• 5 Post By ticul
  • 3 Post By Davetherave
  • 2 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By $stretcher

Thread: Another money saving idea...

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I left the title of this thread ambiguous on purpose, for if I were to have posted the idea in the title many readers would have skipped it.

But bear with me, it is a good idea - especially if you do a little travelling.

The idea is to become a member of CARP - Canadian Association of Retired Persons. "But I'm not a senior" you say. Well neither am I, and I am a member and enjoy some discounts associated with it.

You don't have to be any particular age to become a member. I'm 51, and you could be in your 20's and join. It costs $20 per year to join.

The main reason that I joined was for the hotel discounts. I get 20% off of hotel reservations that I do online. That $20 is more than paid for in a single two night hotel stay. And another thing, at least with the last hotel in which I stayed, their discounted rate had no good cancellation policy - you didn't show, you still paid for the first night's stay. With CARP in the discount field, you pay 20% less AND you get to cancel any time up to 6:00 p.m. on the day of the stay and it costs you nothing in penalty.

This cancellation policy alone is worth it to me given the unpredictable nature of weather in the winter (and life in general, come to think of it).

Just get over the fact that "Retirement" is in the name of the association. It's well worth the money and effort. There are other discounts as well, but this is the one that is most valuable to me.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Great post Brunt. Thanks!
    Ciel, ticul and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

But i thought they(hotels and other retailors) can ask us to show our id card to see if we really qualify for this particular discount. For example, we get military discount in holiday inn. But they ask my husband to show his military id card when we go for our stay.
    I will gladly apply for this card if we (in our 30's) can really take advantage of this card at our grocery stores, for example, sdm, rexall etc.
    Angela273, Ciel, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    But i thought they(hotels and other retailors) can ask us to show our id card to see if we really qualify for this particular discount. For example, we get military discount in holiday inn. But they ask my husband to show his military id card when we go for our stay.
    I will gladly apply for this card if we (in our 30's) can really take advantage of this card at our grocery stores, for example, sdm, rexall etc.
    When you join CARP, you receive a membership card. When you are asked for the CARP ID, you show it. You are not getting a discount as a senior, you are getting a discount as a CARP member. If a store, such as a grocery store, gives discounts to seniors, then a CARP card should not entitle you to the discount.

Hotels are just one of the discounts (but currently the only one that I use). Here's a list to all of the discounts (http://www.carp.ca/category/benefits/)

By the way, if you know of anyone who will be going into a Chartwell retirement residence, they have an offer of one month free rent if you are a member. It's a pretty good deal to save a couple of grand for a $20 expense.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Thank you very much for the info............................................

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks, great idea!
    Ciel, MortgageQueen and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Zoomer Media owns CARP so that would help with attracting members over to the Zoomer magazine and other related assets.

The benefits of being a CARP member:
    http://www.carp.ca/carpaffinitypartners/

Local list of CARP chapters:
    http://www.carp.ca/category/community/chapters/
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Jan 2nd, 2016 at 01:07 PM.
    Shwa Girl and beachdown like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Any one know if you can combine hotel discounts? I have CAA, usually get $10 or so off, could I combine?
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by $stretcher View Post
    Any one know if you can combine hotel discounts? I have CAA, usually get $10 or so off, could I combine?
    Nope, just pick one. I used CAA discounts for a while, but CARP tends to have lower prices, and with the CAA discount you could hardly ever cancel. In my experience CARP is far better.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Zoomer Media owns CARP so that would help with attracting members over to the Zoomer magazine and other related assets.

The benefits of being a CARP member:
    http://www.carp.ca/carpaffinitypartners/

Local list of CARP chapters:
    http://www.carp.ca/category/community/chapters/
    I never bothered getting the Zoomer magazine - I don't travel, and I am not a typical consumer, so it never really appealed to me. I received my first copy of the magazine today, but only because I renewed my CARP in December and they had a special - five years CARP membership plus the magazine for $75. Given that I will recoup that cost pretty quickly, it was a no brainer.

Having looked through the magazine, I was correct, it is of very little interest. But considering they basically paid me money to get the magazine, I took it.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not a chance

Quote Originally Posted by $stretcher View Post

Thread Information