User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I dont go to VV too often. I find that the one where I live is very overpriced. Some of the childrens clothing that I have seen there, I could pay about the same price brand new when it comes on sale.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the last time i shopped at vv i also found the prices have gone up i would rather shop at wal mart at least you have the option of a return

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, the kids clothes are overpriced, I get better deals at children's place or sears when they have sales, and plus the clothes are new. $9.99 for kids jeans thats ridiculous!
    the only good deals I see are books and some toys.
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbh

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Wall-Mart rumour seemingly has a life of it's own, but it's just what are sometimes called "urban myths".

Value Village, along with Savers, and Village Des Valeurs, are owned by TVI, inc. and TVI is owned by Savers, Inc. They operate in Canada, the US, and Australia.

The founder of the company was a Mr. William O. Ellison. His grandfather, Ben Ellison, and his uncle Orlo Ellison created the Salvation Army Thrift Stores in the US during the 1930's and 40's.

Currently Savers is co-owned by the founder's son, a Mr. Tom Ellison, and a Private Equity firm, Freeman Spogli.

Freeman Spogli bought part of Savers, Inc in August 2006 from Berkshire Hathaway, a company owned by well known US billionaire Warren Buffet.

Freeman Spogli is owned by Ronald P. Spogli, the college room-mate of current US president George W Bush. Ronald P. Spogli was appointed US Ambassador to Italy by President Bush.

Freeman Spogli also owns retailers Petco and Mattress Giant.

There is a Wall-Mart connection, however, but not through Value Village. Wall-Mart's extended warranties are through N.E.W. Customers Service Companies, Inc, which is also owned by Freeman Spogli.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

love VV and it is helping me complete my board game connection.. I got almost new Risk, Operation, Yahtzee, Hands-down all for 1.99 each : )
    got about a dozen baskets for the holiday basket making time.. although I do find their clothes on the expensive side for thrift stores (havent seen anything "high-end" like juicy or 7s, but have seen walmart jeans, clearly used, for like $10.. when new walmart jeans on clearance is probably less)

overall 3.5/5 stars, would go if I have a lot of time to kill
    with Wagjag(http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=b6d767d2f8ed5d21a44b0e5886680cb9), I've saved @ Umbra store, Windsor Arms Hotel (Afternoon Tea), Fairmont Royal York Hotel Library Bar, Wanda's Pie in the Sky, Hero Burgers, Menchies Frozen Yogurt, AND Curves Fitness! YOU CAN TOO!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I do like VV but it is very hit and miss. The one near where I work in Toronto always has better deals and items than the one out here where I live.

Like others have said above, clothes are overpriced and generally you can get something for the same price new on sale at Sears, Walmart and other bigger stores

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you find the items are overpriced at VV, speak to the Manager and
    ask if the price is appropriate. Perhaps, the pricer in the back did indeed
    overprice the item. It never hurts to ask and usually you will get it much
    cheaper.

Young Saver
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Cool to see this thread is still up! I second cenyasmom about the pricing, always works for me!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been shopping at VV now for a few years. Recently I've started upgrading my wardrobe,so my visits have increased dramatically.

I'm used to thrift stores having price categories. (ie: all mens shirts 3.99 etc) I find that VV tends to jack-up their prices on anything that has a "good" name. so you'll see a row of shirts for 3.99, but then two (Brooks Brothers and tommy) for $9.99. Last week i saw a used shirt there (Arrow?) priced at $14.99. Neck ties are $2.99 (Sally Ann's are $0.99... nice!)

It gets much worse in their housewares sections where you'll find lamps running upwards of $29.95. The staff, tough friendly, are not usually very helpful.

I still frequent VV because good thrift menswear is harder to find than womenswear.
    (picked up 2 Denver Hayes 100% Lambswool sweaters for $0.99 each). Yes, I still get the ties. Men's ties to me are like women's shoes to the lady shopaholics out there. They always fit and something cool about finding a designer name.

Being from New Brunswick, Guy's Frenchy's is tops (hands down). (Might make a review of that chain soon)
    Lucky-13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information