• 2 Post By shellylynn39
  • 2 Post By simplybea
  • 2 Post By online
  • 1 Post By addismom

Thread: Personal Non-Coupon Brag

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is a personal 2 years in the making brag....

2 years ago last September I went to college (at 47!) for a 2 year course. I was the oldest by far in a Computer Programming.

In this 2 years I had a LOT of ups and downs. Many ups consisted of grades. My downs were mostly financial, or time constraints. I spent half the time doing full-time school....full-time work ...and always single Mom to a teenage daughter.

I completely lost financial ground at the beginning of the second year, filed for bankruptcy in January, was discharged in November.

Well I graduated in May. I applied for and was successful in getting a job in Saint John NB in September. Left my daughter here (in PEI) with a roommate. The roomie decided being out on her own was not for her, and went back home. I managed to pay for both places for 2 months (GULP!), and am now back in PEI with the job from NB!

Remote working from home is awesome!

Now the bragging part:

This is not much, but to me it is significant!

With the PCPlus points yesterday I was able to buy and donate 12 cans of soup to the foodbank!
    (I have been on the receiving end of much goodwill in the last year, so to be able to contribute, even in a very tiny way felt like such a turning point!)

I will climb up again and pay back what was done for me!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    MeMew, Colsgirl, super_e and 21 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

you should be very proud of what you have achieved and what a great lesson for your daughter...never give up hope.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

its always not too late for education and career change. I m also thinking of going back to collage after my daughter starts JK in two years. My hotel management cert isn't helping me land a good job right now, so I definitely see the need of a career change. I m 27 now, in two years I will be 29! I will mostly by be the oldest in class if not second oldest. planning to take on the field of Dental hygienist.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I think there are three brags in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by simplybea View Post
    2 years ago last September I went to college (at 47!) for a 2 year course. I was the oldest by far in a Computer Programming.
    Brag#1 - finishing school despite large personal stress.

In this 2 years I had a LOT of ups and downs. Many ups consisted of grades. My downs were mostly financial, or time constraints. I spent half the time doing full-time school....full-time work ...and always single Mom to a teenage daughter.
    Brag#2 - working full time PLUS going to school full time

Brag #3 - paying back and helping others in need.

With the PCPlus points yesterday I was able to buy and donate 12 cans of soup to the food bank!
    (I have been on the receiving end of much goodwill in the last year, so to be able to contribute, even in a very tiny way felt like such a turning point!)
    Luv reading triple brags.
    Congrats to you!
    WTG.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Dec 22nd, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So wonderful on so many level!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

amazing! good for you! *raises a glass*
    Crochetlady and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    240 (100%)

WTG!! You have much to be proud of

Trading Score
    97 (100%)

Simply amazing! Congrats!
    Crochetlady likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Congratulations, that is wonderful. Your brag is very inspirational. I started school this past September at the age of 51. Seems, I finally decided what I want to be when I grow up. I am taking a Community Service Worker course. My goal is to help people going through separation to transition to their new normal. Hoping to help them decide on things together, without making the lawyers richer, and richer. (first hand knowledge of how this happens) I am not finished until June 2014, and could totally change my mind as to what I want to do..........but, I know one thing...........I want to help people in one capacity or another. This saving site, has helped me in so many ways. I don't think I could have afforded to go to school, had it not been for all of the money I have saved in the past few years. Yesterday, I was out and bought 20 cans of soup to give to the food bank.......... it sure is a great feeling to pay it forward.
    Earn $50 a month with swagbucks

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/shellylynn31

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I feel like this is the beginning of the second half of my life! First half is lived and lessons carried forward, now it's time to write the second half.

I have spent a reasonable amount of time in the last ten years trying to decide what I wanted my life to mean. I want to leave, everyone and everything, I come in contact with, in a better place than where I found them!

I have much work to do in this last half a century!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings everyone. May your days be filled with peace, happiness, contentment, and purpose!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

You are an Inspiration for everyone! Keep it up! All the best for 2014!!!

addismom
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Best Brag I have read in a long time! Congratulations it is all great! It always amazes me what us single Mothers can accomplish! Hopefully you can inspire others to go back to school when a bit older! Your dedication, struggles, and accomplishments over the past two years is something that I hope can inspire others. I really hope some other single parent's who are already feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and feeling stuck can realize they can do anything and change anything if they really want. It would be great if you were able to speak or write an article about your experiences and somehow get it out and be heard. I know I don't personally know you, but I am very proud of you!!
    Crochetlady likes this.

Thread Information