User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Roomba....worth it?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I've been considering it too. But I'm afraid it'll suck up all the kids legos and junk on the floors too.
    DH goes through the basket when it's time to empty it. We've had a few Legos in there
    Now we tell DS to tidy up otherwise Neato will eat his Legos. He treats Neato as a robot friend lol.
    Never had a Lego in it since. Well rarely there'll be 1 or 2 every month but DH likes to check the basket anyway.

I'm more concerned now with a crawling baby lol. I picture DS2 crawling after Neato and mounting on it...

I'm going to cut a minion maid cardboard and stick it on Neato

Last edited by Jina; Mon, Jan 5th, 2015 at 09:11 AM.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I'm concerned regarding cat toys. We have a ton of them and to be honest I'm way too lazy to pick them up just for them to go back on the floor again I mean thats the whole reason I'm considering a robot vacuum is because I'm lazy. Plus neato would go under our couch and bed which is where lots of toys are and the effort required for me to get them out of there? Not worth it!

So I wonder if Neato would push them around or attempt to suck them up or... ? Most of our toys are little balls and springs. Also some bottle cap lids might be floating around somewhere. And some pens. And maybe some clothes hangers. Our cat likes things that aren't cat toys
    wolfwoman likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

If they are big toys, Neato will go round them. Neato has a scanning system in front and anything it detects, it will go round it. If the toys are small or has strings etc, they might get stuck in Neato and it will prompt that something is stuck.
    wolfwoman likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have had a Roomba for 2 years now and I love it. We have 2 Rotties (no children though) and thus enough hair each week to make a third dog.

Be sure you do the homework and buy the roomba made for what you need. There are many models out there but not all of them are good with pet hair. Unfortunately the ones that are, are more expensive.

I find that Roomba works best the more you use it. It is not built, in my opinion, for the "deep clean" vacuuming..nor does it get right up to the crease between the carpet and baseboard or corners..I use it between 3-4 times a week and find it has cut down the amount of hair and dust throughout the entire house drastically (ie; my blinds don't get a dirty from "flying dog hair" as they used to anymore).

I use it on carpets, tile and hardwood and it does a great job...it doesn't however leave you with perfectly lined carpets (they will look like a kid had a grand old time with the vacuum) but they will be cleaned.
    I do not use the scheduling feature as I like to make sure the room is picked up before starting it (like I would when using a regular vacuum) so mainly use it at night for the main flr and in the early evening for the upstairs.

I find the battery life to still be great and havent had any issues with it during its employment at my home. I do need to say that I have to clean it out a lot. With the amount of hair and dirt my dogs track in the Roomba needs to be thoroughly cleaned at least bi monthly.

I still use my regular vacuum every other week to give everything a deep clean!
    Good luck
    Ciel, lecale and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Ordered my Neato last night. Excited for it to come!
    Ciel and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I got a Neato for Christmas. When I found out how much was spent on it my thrifty side kicked in and I considered exchanging it for 2 less extravagant toys. After reading the reviews I thought it might even be overkill for my small condo. But....the truth of the matter is I HATE sweeping and I suck at it. And with 2 dogs and a cat in a 800 sqft place with mostly laminate, there is always hair somewhere. I gave it a spin and now I love it and wouldnt give it up, not even for a cheaper model plus somethign else! LOL! As a poster above said, its so nice to walk around barefoot and I am less embarrassed to invite company in.

I need to secure my cords better and then I would be comfortable letting run unattended. It gets hung up under the coffee table but that is due to the design of the table as it has a leaf storage on the underside. It will push most lighter things around. For example, I was unpacking an order from Lowe's and had a 3 ft square boxfull of the packing materials in the middle of the floor. It pushed that around rather than going around it. I dont think it would suck up most cat toys unless they had string apendages as it does have a spinning power brush/roller in it. It also comes with 4 lengths of cord type stuff that you can use to create a no vacuum barrier if you want to block a room without closing the door or block off stairs etc.

