User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh thank you now I know what you guys are talking about. Thanks again.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for the head's up on this. Good call!

Wouldn't go out of my way for the points, but each bit helps...

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

HBC points is no optimum program. They are worth so little it really isn't worth considering when making a purchase, eg if you used a $5 free item coupon there you get about 3 cents worth of points. Even bestbuys reward car has a higher payout then regular hbc deal (the occaisonal points coupons from HBS can be a good deal)

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    HBC points is no optimum program. They are worth so little it really isn't worth considering when making a purchase, eg if you used a $5 free item coupon there you get about 3 cents worth of points. Even bestbuys reward car has a higher payout then regular hbc deal (the occaisonal points coupons from HBS can be a good deal)
    That's why I have my HBC rewards(whatever little I get) set to transfer into AirMiles points which are worth far more to me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    50 (100%)

It's still good to know where you can get bonus points when using a FPC and have the option to shop there rather than getting no points at all.

I thought it would be a good idea to start posting a list of the stores that gives you points for the FPCs.

[vbp_tr_most_helpful_all]
    Trading Score
    492 (100%)

Yes i too never care about HBC points, unless they have bonus points coupons for 30,000 points, etc. They don't come anywhere closer to the value of Shoppers points. I would prefer to take my FPCs to Shoppers and let them enter 2002 code, so that i don't have to pay any tax on it.
    By the way, there is no difference whether the Optimum card was scanned before the items were rang or after. Whether you get points for your coupons or not depends on the code(2001,2002 or 2004) they enter, not on when they scanned the Optimum card.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

also -- if you are using your FPCs at Zellers -- the cashier has to enter *Total* after the FPCs that include tax (hopefully all of them)so that she knows the price after tax in order to deduct - otherwise it will add tax on them.. Most are so new, esp with their new system that they dont know how to do it.. BUT if you are using your SPC card -- the SPC discount is rung in BEFORE all COUPONS.. So let's say you are using a bunch of FPCs -- that require you to pay tax.. If you use your SPC then it would deduct the 10% before coupons from the original balance.. This is the case with any coupon -- so it works better on items where you are just using a $$$ coupon..

for instance.
    use your $10 Gilette coupon.. You will get 10% of the total price of razor and then have $10 deducted from bill.. so that is an extra $1 that will go towards the rest of your bill..

Hopefully not too confusing -- i know couponlady understands.. LOL

[vbp_tr_most_helpful_all]
    Trading Score
    492 (100%)

Yeah i can understand your point LLBB

I wonder how are you people able to use SPC card. They always ask me the student ID.Do you have VIP ones?

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

oh yes -- i have the vip one.. my mom works at the zellers I go to -- so I am sure she would hear it if i tried with the other one.. so ya -- i get it through loulou.

kib
    Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't have the SDM card, but figure Zellers with SPC has got to be a better deal, even given the near worthlessness of Hbc rewards points.

Zellers treats coupons as tender, in other words a form of cash. So yes, they total all items and add GST before subtracting coupons. You are still buying a "free" item, but you are using a coupon to pay for it. You pay GST on it, just like any other taxable item. Seems fair to me.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

it is entirely fair to pay tax on an FPC that doesnt include tax. Some FPCs do -- in which case it should be rung in separetly or get a cashier who understand the concept of *tax included in face value*

in the case where you are to pay tax yourself -- you could use the SPC card -- get the 10% off and then provide the FPC -- i dont see how this wont work..

since i think it is a simple $4.99 -- minus 10% SPC -- minus -$4.99 -- you'd end up paying .02 if that makes sense .. again -- it is an art form really..

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I don't have the SDM card, but figure Zellers with SPC has got to be a better deal, even given the near worthlessness of Hbc rewards points.

Zellers treats coupons as tender, in other words a form of cash. So yes, they total all items and add GST before subtracting coupons. You are still buying a "free" item, but you are using a coupon to pay for it. You pay GST on it, just like any other taxable item. Seems fair to me.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is no tax charged the customer on a "free" item coupon, the government sets the tax rules
    http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/guides/rst/511.html

Yes I know stores are massively inconsistently. They can be set straight with a call to ON RST office or similar for those so inclined. Most likely head office customer service will be well aware of that, and well aware the front line staff aren't doing things correctly often.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There is most likely a loss in value by converting HBC points to airmiles, though since value received is so small the loss will be small.

"I don't have the SDM card, but figure Zellers with SPC has got to be a better deal, even given the near worthlessness of Hbc rewards points."

There is no "loyalty card" anywhere that comes remotely close to what is possible with SDM, once one understands how it works and are willing to jump through hoops shopping on the right days to maximize the deal. Otehr card deals, HBC, bestbuy, airmiles, etc are all +/- !% area...SDm on 20X day can be considered like getting 30% off SDM's price, on everything in the store (may be a great deal, or no deal)

"Zellers treats coupons as tender"

Its correct for "dollar off" coupon, its not correct for "free". They don't intend for it to be that way, its the staff dont' know.
    Last edited by zoro; Mon, Oct 20th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

kib
    Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The only fpcs I have used have had a space for the cashier to write the price. Say the price was $3.29. The coupon is then treated as a $3.29-off coupon. Is this correct in Alberta? I don't know. I assume it is.

I fear it would be too much to ask of Zellers cashiers to treat $-off coupons one way and "free" item coupons another way. I feel lucky when I get a cashier who knows what to do with an SPC card and a couple of ordinary coupons.

I may have to get the SDM Optimum card, but I gather from what I read here at SmartCanucks that you only get those multiple point bonanzas if you spend so many $$$.

Nat
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

just to confirm.. FPC free product coupons??
    ~* Give the Breath of LIFE. Help FIGHT CYSTIC FIBROSIS*~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information