User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Internet with Teksavvy, Start, etc.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I will be moving in a couple of months and am looking for internet options.

I am currently with Rogers, I have no issues with service, but I do call each year to have my rates lowered simply to have internet that isn't overly expensive.

I want to explore the option of other smaller companies, but as you all know there are always mixed reviews on companies, and I wanted to get some SC input

We do not use netflix, we do not download tv shows, I only download the odd movie here and there. My kids do go youtube crazy, especially my little guy with video game vids. It's insane how much bandwidth gets sucked up by that alone. I may not need unlimited, but I think 300 would suffice. We use Voip for phone, but don't use our landline often. mostly it is for the grandparents and school phone calls. I will not be bundling with any other services, because phone is with Magicjack ($5 per month, cannot be beat) and we do not use cable because we watch barely any TV. We have an antenna for local channels and that is more than plenty for our tv viewing.

That all said, who offers reliable service, stable pricing, and overall good value in Ontario?

Danka
    This thread is currently associated with: Rogers (Plus)
    Last edited by anisa; Tue, Nov 22nd, 2016 at 11:40 AM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I'm with Worldline. All of their plans are unlimited http://www.worldline.ca/services/high-speed-internet/

I've had a couple outages and technical support isn't the best (offshore) but I have stuck with them because these incidents once or twice a year are not enough to make me do anything about it.

My price went up after the 1-year promo offer ended, but hasn't gone up since.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I have teksavvy with the 25/10 plan on the 300 gig and it works well for us. My kids do streaming so there are months when we are right close to the limit of bandwidth. You can monitor how much you use in your account and they do off customers on the higher levels to trade off on slowed bandwidth for some evening hrs to get free upgrade to unlimited.

I was on a lower plan and upgraded because the magicjack was not work great on the calls if someone was streaming.

I have found teksavvy offer decent customer support but they can be difficult to get on the phone during the evening. The prices are comparable to the other services around and I like that I am supporting a Canadian business.

If anyone is signing up for Teksavvy I can refer you.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I have Teksavvy and am really happy with them. The couple of times I have had an issue (over the 5+ years with them) they have been quick to answer by phone or twitter. My only long outage was 6 hours and cause by the line being cut during road construction, everyone on Bell was out locally too. If going with DSL you would need to pay for a dry line since you don't have a home phone. Cable is not available in all areas from them.

They do however shut it down occasionally for 30 mins at like 2am (with notice) for maintenance. My modem has got fussy about it and needs to be restarted after one sometimes, but powering down always works.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We have Teksavvy and are pretty happy with it so far. DH is happy that the service is comparable to Bell (no outages, people who answer the phone on the rare chance that he might call) and I'm happy that I never call (no price changes, no increases, no unexpected costs, no need to call them to lower our bill, etc.). It's expensive compared to what some pay for internet, but the cost pales in comparison with having to deal with Bell or Rogers. I am SO happy not to have to deal with them anymore. Words cannot express... And you can always give your referral to someone, even if it's years after you signed up. I think it's $1 off each bill, from the time you call onwards. That's quite nice if you refer a few people.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As much as it pains me to say it stick with Rogers. They are most reliable and a high quality internet (stress free) that should run you about 100/month.

The little guys claim to save you money, but in the long run do you want to rely on the internet for all of your web connected services and have them run on lower tier lines, be down frequently and little to no customer support.

The little guys always want contracts that lock you in for 1 year or more with automatic payments. Rah-jers you can go month to month and cancel when you want. (with no bandwitch cap)

Shop around but make sure you get what you want for the price you want.

>>
    Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    I will be moving in a couple of months and am looking for internet options.

I am currently with Rogers, I have no issues with service, but I do call each year to have my rates lowered simply to have internet that isn't overly expensive.

I want to explore the option of other smaller companies, but as you all know there are always mixed reviews on companies, and I wanted to get some SC input

We do not use netflix, we do not download tv shows, I only download the odd movie here and there. My kids do go youtube crazy, especially my little guy with video game vids. It's insane how much bandwidth gets sucked up by that alone. I may not need unlimited, but I think 300 would suffice. We use Voip for phone, but don't use our landline often. mostly it is for the grandparents and school phone calls. I will not be bundling with any other services, because phone is with Magicjack (45 per month, cannot be beat) and we do not use cable because we watch barely any TV. We have an antenna for local channels and that is more than plenty for our tv viewing.

That all said, who offers reliable service, stable pricing, and overall good value in Ontario?

Danka
    anisa, ROMEO and barbis9 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I am with DISTRIBUTEL . Its DSL so they just use the Bell lines ( rent them from Bell )

Unlimited High Speed Internet with NO data caps and bandwidth limit.

I pay $ 41 per month all inclusive, including the taxes. Bell and Rogers will probably charge me double that, plus won't be unlimited either.

I have an Android box ( Kodi ) which I bought for $ 50. So I stream and watch various channels for free including movies, youtube, sports etc on my TV. No monthly fees, no subscription fees, nothing, just the one time purchase of the Android box for $ 50.

Decide if you need DSL internet or Cable Internet. All third party guys either use Bell lines or Rogers lines, depending upon if its DSL or Cable.
    anisa, Silk, barbis9 and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dyalect View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it stick with Rogers. They are most reliable and a high quality internet (stress free) that should run you about 100/month.

The little guys claim to save you money, but in the long run do you want to rely on the internet for all of your web connected services and have them run on lower tier lines, be down frequently and little to no customer support.

