User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Rewards Thread with Aeroplan, airmiles, credit card offers etc.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I was an airmiles consumer for 5 years and only three months ago I learned how to use airmiles to accumulate reward points effectively. I was wondering if we could post tips on reward offers so that we can all live a little bit better? If anyone has any tips...tip away.

The biggest one I used was opening and later closing airmiles credit cards. I actually got 900 airmiles just by doing that. Does anyone else have any?
    This thread is currently associated with: Aeroplan, Air Miles
    walkonby and candogrl like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

OP I usually do very well with Bonus Points and double dipping with the Air Miles rewards, not to offend you but for me opening and closing accounts seems dishonest, but maybe it is ok. if they did not question you about it.
    I hope you do not mind if I hijack your thread to mention a recent rewards Amex gave me.
    I was not mailed any letter or emailed any notice but today when I logged into my Air Miles account I noticed my balance was up considerably. Then I see that on Dec 27th a deposit of 1,150 Air Miles was given to me by Amex under the description " special reward " .
    That translates to a whopping $120.00 in FREE GROCERIES everyone!!
    If anyone knows anything about this special AM reward post soon because it has me pleasantly baffled! lol

I am happy dancing now....

OP when I calm down I will post further about tips to boost your AM rewards as I think of them...my brain is mush right now.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Got that one as well. I think there was a promo where you got 750 airmiles if you spent over $xxx amount in November. I can't really remember how much but it was over $750.

I'm not complaining.
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

i try to get bonus items thruout the year -like the other day ran in to get buns and saw buy 2 shreddies cereal for 4.00 each get 15 airmiles -so i grabbed them
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I do airmiles surveys to get free miles here and there, the 'airmiles opinions' that you can sign up for, the ontario health survey, the power pledge, etc.

I use the extra airmiles offers for Shell cos I need gas anyway, those '10AM if you spend x on gas coupons times 4 +10AM if you use all 4' type deals but I noticed that they are not always rewarding those AM reliably.

I wouldn't buy an item to get the extra miles if I'm already stocked up on it and/or it's even 1 dollar more than elsewhere.

Used to be into AM before, but now, after they devalued the points again, I would not spend a cent above and beyond what I normally would have, just to get those airmiles.

Also, I noticed that smaller merchants hate to see the airmiles credit cards - and I don't blame them: they have to pay higher processing fees..those rewards have to come from somewhere..
    Last edited by tobiwobi; Fri, Dec 28th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Great thread! I've been with Airmiles forever! But, like you, I haven't really gotten the hang of how to get points effectively. I didn't even notice that they have 2 ways of redeeming now, and I wish I'd known before. I had 900 and some points all deposited in the "dream" rewards, and I noticed that they've cut down on gift card options I would've much rather liked to use those points towards groceries.

Keep the tips coming!
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

I find now that since Toys R Us and The Children's Place offer reward miles it is super handy as well! I will miss all of my HBC rewards being transferred to Airmiles once Zellers is gone!
    walkonby likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well I lucked out this year as I had to replace my clothing washer during airmiles 10X point event. So I ended up with a fair amount of points from a purchase I had to make. I also had been wanting to order money sense magazine for a while. I always found it expensive. Airmiles had a special a few weeks ago where the subscription for the year was only 75 airmiles. Its a little more now but I am pretty excited for my first edition.

The thing with the credit cards, is I do use the cards and try them out. Typically you have to keep the card open for 6 months or so. Generally the first year the card is free, afterwards you get charged an annual fee for most of the interesting cards. So I evaluate, if it is worth it. I close the account when they start charging a fee, if it is not worth-while to me. I end up closing any credit card accounts I don't use. I think they anticipate it when they make the offer. The banks aren't suffering financially. I've stuck with my MBNA futura rewards card as my go to card for a while, to try to get money for an RRSP. I am reconsidering it because in the end I don't spend enough to ever get 1% of my purchases.

The other cool thing I found for dual US/Canadian citizens...is the Citi thank you points card. I am planning on opening one when I know what I am going to do for vacation this year. You get enough points for a north american flight if you spend 3,000 dollars within the first three month you open the card, with the plan I want to get. I normally spend about 500 a month on credit cards so I have to open it stragetically. I do actually want an American credit card and banking account but I had closed all mine due to all the fees I was getting because I don't earn US dollars anymore. Citi has good travel insurance included with the card (luggage and everything) and no conversion fees for international travel. The card is not available to non-US citizens but I'm dual...and I looked up the points and honestly its more interesting than the points for airmiles as the points are earned faster and they go further. I will let you know how it goes once I order my card.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My airmiles come mostly from Sobeys, AirMiles Shops and BMO. I am not sure how good for your credit opening and closing multiple credit cards would be... Might make you look a little "flaky" and as a perpetual credit seeker. I don't earn like those out west do with Safeway, but I make at least $200 in GCs over the course of the year (I don't spend very much for two of us). Just watch the promotions and coupons that they send out.
    walkonby likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would be very cautious about getting new credit cards and closing them as that will affect your credit rating score, I hear.
    walkonby, rngirl87 and kmiecp like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsteph View Post
    I would be very cautious about getting new credit cards and closing them as that will affect your credit rating score, I hear.
    exactly. each time you are given a credit card it will appear on your credit report for about 7 years (maybe 5). This includes department store cards too. This will hurt your credit, so be careful!
    kidsteph and walkonby like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

and my tip would be to stock up when items have "bonus miles" promos! watch the flyers for a couple months and get to know the items that are frequently "bonus" items- then only buy those things when they have extra points. For example, if you buy cereal every week and every 8th week you get 20 bonus miles- if you stocked up when it was 20 bonus and bought 8 weeks worth, you'd get 160 miles, for something you'd buy anyway.
    coupon girl and walkonby like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am a fan of aeroplan even though i know it is not the best travel rewards program. It took me under 3 years to earn the points for 4 tickets to Australia/Maui last Christmas. I feel sorry for the merchants though since I put everything on visa.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kidsteph View Post
    I am a fan of aeroplan even though i know it is not the best travel rewards program. It took me under 3 years to earn the points for 4 tickets to Australia/Maui last Christmas. I feel sorry for the merchants though since I put everything on visa.
    Great! How did you do it? Which credit card? What programs? Would love to do this with the family!
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I agree if you want to be effective, you have to put EVERYTHING on your credit card and don't ever feel bad for doing so... but also make sure you always pay off your credit cards and it's not an excuse to get stuff you don't need.

If you are wanting to do the Aeroplan for example, then shop at Sobeys, get the CIBC aeroplan card, and make sure you book Air Canada or their partners when flying and staying in hotels. Check out the site often for other promos

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information