User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Our house brag and new to me appliances

Coupon Guru in Training couponer2's Avatar
    Trading Score
    141 (100%)

So my DH and I bought a foreclose property from the bank about a year ago (as I mentioned in another post my family jokes that even my house was couponed) The house was a disaster a total gut job from roof to drywall ,pluming,fireplace and electrical .... you name it (this was once we removed 15 + mattress and 5 sofa sets and as much stuff as you would see on an episode of hoarders) and everything we have , money ,time and sweat have been going into it.The first thing that needed to be done after the cleanup was the roof which I'm proud to say we did ourselves and is finished and we saved 12,000 off the estimates we got next came windows doors and insulation,again which we did ourselves and saved another 9,000 off the estimates Plus we got federal and provincial grants amounting almost $4300.00 back.Bit by bit we have been tackling the rooms ,new drywall, crown molding and paint still aways to go but getting there.
    We have been roughing with plywood floors(the very scary carpets where among the first things to go)and unfinished bathrooms and a kitchen with a ancient but functional fridge and no stove ,I've been using a electric fry pan,microwave and crock pot to cook our meals.

Well my brag today is that on Used Victoria(sort of like Craig-list but better) I found and bought a set of 2 year old top of the line Stainless steel appliances fringe, dishwasher and finally a STOVE for only $800 for the three. The receipt from the original purchase shows that the cost was $3650 We never could have afforded a set of this quality new and best of all the stove is an self-cleaning convection oven which bakes like a dream!!! The old fridge will get picked up by BC Hydro on their fridge buyback program so we will get an additional $30 back After an year of no stove I am in heaven! It will be awhile before we get around to installing the dishwasher as there are many many more house projects to do before kitchen remolding but we are slowly but surely getting there

Oh well I just thought I would take a break from painting to share my little brag with you and hope you all have a great day

****Well I spent a couple hours trying to upload pics and they kept erasing or just not showing up but I did manage to get a couple "before" pics as far as my profile album if you want a peek. I'll have to wait for some more free time before figuring out how to post them here lol (old dog new tricks and all .....we lived on and isolated farm up the coast and didn't have computers let alone the internet and only by coming on this site have I taught my self so much ....as you can tell by my over-usage my other posts I just learned colour and font/size changing)
    *****I also wrote alittle more of our saga in posts #12 & #32 of this thread
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft
    Last edited by couponer2; Tue, Aug 14th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
    CHECK OUT MY TRADE/WISH LINK

Couponer2's Trade and Wish List*

CLICK ABOVE​* LINE*FOR DIRECT ACCESS TO MY TRADE LIST

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Like, Like, Like.

Sounds like a lot of work, but you will know that it is done right once it is finished. I hope you are taking pictures of the process. I'd love to see before, during and after.

Hope the rest of your renovation goes smoothly. Congrats on the new appliances (two years old is like new).
    walkonby, ssbean, rish and 2 others like this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    117 (100%)

Awesome! You should be blogging about all this.
    matrix82, walkonby, ssbean and 3 others like this.
    Support your Starbucks habit like me.Free Starbucks Gift Cards!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

That's great that you guys have been able to tackle a lot of the projects yourself!! Congrats on your steal of a deal
    ssbean, rish, sharkie and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

wow it amazes me when young people will do the work themselves. You and your husband should be very proud of yourselves.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Great brag! I hope you post some before and afters ........

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

congrats...love ths brag. I hope i will be able to do something like that in our future as me and DH are also planning on doing something similar when we will buy our first property. Well done both of you

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Wow couponer2 I am so happy for you...you and your dh should be very proud of what you have accomplished....you have certainly done great and I am happy you got your new appliances...enjoy your home and I wish all the best with it and your future renovations....you deserve it!

Name:  75870_1.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  19.2 KB
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you – not because they are nice, but because you are.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh I agree with above posters, if you could share before and after pics, how awesome would that be for us!? I know the sweat you guys have put into this was astounding ( I can't even imagine doing that) but seems you work well together and have a goal. Keep up the great reno work!!

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponer2 View Post
    the roof ... we saved 12,000 off the estimates we got

windows doors and insulation...saved another 9,000 off the estimates Plus we got federal and provincial grants amounting almost $4300.00 back

2 year old top of the line Stainless steel appliances fringe, dishwasher and finally a STOVE for only $800 for the three... the cost was $3650

The old fridge will get picked up by BC Hydro on their fridge buyback program so we will get an additional $30 back
    Amazing brag.
    Great score on appliances.

This is going to be the house that pays you back, with all the savings and rebates.
    WTG.
    walkonby, ssbean, rish and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

great job! picks?

Coupon Guru in Training couponer2's Avatar
    Trading Score
    141 (100%)

Well thank you all for your well wishes Colleen you made me smile with your young people comment I actually just turned 50 and my Dh is 53 though you wouldn't know he was if you went by his energy level I am such a lucky woman!!!

And Shwa girl the house is house is actually paying us back, though all of the hoarders mess cost us about $1100 in garbage fees to dispose of The garbage bill would have been about 3 times higher but I held a" free "sale and let people come and take what they wanted and anything left over went up in flames in 4 huge bonfires.

We made back over $600 in all the metal we took to the scrap yard( bbqs,appliances car parts & car batteries ....well you name it )there were 4 pickup truck loads (think Beverly hillbilly size loads)
    And there were a few things of worth left in the house that we advertised and sold on Used Victoria that made up and paid for the rest of the garbage bill.

The 10 acre property came with two houses on it and we spent the first 2months concentrating ALL our renovating efforts on the "Guest house" and have now had it rented out to a wonderful couple for about a year now and at $1350 a month it pays for the morgage ,taxes and insurance on the property

I will get pics posted when I figure out how lol
    Last edited by couponer2; Mon, Aug 6th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
    CHECK OUT MY TRADE/WISH LINK

Couponer2's Trade and Wish List*

CLICK ABOVE​* LINE*FOR DIRECT ACCESS TO MY TRADE LIST

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    273 (100%)

Excellent brag!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

WOW! What a fantastic story..thank-you for sharing that with us. Sounds like you have made some very smart decision.

Yes...please do post some pics...I'd love to see all your hard work too!
    ssbean, rish, Judyhill and 2 others like this.
    My Trade List Saved $1993 in 2010..trying to beat that in 2011

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I agree. We need pics.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information