The little guys always want contracts that lock you in for 1 year or more with automatic payments. Rah-jers you can go month to month and cancel when you want. (with no bandwitch cap)

>>
    You think $100.00 a month is stress free? I disagree. We have never had issues like you are posting about ( " have them run on lower tier lines, be down frequently and little to no customer support " ) with Teksavvy. Just sayin.

babies teach us acceptance

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The little guys always want contracts that lock you in for 1 year or more with automatic payments. Rah-jers you can go month to month and cancel when you want. (with no bandwitch cap)>>
    DH was with Rogers for years and years. He's the sort that doesn't really look at his bills, gave them full access to his bank account (automatic withdrawals or whatever), and was pretty loyal. When we moved, we made the switch to Bell because he "hated Bell, but he hated Rogers more". For whatever reason, they took a payment equal to first and last month's billing cycle when he started the account.

I was going through his paperwork one day while cleaning and saw the last Rogers invoice. When we cancelled, we had over a $50 credit. I asked DH to call and get the money back. Rogers refused, saying that they would "hold it in the account until we opened an account with them again". We were in a house that was only serviced by Bell, but they would not give us the money. It took repeated calls over four long years before they finally sent us a cheque. Four years! At that time, the account number was long deactivated and Rogers said they had no records of the amount. Finally, I reached someone (think I called the Ombudsman?) who had the ability to send us the money.

DH has dealt with Rogers through work constantly as they run their phone and internet lines with them. Where he is, they offer the fastest and most reliable service (according to DH), but after two decades and multiple personal accounts with Bell and Rogers, I can honestly say, it may not be today or tomorrow, but they will always find a way to suck more money out of you and make you sign up for contract after contract, just to keep your rates on the high end of normal. I spent hours and hours on the phone with Bell, negotiating pricing and inquiring about random increases that appear on our bill.

Since we've moved, I haven't had to call Teksavvy about service interruptions or price increases since. No contracts, no commitments. It feels so weird not to have to call a phone company once a month to argue with them or wait 45 minutes because the CS lines are always busy. So much less stress!

Perhaps the internet is a tad slower. Maybe there is an interruption for an update at 2 AM. I've never noticed. As long as the internet is fast enough to stream movies, for DH and starts up for me so I can work from home, I care not. I did have to call once, because the internet was down one night. Bell was working on the lines. When I called Teksavvy, they knew about it and offered me a credit without me having to ask. What a bizarre feeling! I still consider it one of the best decisions of my life to move away from Bell and Rogers. I know that sounds weird, but oh they were a supersized, unnecessary hassle! Now if only DH would agree to move the phone away from Bell....

OP, I think all you have to do is google all the issues people have complained about with Teksavvy, Bell, Rogers, Distributel, Acanac, etc. It's true that you can't please everyone, but there is clearly the "Donald Trump" vote compared to the rational human being vote.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

>>
    My internet is just over $50 a month and I have no contract. I am getting 25mbps download and 10 up. I don't get the nighttime slowdown I used to get when I was with bHell. I have been with Teksavvy for over 10 yrs and the service I get, as well as what my parents get at their home, is far better than with the big guys and the services is provided with the same equipment as what I would be getting the service with from bHell. For us the pros far outweigh the cons by a country mile.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I had read about the trade-off for slowing your speeds in exchange for unlimited service, but then I have also read that Teksavvy discontinued that offer recently.

Does anyone know if that is still an option with them, especially with new accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by kerrylj View Post
    I have teksavvy with the 25/10 plan on the 300 gig and it works well for us. My kids do streaming so there are months when we are right close to the limit of bandwidth. You can monitor how much you use in your account and they do off customers on the higher levels to trade off on slowed bandwidth for some evening hrs to get free upgrade to unlimited.

I was on a lower plan and upgraded because the magicjack was not work great on the calls if someone was streaming.

I have found teksavvy offer decent customer support but they can be difficult to get on the phone during the evening. The prices are comparable to the other services around and I like that I am supporting a Canadian business.

If anyone is signing up for Teksavvy I can refer you.
    barbis9 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

For the first time in years I had issues with my rogers internet this past month. Internet was down or barely functioning for almost 2 weeks. It was HELL! haha

They gave me a very small token credit on my bill. They are very nice to speak to, I appreciate immensely that fact that I am speaking to someone local who fully understands what I am saying to them and usually helps me out quite quickly. I have never had issues with anything when it has come to internet or cell plans with them.

They are too dam expensive! I would never pay $100 a month for internet. We are a very modest single income family, and honestly $100 per month for internet isn't feasible.
    barbis9 and walkonby like this.
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I can't deal with Bell. Speaking on the phone to support people who don't understand me is just a waste of time. It takes 3x as long to get any sort of help because they just don't get what you are speaking about when you have issues.

It is the nature of dealing with someone who you cannot speak face to face with and who can speak technically correct english phrases, but just doesn't "get" what you are saying to them.
    barbis9, carlyincanada and dededi like this.
    R

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Honestly, we use ours quite a bit. I download/upload large files for work (plus flyers and stuff for SC), we stream to our TV, watch a fair bit of YouTube and I have never gone over 300Gb on my plan.
    Anything large, I do make an effort to download before 8am so it doesn't count towards my bandwidth but looking at the last few months, 150-180gb are the highest months (and one of them he was home for a week injured and probably streamed all day)
    anisa and barbis9 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    I had read about the trade-off for slowing your speeds in exchange for unlimited service, but then I have also read that Teksavvy discontinued that offer recently.

Does anyone know if that is still an option with them, especially with new accounts?

They may have discontinued it. I just looked and I actually now get 400 gigs / month so you really have to do a lot to go over even if you are streaming
    anisa, barbis9 and carlyincanada like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information