• 5 Post By luckbealady
  • 1 Post By redfox
  • 1 Post By luckbealady
  • 2 Post By takasuite

Thread: Tablets

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I was wondering if anyone has seen Tablets at Shoppers. If so, approximately how much are they and what brands? I'm debating using a redemption on buying a tablet for my son for Christmas. I live an hour away from a Shoppers so I can't just pop in to check it out so I was hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I saw a Kindle Fire (7 Inch screen) at my SDM for $199, not sure the storage size. I don't use tablets but I think it has good reviews.

I earned $50 in Amazon Gift Cards in my first month at Swagbucks!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Scarecrow7

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I redeemed to pick up an Acer Iconia B1, 7" tablet for my son at Shopper's week before last. They were $119.99 sale price, and during redemption weekend, looks like they are $99.99. We opened his up to set it up and test it out, and it seems like a pretty great tablet for a kid. It is only 8GB, but has a slot for an SD card.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Acer Iconia B1 - from the reviews the camera isn't very good. 8GB but expandable up to 32GB with a MicroSD card
    I got this one for my dad for Christmas - he'll just use it to surf the web, and maybe watch TV/movies with it. He doesn't play games.
    Has Android Jelly Bean 4.1 - no updates after that, so if keeping an up to date OS is important to you, this is not the way to go.
    Price range from $99.99 - $149.99 (you can usually get it from $119.99 - $139.99)

Asus Nexus 7 - 32GB
    This is the one I have. I bought it last year during after Christmas redemption - it was selling at $269.99. It's been on sale this year for $239.99.
    This is like an official Android tablet - 32GB (not expandable), and mine just updated to Android KitKat (the most recent OS). I find sound for movies is kind of quiet - I wear headphones when I watch movies because I find the loudest volume level, while good for youtube/music, isn't loud enough for my movies.
    I play games, surf the web, read books, watch movies/TV, and listen to music on it.

They used to have a tablet by Craig - I would NOT get that one if they still have it. It was cheaper, but the reviews were terrible, and Shoppers has a no return policy on SDM (some stores allow returns, but don't count on it).

For eReaders I've seen Kindle, Kobo, and Sony.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post

Asus Nexus 7 - 32GB
    This is the one I have. I bought it last year during after Christmas redemption - it was selling at $269.99. It's been on sale this year for $239.99.
    This is like an official Android tablet - 32GB (not expandable), and mine just updated to Android KitKat (the most recent OS). I find sound for movies is kind of quiet - I wear headphones when I watch movies because I find the loudest volume level, while good for youtube/music, isn't loud enough for my movies.
    I play games, surf the web, read books, watch movies/TV, and listen to music on it.

Is the Nexus 7 the First Generation version or the latest generation one (2013)?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jsmile View Post
    Is the Nexus 7 the First Generation version or the latest generation one (2013)?
    I imagine it would be the first generation - you'd have to check to make sure.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

after the electronics sale last weekend alot of shoppers are sold out ,,to save time why not call first to check,,
    luckbealady likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thank you everyone for the great information!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Acer Iconia B1 - from the reviews the camera isn't very good. 8GB but expandable up to 32GB with a MicroSD card
    I got this one for my dad for Christmas - he'll just use it to surf the web, and maybe watch TV/movies with it. He doesn't play games.
    Has Android Jelly Bean 4.1 - no updates after that, so if keeping an up to date OS is important to you, this is not the way to go.
    Price range from $99.99 - $149.99 (you can usually get it from $119.99 - $139.99)
    Agree on the camera. The one I bought was for my eight year old, so a good camera is not a priority for him. The reviews on the camera are terrible, and the sample photos I have seen are pretty blurry and poor quality. The sound on the Acer Iconia is great though, it seems to be very responsive, pretty quick. Very quick to download apps. I don't know much about the OS issue, or what it impacts being not he most current... can you expand on what that means for the tablet and its capabilities/apps for the uninitiated?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bdkmosher View Post
    Agree on the camera. The one I bought was for my eight year old, so a good camera is not a priority for him. The reviews on the camera are terrible, and the sample photos I have seen are pretty blurry and poor quality. The sound on the Acer Iconia is great though, it seems to be very responsive, pretty quick. Very quick to download apps. I don't know much about the OS issue, or what it impacts being not he most current... can you expand on what that means for the tablet and its capabilities/apps for the uninitiated?
    Honestly, I don't think having an older OS is a big deal. The only major differences I have seen between the Acer and Nexus (with KitKat), is the keyboard. There are probably add-ons that I just never use, which is why I can't see much of a change.
    bdkmosher likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Yeh in new version they also add rear camera, the one I have has only front camera. If SDM has the new version I will try to get that.

I imagine it would be the first generation - you'd have to check to make sure.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Acer 10" 16gb quad core is on my list. Any reviews of this??

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lyds911 View Post
    Not from me. Saw it today in my local store for $299.99 - missed the model information though, so I can't even look up reviews for you.
    What you might want to do is check out the various 10" models on amazon.com for Acer tablets. I find it tends to have a lot of customer reviews for products.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lyds911 View Post
    That is Acer tablet A210 ( 2012 ) model.
    Tbites and luckbealady like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by takasuite View Post
    That is Acer tablet A210 ( 2012 ) model.
    Got this tablet. For the deal and promo paid less than $60 to take home..little heavy but love the big screen. Will work perfect for vacations

Thread Information