• 2 Post By hockeylover
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By Nandiva416
  • 1 Post By CouponLadybird
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

Thread: People Who Dump Animals Suck

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My parents live in a small town by a horse track, so it is a regular occurrence for cats to be dropped off near their street at the horsebarns or sometimes next door (they have 5 kids, so ppl see the kids and think the kids need a cat I guess). The neighbors are regularly needing to find homes for these dropped off cats.

I live in a city and just the last couple days I think someone dropped off a kitten at our apartment building. It's been wandering around for about three days now. I noticed it a couple of times, but thought someone owned it as it was so friendly. Turns out it was so friendly because it was just starving. I just helped a girl and her boyfriend catch the cat. They are taking him in, at least for the next day (spca doesn't open until Monday). The poor thing is only about 6 months old and underfed, although wearing a collar and bell.

There was just a news letter in the local paper about a woman who went on vacation for a week, leaving her dog, two rabbits and a cat to starve, the cat survived, the other animals starved to death. To escape punishment she just packed up her things and moved to Alberta, as apparently she can only be charged if she were to come back to New Brunswick (I don't understand that one). It isn't that difficult to find someone to watch your animals for you, you can hire a neighbourhood kid to do it for cheap. If you can afford a vacation, then you should factor in pet care as well.

Why do people even bother having pets? If you can't afford to get your pet spayed/neutered (which is expensive, I know), then you shouldn't let it go outside or you will get kittens which you should try to prepare for, not simply dumping the animal somewhere away from your neighbourhood. I am just really angry when it comes to people being neglectful and harming animals.

I was so glad to help the woman in my building catch the cat. I know at least now the poor thing will get the food it needs.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Guess
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I agree, some people are just cruel - they think cats especially are self sufficient - they'll just go out and catch mice to eat but that's not the case. It also bugs me when people say they won't spray or neuter their pet because it costs too much when really many centers now have special spay and neuter programs to help lower the cost
    matrix82 and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

So sad, for years, used to collect coupons to feed the stray cats, when the recession hit Ontario, lots got dropped of in the country.
    wolfwoman likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It does happen often, but not always. Cats do wander on their own too, so it's possible that the kitten with the collar wasn't dumped.
    My Mom had a favourite barn cat that she put a collar on because she wanted him returned if he got lost. One day he jumped up on the milk truck and went for a ride without anyone knowing about it. He ended up being found by a woman in the next county. She wanted to keep him because he was very friendly. But she called the number on the tag and my Mom got him back. Barn cats will also choose to leave on their own if they find their current conditions too crowded.
    wolfwoman likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It absolutely disturbs me how many cats ad kittens there are on kijiji when you browse the free section. About half of each page of posts (at least in Halifax) are felines. At least they are trying to be re-homed rather than dumped but it just shows how disposable people find their pets, but cats specifically (you might see one or two dogs, but crazy amounts of cats). the other thing that shocks me is the number of people who place these ads with a picture and not even the cats name or a description of the personality, or why they are re-homing their adult cat after having him/her for 7 years.

That is actually where I adopted my two cats from (kijiji). A family whose new baby was allergic had an ad but were going to drop them off at the shelter if no one wanted them. I got a lot of kudos for adopting a 5 and 7 year old rather than just going for the kitten.

About the cat dumping,... at least they aren't being drowned, , and have a chance to fend for themselves...?

To sound totally cheesy, and like Bob Barker,... "Have your pets spayed or neutered". Their gestation cycle is much shorter and they have multiple babies, meaning crazy multiplication!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

This is abuse. I don't understand why people get pets just to mistreat them. It's just really sad. How do they expect a dog or cat to feed themselves when they are locked inside a house. Did they expect the dog to go out and make money to pay for his/her own food? The dog doesn't have thumbs, it can't even open the front door (silly sarcasm). It's cruel and is torturing the animals.

I've found a pet sitter for my cat. They come once a day and feed and love him, plus they clean the litter. It seems like what a responsible adult does when they go away and leave their pet behind.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a major pet peeve of mine! My parents have a hobby farm (well used to), and people would drop off cats. My parents always felt bad and would keep them as barn cats to try to keep the mouse population down. With that said, my parents have spayed and neutered every single one of their barn cats. They always said they would stop paying to have them spayed/neutered because they kept running away, but they never did. They had one set of kittens born on their property (the cat went into heat before they coud get her to the vet, and she snuck outside), and they found homes for all the cats and kept one (plus the mother). The mother was another rescue cat (someone threw it out a moving car window, which my brother's friends witnessed and grabbed the cat and asked my parents if they would take her).

We even had someone open our barn and drop off 6 rabbits (they were running loose). These rabbits were all sick. Some with colds, snuffles, and abscesses on their body. We had horses inside the barn, plus my show rabbits that could easily have been infected by these sick rabbits. Those rabbits ended up at the SPCA as we couldn't keep them (no more cages, plus they were sick).
    matrix82 likes this.
    Superpoints is back again! Sign up and earn points and cash in for great rewards!
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/7Np...0a_1VnDfDcJDq8 Thank you for using my referral link!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Yep it really sucks that animals have to pay for people`s irresponsibility. I sure wish our government would fund a spay/neuter program. In the US it only costs $25 to get it done as the government funds the program (or at least that`s what it was a few years ago). I think that would help a lot.
    matrix82 and glowworm2k like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

as many of you know theres a free section on kijiji for every area. i visit mine regularly to try and get good deals but it drives me absolutely nuts that there are hundreds of pets for free on there. its distgusting. if you cant afford a dog - dont get one. if your not a cat person - dont get one. its just cruel to the animals to have them for a week or two and then ship them off, or in some cases years and then decide you cant handle it anymore. just my thoughts though
    matrix82 and alicia like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I know some-one who is a farmer and she says that cats and dogs are dumped nearly every week-end in the area of thier farm and that of their neighbours.

And sadly there's coyotes and possibly bears in the area which means that many indoor pets just don't survive , especially the very young or very old ones.
    matrix82 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am an animal activist and actually run a big facebook page on animal rights. And this REALLY grinds my gears! Very upsetting!
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    432 (100%)

We live in the country, and people do that all the time here....it is truly sad when there is an SPCA in town along with another animal shelter and vet who will take animals in no questions asked. We've found a number of strays wondering along a local walking trail, we've also found lots of evidence of animals being dropped (small kittens mainly) that have been found by coyotes/foxes/other animals.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Yes it's sad that people drop off animals......however some people think its okay to drop off kids too......makes me shake my head???????!!!!!!!!??????
    matrix82 likes this.
    ....just be happy

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thread Information