User Tag List

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ways to save money

KristinKat
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

1 more thing... check out www.kijiji.ca Has way more postings than Craigs list for Canada. I have bought and sold tons of my baby stuff on there! It's awesome... expect to pay 50% of new price and sell for 50% or less than new price. People who try to sell for more than 50% of what they paid look really silly on there!

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

-Find people selling discounted gift cards for stores you are thinking of making big purchases from!
    -EBAY!
    -Smart Canucks CASHBACK!!!
    -Coupons, Coupons and more Coupons! (Wait for the items to go on sale too! for even more savings)
    Approximate Contest Win totals:
    2009 - $7153
    2010 - $22,758
    2011 - $36,987
    2012 - $12,553.93 and counting

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I save money on the Want and Need theory, I use coupons and I enjoy the
    fun of going to thrift stores. I have picked up some really good items, like
    a Northern Reflection winter jacket from Bibles for Mission. It cost $1.00 and had
    all the tickets on it. It was brand new, what a great find.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cenyasmom View Post
    I save money on the Want and Need theory, I use coupons and I enjoy the
    fun of going to thrift stores. I have picked up some really good items, like
    a Northern Reflection winter jacket from Bibles for Mission. It cost $1.00 and had
    all the tickets on it. It was brand new, what a great find.
    What a find for you!

We have a Bibles for Missions here in the Shwa too!

Have picked up many good buys there!
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by blistex View Post
    yah PC is the wayy to go unless your TD bank can offer you something else!

i've never heard of pc? I use scotia, i rarely use debit though so i don't have to worry about the fees.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

-stay at home and don't shop. only for necessary items.
    -pay off your credit cards (I can't afford to at the moment, but I really should, this costs you a lot in the end)

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    -stay at home and don't shop. only for necessary items.
    -pay off your credit cards (I can't afford to at the moment, but I really should, this costs you a lot in the end)
    Good advice!

If one is in a bind,inquire from your Financial Instituion if they have a low interest credit card rather than the higher interest fee one(which most people have).

It costs so much per year($25/$35 but its based upon prime and a few percentage points).

Never keep Department Store Credit card debt!

The rates are scandalous!
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kdoucette View Post
    Garage sales
    and Salvation Army.

Salvation Army is awesome - you never know what you will find.
    I LOVE shopping at salvation army!! I picked up scrabble for only $1.99!!! and many many books.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blistex View Post
    another terrific idea is the next time you go to fast food places for a meal....try to grab extra napkins, condiments etc..

can always use this stuff at home! especially the sugar, salt and pepper!
    I do this too!!!!

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Good advice!

If one is in a bind,inquire from your Financial Instituion if they have a low interest credit card rather than the higher interest fee one(which most people have).

It costs so much per year($25/$35 but its based upon prime and a few percentage points).

Never keep Department Store Credit card debt!

The rates are scandalous!
    I tried getting a lower interest rate with my credit card, but I don't qualify, I don't make enough money to get a lower interest rate, funny ain't it? I can't afford my credit card because I don't make enough money.

2teenagers
    Trading Score
    11 (92%)

Taped a photo album sheet on the inside of the medicine cabinet. Leave our pharmacy coupons there. When we check to see if we have a certain something... it reminds us to use the coupon if it has to be bought.

I think this old one is what got me thinkin... entertainment / restaurants in the car glovebox... keep em coming...

If you want to try a new type of coupon tradin PLUS trainin in Canada.... check this out...

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/62211-c...groups-canada/

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Some ways to save:

1. If you usually do most own your banking online/phone, than open a President's Choice (PC) chequing and savings account. Also apply for the PC Mastercard. If you shop mostly at Loblaws, RCSS, No Frills and other Loblaws related stores with your PC Debt or MC you will earn points towards free groceries & products in those stores. Plus you earn PC points with PC Mastercard on purchases made anywhere. 20,000 points = $20.00. Also if you use your own re-usable bags & pay with PC debt or credit card you earn 50 pts for each bag! Excellent way to earn free groceries.

2. Shop at Value Village, Good Will and Salvation Army. This is a great way to shop as the money they money goes to local charities. Not mention they are great places to find baby/kids clothes & shoes. You can find barely used/new items for mere dollars (I bought my daughter a Gymberee coat for $2.00 in excellent condition, this coat cost no less $100 in-store...Gymberee prices are OUTRAGEOUS!).

3. Wrap your water heater and any exposed hot water piped in your basement. Home Depot sell the pipe insulating foam wraps & water heat blankets--just need to measure the diameter.

4. If you have exposed duct work in basement or if your home is currently being built and you have the time tape all the duct joints with special duct tape (it is silver metal duct sold for about $10.00 a roll, but well worth it as it keeps the heat in the ducts from escaping.

5. Wash all clothing in cold water, and no you don't need to buy special "cold water" detergent, whatever your preferred brand is will do!

6. If you are a Rogers customer you can go onto their website and get mag subscriptions for as little as $1 a month added onto your bill. Better yet go to your local library and borrow them for free!

7. See if you grocery store has a free cookie club for the little ones. I know that Loblaws/RCSS will give your little ones 1 free cookie each visit. It's a nice treat for them and who knows they might even share a bit with you

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My boyfriend and myself allow ourselves a fixed budget every week.

Any unused money from the budget can be used towards anything we want (dining out, clothing, etc)

Also, I usually make dinner based on what is on sale at the supermarket, and not on what I feel like eating. Also DO NOT DO YOUR GROCERIES ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. You will end up buying lots of junk !!

And I like to go to Shopper's Drugmart on Sundays, when they have their deals I pack my cupboard with whatever has a great deal... 1.99$ cereal boxes, 3.99$ toilet paper, 80cents toothpaste... the list goes on :D

One last tip, for the girls: before you buy a new piece of expensive clothe. Sleep on the it first. Come back the next day, if you do not need it, you probably won't feel the urge of buying it anymore

K. Harper «If an idea's worth having once, it's worth having twice.»
    __________________________________________________ ________
    clinical trials

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Usually you can find non Christmas Packaged Candy at 50% off or more.
    And/or other clearance items that can be saved until the day.

We do this every year and it works out fine.
    same idea!

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Not sure if the following things were mentioned but...

-We use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets.
    -I buy all of my daughters clothing at high end used baby stores I pay 1/10 the reg price.
    -We go to auctions. Once we got 800 sq/ft of high end slate for .11 cents a tile (sq/ft).
    -Swap parties (women bring their accessories and clothing)
    -If you can't afford to put your child into a sport or other expensive activity see if they would like to be a cadet....it is free in Canada and your child will be introduced to new friends, skills training, National and International Travel, sailing, flying and the list goes on and on.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information