User Tag List

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My son is 31/2 and has a slight yellow tint only on the top teeth.
    Now I know I will hear..."take him to the Dentist" and believe me I have.
    Just for a checkup.
    The Dentist tried to do a light cleaning, but my son FREAKED OUT.
    I have agreed to bring him in once a month just to sit in the chair and touch the tools and get familiar with everything in hopes that on one of the visits we can get a cleaning done...but till then....what should I do?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Here's what I found online:

A common dental problem found in children is something known as toddler teeth discoloration. Toddler teeth discoloration can be caused by a number of reasons and can be seen by stains found on their teeth. Considering how much bright, pearly white teeth is seen as the ideal, it is important for parents to deal with toddler teeth discoloration, as their childhood should be the time for children to have beautiful white teeth.
    The reasons for toddler teeth discoloration are varied and include:

• Poor cleaning habits
    • Exposure to certain vitamins (ie. iron) and germs
    • Eating certain foods
    • Early tooth decay
    • Traumatic injury
    • Medication use

In certain conditions, toddler tooth discoloration can be easily treated. For parents, it is helpful to clean off teeth stains with either baking soda and water or adult toothpaste. If these stains are removed through these solutions, it is a sign that the toddler teeth discoloration is not a major problem. However, if these stains cannot be removed from these home remedies, then a dentist should be consulted. They usually are able to easily rectify toddler teeth discoloration.

However, in instances where toddler teeth discoloration is indicative of a larger dental problem, then extensive dental work may be required. In cases where toddler teeth discoloration is caused by illness or medication, parents have to be careful. This is because the cells responsible for making enamel are sensitive to disturbances caused by illness and medication. Considering that children with toddler teeth discoloration are still in the midst of tooth development, it is important that they consult a dentist as soon as possible.

Stains that are found on the inside of the tooth cannot be cleaned off and the only solution lies in extensive dental work that is performed by a qualified pediatric dentist. By reversing the effects of toddler teeth discoloration, you will be giving your child a great gift by enabling them to retain exquisite bright, white teeth that will light up their smile.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'd sure try the baking soda - I'd never get a dentist to clean a baby teeth, just not worth it.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

your son is just the right age to start going to the dentist.
    he might freak the first couple of times, my daughter hates it. you can also try sitting in the chair yourself, and then have your child sit in your lap. it's done sometimes, so don't feel weird suggesting it to the dentist when you're there.
    as long as there is no decay, a little discoloration may have to be accepted by you until he's comfortable with a polishing.
    baking soda is a great to try, don't know how well it will help with discoloration tho.
    don't worry too much, but do try to get him in for a checkup once a year. he'll get used to it. the dentists expect that some kids will cry or fuss, and they are good at ignoring that and just want to make sure the kid has no decay.
    good luck!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks...

I really noticed it when he was ill and was put on antibotics.

I tried the whole sit on my lap thing at the dentist and got head butted. THAT HURT!!! Especially right after I just had my filling replaced.
    My Dentist is GREAT though cause he has allowed us to come by at the end of the month (for free) to just sit and shoot the breeze so that my lil one can get used to the environment.
    I still get the evil eye and the tears, but he has calmed down somewhat. Hopefully by his fourth birthday in August, we'll get him to sit still and have a cleaning.

Thanks again for all this helpful info.
    Keep it coming.

If there are anymore home remedies...Pass them on PLEASE.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I will be watching this thread. We have the same issue but I think my son's is due to the vitamins he's on-they are bright orange and he was on iron drops previously.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

my son was on antibotics 3 times in 2 months and they were STRONG and bright orange.

i tried the baking soda mixed with his toothepaste....NASTY taste.
    the sweetness of his paste and the saltiness of the baking soda made him gag.
    then i had a problem getting him to trust me when i told hm i wouldn't do that again.

if it isn't one thing it's another

Thread Information