User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: A new scam we received in the mail....watch out!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Does anyone want a share in Gaddaffi's loot??? And possibly some of his lady guards...as they are now asking me for help to move their earnings form Libya????

One Sagt Dan Brown is the laeader....
    Lynn49 and DaveP like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Dan Brown? I know he writes pretty good books?.. . .didn't know he was a sargeant too! Boy! He's a busy guy!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks for the info! And it is so a scam LOL. Just be reading it you can tell.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I never understood how people fall for these things....
    Lot of senior citizens who are too trusting , can't say no and are not too upto date with technology like internet etc fall for it.

I met a senior citizen in my local public library , he must be atleast 75 if not more was taken in for $ 70,000 by one of the email scams

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I was watching a news report out of Toronto and they were talking about a particular scam there. They said one man paid over 2 million! Another woman remortgaged her house and then lost it in the end. Another man lost over $200, 000. It's SO sad. I know we laugh and joke because we know better but I really do feel bad for those folks. They will have to work for the rest of their lives and feel shame.
    Insane and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I get tons of phishing emails in my junk folder looking for me to confirm my banking information. I just went to see if I had an example and yep - check out this winner!

Dear *****@live.ca

TD Canada Trust periodically reviews accounts to check for fraud and/or illegal transactions.

Following this process, some inconsistencies were found in your CIBC account.

To avoid any inconvenience regarding your account, such as suspension or limitation, please complete the form to verify your personal information.

To do so, please sign in on the link below and follow the steps:

https://*************

This is an automated message. Please do not reply directly to this e-mail.

TD Canada Trust - Copyright © TD 2012
    Too funny. First off, I don't bank with TD. Second banks don't send this kind of email. Third, why would my bank (if it were my bank) say dear [email address] instead of Dear DaveP? Fourth it's supposed to be from TD then they start talking about CIBC. Bwahaha! They mixed up the banks!

And their link was fake. If you hover your mouse over the link you can see what the link actually is on the bottom left of your browser. If it doesn't match with what's written in the body of the email, scam city.
    Last edited by DaveP; Tue, May 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
    matrix82 and kava5 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We've actually been victims of this in that people who send these letters out steal our logo from our website, create some letterhead with it, and send out these fake cheques. The cheques come with a letter saying that they are receiving payment for online survey taking or mystery shopping and all they have to do is wire a few hundred dollars to a Western Union account so that their identity can be confirmed (or some other lame excuse is made) and they can then cash the cheque. I have seen the cheques myself and they are very convincing - they typically have holographs and the letters often include a phone number which often will connect you to a live person, before of course the line is disconnected a few days later.

I've worked with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre a few times now to put a stop to this yet years later, these letters are still mailed and people still fall for them. It seems that they are very difficult to trace and few arrests have been made.

I've received phone calls from people who have wired money to these accounts are are desperate to get it back...it's heartbreaking.

If you get a cheque for something you didn't sign up for or didn't ever expect, alarm bells should ring immediately. It's like the old adage says - if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
    DaveP likes this.
    Get good karma by joining Tellwut surveys under me!

Be a Smart Canuck! Check out: Canadian Paid Surveys

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got an email recently from my own bank asking me to verify my pin and other information.
    But now I'm so confused because the letter was headed with "Dear Costumer" and I'm not a costumer by trade...
    DaveP likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kava5 View Post
    I got an email recently from my own bank asking me to verify my pin and other information.
    But now I'm so confused because the letter was headed with "Dear Costumer" and I'm not a costumer by trade...

LOL!! I actually laughed at loud at that one! Don't you just want to send them back an email and suggest that their scam might be more effective if they learned how to spell?

It really is sad that people prey on others this way though. But sometimes I shake my head at people who actually believe that someone is willing to share their $10 million with them. Or that some long lost relative died and left them millions of dollars, but they have to pay the Rhodesian government $10,000 in taxes to get it. Come on.... do people not use their heads? Sad.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This scam is big in the US.
    Guess they are branching out to Canada.
    They have cleaned out people's bank account with this scam.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Just dispicable and disgusting.....they've got to be incredibly heartless to steal money from people like this.....I hope karma bites them in the a$$ and fast!!!
    ishyx0x likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I wonder when we are going to see a Canadian version of this with PM Harper paying your utility bills instead of President Obama.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I wonder when we are going to see a Canadian version of this with PM Harper paying your utility bills instead of President Obama.
    No one would beleive it...........
    Darth Penguin likes this.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    No one would beleive it...........
    No but they might believe McGuinty would!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
    No but they might believe McGuinty would!
    True ......and I would hate it if anyone fell for that ruse.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information