User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: VOIP - Home Phone Deals (Under $10 pr/mnth!)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I've been using magicjack for a few years and it meets my needs. We call us/Canada and I like getting emails of voicemails. I also use the app for free calling and can login with the magicjack number if we choose....even on two devices! Even had to make a 911 call once and MagicJack had already verified our location. We paid 50 bucks for tHe device at best buy and then 10 bucks for a Canadian number, and then after the first year just an annual fee of...I think...60 bucks each year. They even have a brand new device that plugs directly into the wall
    Last edited by r0c0upons; Tue, Mar 19th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You may have some regulatory imposed taxes - but other than that - I think that is that with VOIP costs. For North America the plan we choose is all included, land-lines and mobiles. Plus we get 60-minutes of free international calls. Those are mainly to landline but there are some European countries that are also included in those free minutes.

As other said that's the beauty of Voice Over IP, one of the rare occasions you get more for le$$

Found an introduction or overview however you want to call it here: http://www.gonevoip.ca/resources/voi...ential-market/ (I had no idea VOIP has been out there for that long!)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Use google talk it's free.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Number porting completed - and btw that was done for free, yeah!

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Karamelo View Post
    Good! Phone Power is porting our number for free too - funny thing is we got a call from Bell today afternoon I guess confirming/asking if we were switching/porting our number... they tried to offer a home phone deal but cannot get even close to what we are getting. Just for the fun of it I started going over the features we'll get and the monthly price... the lady said I'm sorry we cannot match that
    Lol, good for you. How much are you paying with taxes for phone power? If you mind me asking.
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

That is a terrific price. Thanks
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

These are pretty good, I had few years ago used Vonage - b/c my work at the time had given a home line to each employee that telecommuted (at least twice a week). But Vonage wasn't that great, voice quality was poor and internet speeds back then are not what they are now! (I think the top was 6Mb or 10Mb!) Good to see how far this has got and that we got many (seemingly) good options to chose from.. Over the past 3-years been on wireless, which has been an OK experience (well don't ever lose your mobile!) but since we switched to exclusively smartphones last year we quickly realized these aren't good for long distance talking (talking in general, but long distance calls tend to be longer)... I'll look these VOIP providers to see if we get a home phone, I know my fiance will like the idea as she's been screaming to get the good old home phone back..

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Folks, just to let you know we've been following up the visits we've got from smartcanucks, thus with help/note from Leonidas we'll get our selves into the discussions - please ask away any questions! (may be this is not the right forum thread (I'll setup another one, but do PM'me) We'll update from time to time this one as we get more exclusive deals.

Our homepage features now a smartcanucks logo, as it is the smart thing to do - go voip!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just so you know we have renewed the $15 off deal with Talkit (now coupon code gonevoip expires on April 15th)

http://www.gonevoip.ca/talkit-exclus...scount-coupon/

Enjoy!
    Last edited by AlexVOIP; Mon, Mar 25th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Before you all ditch your landlines for VOIP phones you should be aware that there are some inherent issues with these services if you're ever in an emergency situation and have to call 911.

When you call from your regular landline phone the 911 operator has access to your contact information (number, address, related emergency service providers (police, ems, fire, etc)) so that if you're unable to talk, or your connection is lost they can still find you/help you. With VOIP phones they do not. If an address does pop up on their screen it is not necessarily your address and, in some cases, not even the correct province (say your service is registered in one province but you're using it in another).

I agree that traditional landlines are greatly overpriced but a VOIP solution is not as perfect a solution as some make it out to be.
    I earned over $150 in free gift cards last year. Click HERE if you want to earn your free gift cards too! All the cool couponers are doing it

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very true freddybeach - nothing is perfect isn't it?

For more Emergency Calling info: http://www.gonevoip.ca/differences-b...-enhanced-911/

Did you know if you use a home phone from a cable operator you are very likely to have a IP solution anyway?
    Just that is known as Fixed VOIP. Though is 3 or 4 times more expensive?
    Technology and VOIP has progressed quite a lot, granted may not be for everyone; but is an option to consider - which from where we see it, is a global trend. Landlines are migrating to either wireless or VOIP. Interestingly IF going wireless, the new technology is VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) or the VOIP implementation for Wireless.

Cheers
    leonidas likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It may be a global trend but this line from your link:

" With VoIP phone service, your 911 call is forwarded to a third-party service provider which will automatically or manually route the call to the emergency response center. Since the nomadic nature of VoIP (is possible for one to move the VoIP phone between locations) and IF the registration was not properly updated in the account, the emergency operator may not have the actual real location or valid contact information available;"

can mean the difference between your life or death. If I'm having a heart attack I'd rather know that may call is going to the right 911 centre instead of "may" be going to the right 911 centre. To me that's worth the few extra dollars at the end of the month.
    SFARAZ likes this.
    I earned over $150 in free gift cards last year. Click HERE if you want to earn your free gift cards too! All the cool couponers are doing it

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

since the mishap with the little boy a few years back, the voip providors are much more careful with 911 calls.

they tell you straight up to make sure your info is up to date. call 911, and they will confirm the location with you, and then stay on with you while they connect you to your local 911.

i pay like $40 a year for my home phone. i have used 911 once with my voip over the past few years. i did not feel like i had substandard service.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    call 911, and they will confirm the location with you, and then stay on with you while they connect you to your local 911.
    ..which is OK if you're able to speak and know where you are. Unfortunately not all callers know where they are, or are able to answer the operator's questions.
    anisa likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by freddybeach View Post
    It may be a global trend but this line from your link:

" With VoIP phone service, your 911 call is forwarded to a third-party service provider which will automatically or manually route the call to the emergency response center. Since the nomadic nature of VoIP (is possible for one to move the VoIP phone between locations) and IF the registration was not properly updated in the account, the emergency operator may not have the actual real location or valid contact information available;"

can mean the difference between your life or death. If I'm having a heart attack I'd rather know that may call is going to the right 911 centre instead of "may" be going to the right 911 centre. To me that's worth the few extra dollars at the end of the month.
    As mentioned earlier, this may not be for everyone and clearly you are not comfortable. Which is perfectly fine. The good think is to keep the discussion informational and I certainly appreciate your point of view.

Did you know in June of 2007 the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) mandated all VoIP service providers to make 911 services available to their fixed/non-native and nomadic VoIP subscribers. VoIP service providers connect the IP realm and the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN), allowing subscribers to benefit from increased efficiency by routing calls over the Internet.The CRTC decision obliges VoIP service providers to deliver all 911 calls to the appropriate Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) using the zero-dialed emergency call routing service (0-ECRS), rather than PSAP low-priority lines. Adherence to this decision is mandatory for all VoIP service providers offering services in Canada, and is designed to protect the safety of VoIP users who expect that when they dial 911, they will quickly be connected to qualified emergency responders. It's known the CRTC to follow through those VOIP Providers that do not comply with the decision; ultimately some Providers have been forced out of business.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information