User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Pretending to be disabled for a free bus ride

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

How many times did they have to ride the bus for free just to pay for the cane? People are so weird sometimes.

They need to go to a seniors/disability bus pass system. Where you buy a reduced rate pass with the special ID card (like most major cities do). If they want to offer free rides to those with mobility issues then they can get a special ID with a doc's note. Then they can pick them up wherever you buy your regular pass.
    oscarandme likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

a cane can be cheap depending on which store they bought it from.
    some people will do anything to save. "a penny saved is a penny saved."
    this is nothing compared to what gary thompson, the kentucky panhandler did -- pretending to be physically and mentally disabled, or in his own words:"it helps to be mentally handicapped."
    oscarandme likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Just checked and Canadian Tire has them for $24.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en so, waaay cheaper than a bus pass.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

go to a dollar store, i've seen $5 canes. cheaply made, but still is a cane.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Insane, they do have a cheap seniors pass

An adult pass is $87 per month, $2.55 cash per ride or $2 if you have a ticket or presto card
    A Senior (65+) pays $20.50 per month if they pay monthly, $17 if they pay annually or can get a seniors presto and pay $1.65 a ride
    A Golden Age (80+) pass is free, you just need to pay $3 for the ID card and renews for free annually with the same ID card

Presto cards turn into monthly passes if you take enough rides

We also have a DARTS system which will pick up people on demand if they are disabled and have a docs note saying so and take them to the door of where they are going.

It should also be noted that this was not a city decision, they were informed that allowing free rides for disabled people goes against the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act which states that disabled people must be treated equally including fare parity - it just was not as big an issue in surrounding cities as they do not have as many people scamming.

At one point there was a store downtown that had canes for "ONLY $12.99 and ride free bus" signs
    Last edited by FallenPixels; Sun, Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

buses and subways in beijing are free to the elderly and disabled. last i heard, taxi rides are free to those special folks too.
    once this catches on, some canadian residents will argue that canadian transportation system should offer them the same benefits.
    oscarandme likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:50 AM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

That's Hamilton for you. There are so many people here who would be far better off if they put the time and effort into doing honest work that they put into trying to scam every system. Unfortunately, the City of Hamilton doesn't do enough to curb their behavior and once they make a change to a program, the scammers just find another loophole.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giddymonkey View Post
    That's Hamilton for you. There are so many people here who would be far better off if they put the time and effort into doing honest work that they put into trying to scam every system. Unfortunately, the City of Hamilton doesn't do enough to curb their behavior and once they make a change to a program, the scammers just find another loophole.
    I have noticed a few people with walkers and then I saw a few of them get on the bus, then lift them up and walk to the back on the bus. Then they get off the back using the back doors and they fold it and don't use it. Since it was the 10 to Hamilton it was busy so the driver never saw. I bet there will be a sale somewhere near Jackson Square for walkers.
    Last edited by anastasia1009; Sun, Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
    oscarandme likes this.

Smart Canuck couponclippercaitie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    171 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    I have noticed a few people with walkers and then I saw a few of them get on the bus, then lift them up and walk to the back on the bus. Then they get off the back using the back doors and they fold it and don't use it. Since it was the 10 to Hamilton it was busy so the driver never saw. I bet there will be a sale somewhere near Jackson Square for walkers.
    I agree some people may be abusing this with walkers, BUT just because you can walk the lenght of a bus without your walker, doesn't mean you don't need one. I work with adults with special needs and many of my clients use walkers. However, the room we work in is very small so they leave their walker in the hall and can still walk around the room pretty well. Many people use simply need them for a little extra stability/security, or some people need them because their muscles get tired/weak if they walk long distances. I also have another client who takes mini seizures and he needs it to stabilize himself incase that happens.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    171 (100%)

And a walker costs A LOT more than a cane. A cheap walker costs upwords of $150, and most quality walkers are more in the $500 range. Not to mention the hassle of having to lug it around or carry it across the bus (as in this particular person's case)...
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I had heard stories from a bus driver that knew of a couple that took turns being in the wheelchair or acting as the support person to the spouse in wheelchair and both would board and not pay.

I recall about 3 years ago being on the Delaware bus going through McMaster U into Westdale and how 3-4 people with rollators with attached baskets had boarded and were seated at the front of the bus. And they did not all lock the wheels nor ensure the tiny space in the aisle would not take out another passengers' ankles (from the wheel assemblies) while moving past them.

My pet peeve is when someone with a large stroller boards an articulated bus and basically blocks the aisle where it narrows by the first exit to the higher seats. I don't think jogging strollers with the large wheels should be permitted on buses either. Monster strollers...

Hamilton has a really good variety of routes--it's just that sometimes the buses don't have room for passengers or the garbage (litter, bad attitudes) make the bus trips very hard to handle. I rejoice when I get an older bus with the vinyl seats>padding! The new buses' seats are some kind of punishment for taking transit.
    tjthemanto likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponclippercaitie View Post
    And a walker costs A LOT more than a cane. A cheap walker costs upwords of $150, and most quality walkers are more in the $500 range. Not to mention the hassle of having to lug it around or carry it across the bus (as in this particular person's case)...
    That is why walkers are still included currently, but it is only temporary - they are working on a fare system that is fair to everyone and follows the law. The two tier system came in when Hamilton only had a few accessible buses, so they paid less due to the inconvenience of maybe waiting 3-4 buses before an accessible one came along. Now 99% of buses are or will be accessible so they do not have an excuse for the two tier system, and it creates inequalities that are legally unfair.

Many people in wheelchairs/walkers do work, why should they ride free? If they do not work, they are entitled to the low income pass like others, those who are over 65 (the majority of the legit walker users) can get the seniors pass
    lecale and anastasia1009 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I rejoice when I get an older bus with the vinyl seats>padding! The new buses' seats are some kind of punishment for taking transit.
    Try taking one of those older buses on the #4 route, the padding cannot make up for the older shocks, you get thrown around on the terrible roads
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    171 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    That is why walkers are still included currently, but it is only temporary - they are working on a fare system that is fair to everyone and follows the law. The two tier system came in when Hamilton only had a few accessible buses, so they paid less due to the inconvenience of maybe waiting 3-4 buses before an accessible one came along. Now 99% of buses are or will be accessible so they do not have an excuse for the two tier system, and it creates inequalities that are legally unfair.

Many people in wheelchairs/walkers do work, why should they ride free? If they do not work, they are entitled to the low income pass like others, those who are over 65 (the majority of the legit walker users) can get the seniors pass
    I agree. I think Hamilton should run the system like we do here in NB. EVERYONE either pays or shows a bus pass, BUT if you're on low income or disability, etc. your social worker gives you a free bus pass every month. This way it's regulated to make sure everyone getting a free bus ride actually NEEDS a free bus ride.

I will point out the only issue with this system is that I have run into a few issues personally with one of my clients selling his bus pas for cigarette money.
    Insane and lecale like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information