User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Young Saver
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Value Village is no ordinary thrift store. As a leader and pioneer in the retail thrift industry we're a place where people from all backgrounds love to shop for great selection, deals, and treasures. And because, truly - there is adventure in the Value Village experience.

Over our 54 year history, shoppers have come to expect fun and surprise with each visit to our stores. We make it easy to find bargains on every aisle and our stores are filled with current looks, authentic vintage finds, housewares, collectibles, furniture and unexpected treasures at every turn. Thousands of items arrive every day through our many nonprofit alliances so no two shopping trips are ever the same. Our incredible inventory includes not only unique, quality used items - but new merchandise as well, including closeouts on great items not found at other thrift stores.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Favourite Location(s): Rogers Road, 605 Rogers Road | Wilson, 1030 Wilson Ave. |Vaughan, 101 Northview Blvd. | Steeles, 1520 Steeles Avenue West

I've been to several thrift shops - Salvation Army, Goodwill, Black Market, etc but none of them are as clean as Value Village! I used to think 'donated goods' were always gross old stuff nobody wanted anymore, but Value Village totally changed that view point of mine quickly!

They carry clothing, bed & bath, housewares/electronics, furniture, books, shoes, etc and the occasional stuff such as: halloween & christmas. I would say it's much like Winners. I'm only 18 and don't have much need for houseware items and go only for shoes/clothing. Most of the items vary greatly from well worn to brand new with tags! I've seen great dining room table sets, sofa sets, great wine glasses etc

As fashion changes quickly these days, so does my taste (I'm sure fashionista's would agree!). I could probably say 60% of my closet is from Value Village! Being a Design student, I REALLY love fashion but just don't have the budge to keep up with everything hehe. Here's a few more higher end priced items I've found:

- Triple 5 Soul Hoodies/Jackets ($5-10/each)
    - Citizens of Humanity, Seven for all Mankind, Guess, AX Jeans ($6-10/pair)
    - Aritzia line of shirts, jackets ($6-15)
    - Designer boots ($7-15)
    - Bebe Winter Jacket ($12)
    - Brand New Kathy van Zeeland purse ($7)

The Roger's Road and Vaughan location are probably the most clean out of all the locations I've visited (and the newest too!).

When to go? Best days are Mon-Fri - that's when they put out new items throughout the day, everything 'left over' (not bought) is for the weekend. I don't think I've seen the same shirt twice, so it's best to grab what you want when you see it! There's a 7-day exchange I think, I just know there's no refunds on anything.

Specials?
    Coupons & Deals: $2.99 for a 2009 Calender filled with $250 in savings + $50 savings for THIS December!
    - 20% off every Tuesday for Seniors!
    - 20% off every Wednesday for Students!

Whew! That was a lot to take in, feel free to leave your opinions on the store or thrifting in general as well. This is just coming from a thrifty university student's P.O.V.

This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Rogers (Plus), Shoppers Drug Mart, Value Village, Winners
    Last edited by tofuu; Wed, Dec 3rd, 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Update on Sales

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I havent actually been thrifting although there is a Salvation army near my house, but I love those seven jeans you found! It makes me actually hop on the bus nad go to the one near me/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

prices have been going up though at VV
    http://swagbucks.com/refer/xKrystalx

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

do the boo bucks work on 50% off days?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Yeah I've noticed their prices going up. Great finds though.

Trading Score
    43 (100%)

The boo bcks don't work on 50% off days.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

VV is great, very hit and miss at mine though. That's OK. I agree with the prices, some of them are getting a little out of hand, there at times I could get the same thing at WalMart brand new! I make sure I LOOOVVVEEE it before I'll pay more than $5 for it, unless it's a great piece of clothing or a coat. I also love the housewares section, I probably buy more from there than the actual clothing.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

I love the book section and the homewares!! I have gotten a few winter coats from there though.... which is alot cheaper than paying retail!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know how VV does it nowadays and never went in to check. But years ago when they first started my friend's brother was a store manager in his area and most of the stuff wasn't new back then ( again I don't know if this has changed since ) anyway the employes receiving the merchandise were not allowed to buy anything except after it had been in the store all day, then at closing time if it had not been sold they could buy them.
    So her brother and other employes would leave the stuff " as is " meaning if it came in a glad bag they would leave that glad bag under clothes racks , but the customers didn't bother to check bags so by the end of the day the employes would grab the loot. He himself would buy a lot of stuff or call up my friend ( his sister ) to tell her they had a fur coat in a bag under a certain rack and a box of Royal Doulton dishware under another rack, etc... all types of goodies the customers never got to see.

I don't know if this practice still goes on today, but you might want to check under the racks or a box left in a corner.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I love VV Boutique! (lol, mum calls it that to make it sound ritzy). My best find was a beautiful sweater from Buddhist Punk. The price tag was 29.99, a lot for a sweater there, but I loved it and I was going to get it anyways. It was 50% off day, so it was only 15 bucks. BUt the clencher was it was brand new with the original tag still on it. It was 98 british pounds which translates to about 184 bucks canadian! What a freaken steal!!!!!
    Remember that even though pets are here for such a short time they teach us things we would never be able to learn in many lifetimes on our own.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

VV is a great store but like everywhere else you shop, it's buyer beware, check your prices

thank you for post
    Just browsing why not join us, we would love to have you:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/index.php?referrerid=27681
    kopykatzz

Young Saver
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Glad people posted their opinions on it! :D. I wanted to add another tip for shoppers:

You should always ask if you can get any additional discount on an item your buying (usually 1-2, don't get greedy) because there's a "stain/tear/rip/fuzzing/chip/etc" and if you ask nicely enough, they'll lower it anywhere from $1-3! It always works for me.
    I got a $24.99 jacket down to $14.99 because I had bought one for $14.99 that looked exactly like the $24.99 one and asked if they could make it the same price since it was the same thing and the quality was not far from one another. The manager on duty looked it for a bit then marked it down *thumbs up*

I once saw a photo frame for $19.99 @ the Vaughan location and asked why it was soo expensive if it was donated goods because I didn't see anything special about it, one of the managers looked it and questioned the same thing and marked it down to $7.99!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Value Village used to be really really amazing...

but ever since wal-mart took over the chain, I havent been very happy with it... the prices are goin up and so much more chaos in the store, they seem to stock alot now and everything gets soo so messy.... i dunno, i remember the older days of value village, it used to be my favourite for thrifting, now it just doesnt seem right.

in the Ghetto of Richmond...apparently :rolleyes:
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

VV is too expensive for a second hand store I've found new things cheaper or the same price on sale at sears and walmart. INteresting I never knew walmart took over vv.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

VW is great if you're looking to expand your board game collection. I've bought so many games there, and they're always complete, no missing pieces. The boxes and boards are still intact.

The highest price I've seen is the Scene-It Disney dvd game for $7.99, most are $3.99 and could go as low as $1.99.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information