• 1 Post By kheal
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 3 Post By GracieAnne
  • 1 Post By padyofurniture

Thread: over charging on friskies cat food

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I recently visited the superstore here in B'water. I purchase Friskies wet cat food. I found that all flavors except for the 3 newest flavors are on price which is either 79 cents each or 10 for $6. The new flavors are 10 for $7 or 79 cents each. I asked the courtesy desk for an explanation they told me this is done all the time they don't understand it either but common practice. I said this does not make any sense for two reasons 1) why are the new flavors more expensive that is like saying farmers ice cream is in the store the vanilla is one price the strawberry another price. 2) why are both 79 cents each if you buy them individually? This makes no sense to me does anyone know if this is an acceptable practice. I asked for a supervisor to call me but I have not been called as of this date.
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS
    dededi likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kheal View Post
    I recently visited the superstore here in B'water. I purchase Friskies wet cat food. I found that all flavors except for the 3 newest flavors are on price which is either 79 cents each or 10 for $6. The new flavors are 10 for $7 or 79 cents each. I asked the courtesy desk for an explanation they told me this is done all the time they don't understand it either but common practice. I said this does not make any sense for two reasons 1) why are the new flavors more expensive that is like saying farmers ice cream is in the store the vanilla is one price the strawberry another price. 2) why are both 79 cents each if you buy them individually? This makes no sense to me does anyone know if this is an acceptable practice. I asked for a supervisor to call me but I have not been called as of this date.
    New varieties lots of times are more expensive.Just guessing the stores think customers will pay more to try a new variety than the regular old variety.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It actually makes perfect sense, and it might not be the choice of the store what the price is.

First up, you're asking the store why THEY priced it this way. It might not be up to the store. Discounts are often times incentives by the product manufacturer, not the store itself. The store is told to put the item on sale by the brand, but at no loss in profit to the store (in these cases the store is still guaranteed to make their normal profits). Regardless, aside from encouraging sales of that brand it also gives them some much desired awareness. It's also better than paying for TV or print advertising because they know the stores will put it in their flyer.

The brand decides what flavours go on sale. This gets you to notice the promotion on the types of products you already buy and to get you in the store. But then that also draws your attention to shelf so that you might notice (and maybe buy) the new flavours. Which (seemingly) it worked, because you DID notice it. You just have to decide if they're worth paying a little bit extra for.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Sep 17th, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
    Thumpersmom likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I doubt a supervisor will call you back and if they do it will just be to tell you that they have no control over the pricing and to call friskies.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's been my experience that newer items aren't always included in sales. I have also experienced stores that remove certain items/flavours from the floor when a sale is on (and they normally sell them.)
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

When the friskies concoctions came out here in Ontario - No Frills sold it for 8 cent more and I bought all three cans = the purple was the favorite so I had to pay extra. But now Walmart carries it and they have a box of 12 now of the friskies concoctions.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The stores set the selling prices.Friskies might have sold these new products to the store at a higher price so that might explain the higher price in store.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cat food in itself is a bad price
    dry and wet
    dry too small,expensive, or to purchase a larger bag, though less. it stales out, cat won't touch it
    friskies, cat only licks the sauce and leaves what the greyish product is inside
    as for price, that's definitely your prerogative to pay the price or not pay the asking price
    also a marketing test on price point of a new flavour, will the consumer comply or balk

Thread Information