash in 2008
    purchased a 3 year old truck = paid cash in 2009
    purchased a utility vehichle (side by side) = paid cash
    poking along at building our cottage, we're in but the cottage is no ways near finished = paid cash every year
    purchased my car at the time 3 years old = paid cash in 2007
    purchased a portable saw mill = paid cash in 2007
    purchased a 2006 kubuta tractor this year (2012) = paid cash
    purchased a garage 20x22 and it was moved to our home = paid cash in 2011
    aemi and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

you are very organized!

i don't lay out a plan, but i do all the shopping, and do all the research and comparing when we make major purchases.

i totally believe in saving for something, and not buying it before you have the cash for it. i really dislike the idea of making vehicle purchases on credit.

thanks for sharing your story
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks momof5boys and anisa for sharing your stories as well.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

wow I'm amazed at what you have been able to accomplish, I have long way to go but we have been making weekly payments on our credit card to hopefully (fingers crossed) have it paid off by Christmas. I cannot wait to be debt free. I still make bi-weekly payments for my 2007 van that was purchased in 2008 and still have a ways to go. I'll never do that again.

You are an inspiration, Mr. CBB would love to hear your paid in cash story. He has made me realized the error of my ways.

Back to your question, I take care of the actual paying of the bills, and do all the household shopping while DH makes the majority of the money to do so. DH is the back seat driver and keeps me on track before couponing I don't think I really knew the value of a dollar I would never ever go back to the way we (I) were living before
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

I take care of the entire budget - so the bill paying, the grocery list, etc. I won't say that I'm awesome at it, and I'm sure we could save more money, but between the two of us, I'm the more financially responsible one so it just makes sense. And DH is totally on board with it (thankfully), he will readily admit that he has tendencies to spend spend spend until it's all gone (a lesson well learned from his parents lol).

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DH takes care of our finances (mortgage, bill, insurance, rrsp/tfsa/resp, etc) but he does share with me what we have paid, how much we saved etc.
    He keeps all the records too. He had his own business, so he's used to taking care of finances. He files our tax return, shop around for cheaper deals etc.

I take care of the groceries, couponing, DS's daycare, travel planning and booking when we go on holidays,

We have bought 2 vehicles (1 used and 1 new) over the past 4 years and paid cash for both.
    We also always pay our credit cards in full and on time.

The only debt we have is our mortgage and we like and prefer it this way. Anything that we want to buy, we ask for the other's opinion first. We only buy if we think it's worth it. We are not big spenders.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Anna Michele you do what you can, the best way you know how, things for us were not always this way, great job keep up the hard work and thanks for sharing!

vibrantflame atleast the more fiscally responsible person is in charge (lol) as well don't take financial advice from your in-laws (lol)

Jina absolutely wonderful, great that he is so organized and willing!
    Jina and Anna Michele like this.

Thread Information