I am very happy with my neato, I even talk to it. It has the same voice as R2D2 sounds very cute.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If anyone is still interested in exploring the world of robot vacuums, I came across this deal last night.
    I only had a chance to do a quick search and it seems like it may be old stock but the price still seems pretty good for a device that does the cleaning for you

http://www.londondrugs.com/iRobot-Mi...efault,pd.html

They were in stock in Langley, ymmv
    Ciel likes this.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

best investment i ever made, just leave that sucker on

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

So far I'm really not impressed by my neato. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Its very loud. Like louder then a regular vacuum. So loud I'm in constant fear the neighbours will complain about the jet engine next door every day.

2. Its actually really dumb to be honest. For example it loves trying to clean under my couch. It complains though because it can't see under there because I guess its dark under a couch? Who knew! Also when it does get under there and clean it gets stuck and after several minutes of trying to get out of the position it 50% of the time acheives it. The other 50% of the time I have my rear in the air trying to rescue it. Whether I save it or he saves himself he immediately goes back to the same area and does it again. Oh and those strips they give you as boundary markers? Yeah, don't work. He went right over them.

3. He misses a lot. I have a very uncluttered 800 sqft apartment and he rarely goes in the kitchen. He also skips 50% of the living room entirely. He has a pattern that he really likes. It goes something like this: Suck along the one wall in the bedroom, out into the hallway, staying along the wall, into the living room half way along the wall and then turn around in the living room and go back over the same pattern of being against the wall from living room to hallway to bedroom continuously cleaning the same spot it just did.

4. The battery life sucks. 800sqft and he can't even do it on one charge. He has to go back to his base which is quite amusing that myself and 4 cats love to watch him struggle to find his base. Luckily for him he does eventually manage.

Overall I would not recommend. It isn't worth the $500 (retail, I pricematched and couponed for mine). You cannot leave the thing home alone because it really needs to be monitored and since I really need to be home to let it run I might as well just vacuum on my own as I do a better job, it takes less time and its not as loud.

EDIT: Thinking about it now he doesn't go in the bathroom either to clean. I've seen him go in once and do a straight line and then turn around and do the same line over again on the way out.
    Last edited by PurpleBunny89; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 02:51 PM.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Neato must have known I was writing something bad about him because I had him running while I wrote it. In the last 10 minutes he keeps claiming there is something in his path when there is absolutely nothing. He has done this 6 times now. Every time I go over and press the okay button and he starts up again and 30 seconds later after he has moved a few centimeters he claims there is something in his path again.

EDIT: Yeah, pretty sure my neato is now broken. It kept claiming something was in its path when there was nothing. When I pressed okay it would normally just go about its business seeing as it was making false claims but now it won't even move when I press okay. So I picked it up and put it in the middle of my living room far away from anything and told it that its path was now clear. It started up and then stopped immediately without even moving saying its path still needed to be cleared. I'd press okay and it would start up again only to shut down immediately again and claim the same thing. When I gave up and just told him to go back to base because at this point its been 5+ hours he has been trying to clean a small apartment he seemed lost and kept turning in circles one way and then turning in circles the other way and then claiming its path was still obstructed when it was still in the middle of the living room. I checked the sensors and they are all clean seeing as its a fairly new machine. Sigh, such a waste of time. Luckily I can return it if need be. I'll be giving him one more chance but this just proves my point further that you need to be home to monitor him while he "works".
    Last edited by PurpleBunny89; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
    GoddessDigi likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

4. The battery life sucks. 800sqft and he can't even do it on one charge. He has to go back to his base which is quite amusing that myself and 4 cats love to watch him struggle to find his base. Luckily for him he does eventually manage.
    WOW!! I think you got a "challenged" Neato. I have not had any of those problems (except getting stuck under coffee table) BUT I had to laugh at your #4. We are constantly amused watching him do his thing. Does your wiggle its butt to get settled int the charger? LOL
    GoddessDigi likes this.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vw_girl View Post
    WOW!! I think you got a "challenged" Neato. I have not had any of those problems (except getting stuck under coffee table) BUT I had to laugh at your #4. We are constantly amused watching him do his thing. Does your wiggle its butt to get settled int the charger? LOL
    haha yes he does, thats one thing we do like about him.
    vw_girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

vw_girl likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Last edited by xlxo; Tue, Feb 10th, 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information