User Tag List

Thread: Sterling Shoes

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

II had one of the worst shopping experiences of my life at Sterling Shoes this past week as did my sister (two separate locations).

1. I used my SPC card for 10% off, they never told me nor did it state anywhere this then considers the item to be final sale
    2. I went to return it they refused and told me only if i come in during the managers working hours 9-5 (hello, not good for anyone who works) could they only MAYBE discuss the problem
    3. contacted head office and they authorized the return
    4. went back to the store with my letter from head office, second i walked in they said "oh so you contacted head office i see", then they accused me of wearing the shoes and being a liar (in front of an entire store full of customers and a line up at the register). They then told me they couldnt return them.

I have since contacted head office again to tell them about the poor service, but have not received any response. I was quite upset. The sales associate was actually arguing loudly and telling me I was a liar, since they would not of sold a shoe with a couple scruff marks on the bottom. I did take the pair on display as it was the only one of my size. I was quite disappointed.
    This thread is currently associated with: Mark's, SPC Student Price Card

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm so sorry for your experience. I would definitely note the sales associate's name on any further communication with head office. Even though it's probably a minimum wage job, I'm sure someone that can do better would like to have it.

Life has been fantastic! jenna321's Avatar
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Total lack of Customer service! Raise Hell how dare they accuse anyone of lying! I shall not shop there again.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

wow thats pretty bad of them!
    didnt know using that card meant it was final sale!
    I bought a really awesome pair of shoes there in the summer regular $70 on sale for $20 and the people there were really nice that was in kingston though
    where was the one you went to?

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Hoisted by my own petard! eileen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Holy cow, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience.
    Minimum wage job or not, as someone who has worked in mostly retail, there's absolutely no point in arguing with the customer about something that petty.
    First of all, you took the display shoes so you were already getting a lesser quality than you would have normally gotten. Secondly, what's the big deal about returning? How does your returning an item (with a letter from head office) affect the sales associate? It would have made their jobs much easier to accept the return and thank you for your business. Instead they chose to cross a line and not only accuse you of being a liar, but raising their voices in their own store at you... I'm stunned.
    I really hope you take this to the manager or head office, no one should be treated like that and whoever that was should be very worried about keeping their job.

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

I spoke with Head Office on Friday (who said they were going to email me after the call friday, hmmm monday and still havent got one). Anyways they said SPC items are NOT FINAL SALE and the employees have a handbook on how to process SPC - looks like the managers at Sterling Shoes are not very brillant after all that....Once again the customer is right and the company fails to acknowledge this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eileen View Post
    Holy cow, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience.
    Minimum wage job or not, as someone who has worked in mostly retail, there's absolutely no point in arguing with the customer about something that petty.
    First of all, you took the display shoes so you were already getting a lesser quality than you would have normally gotten. Secondly, what's the big deal about returning? How does your returning an item (with a letter from head office) affect the sales associate? It would have made their jobs much easier to accept the return and thank you for your business. Instead they chose to cross a line and not only accuse you of being a liar, but raising their voices in their own store at you... I'm stunned.
    I really hope you take this to the manager or head office, no one should be treated like that and whoever that was should be very worried about keeping their job.

I completely agree with the above post.

Quote Originally Posted by mellyskater View Post
    I spoke with Head Office on Friday (who said they were going to email me after the call friday, hmmm monday and still havent got one). Anyways they said SPC items are NOT FINAL SALE and the employees have a handbook on how to process SPC - looks like the managers at Sterling Shoes are not very brillant after all that....Once again the customer is right and the company fails to acknowledge this.
    Well I'm glad head office cleared that up for you. What are you going to do now.

I've shopped at Sterling many times and I've personally never had a problem though my aunt has. Seems this store can be a hit or miss any given day.

Trading Score
    176 (99%)

Which location was this? Square One?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Think you should have asked the salesperson to just shut up before you press charges for libel maybe that is what you should have mentionned to their HQ also.
    Never let anyone treat you like that.
    I really don't get these stores where they let the employes talk to customers in that fashion, I mean even the people who are in line and listening to all this , probably thought that they would get back in that store in case they were treated as badly.
    Word of mouth is the best publicity a store can get. Winners too have plenty of shoes with scuff marks on them and never had any problems returning these but have to admit that the heels were in pristine condition but on another pair they looked a bit worned so when I bought them I asked that they specify that on my salesbill, so that Iif the shoes didn,t watch my dress I could return them with no problem.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was buying a Puma bag from there once. The sales associate told me as I was looking at it that it was the "last one" they had in stock. Just a couple seconds after I bought the bag and left the store, I turned around to see if I left my wallet in the store when I saw the sales associate restock the display shelf with the identical Puma bag. Gosh. Luckily, my wallet was in pocket.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I guess there are commission so thats why they are so tight with their sales. It just depends on which sales associate you deal with. Like what another user said, "its a hit or miss".

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Sterling is so bad its a commission job so with every return you take you know thats comming off of your next cheque which blows ass.
    I am a sales manager and this blows me away, I have dealt with Sterling before and I question there morals when it comes to customer service best practises.
    All I can say is keep on them, make your voice heard and if no one gets back to you within 2 days of a call or an email call them back.
    I'm so sorry for your bad experience.

Thread Information