Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: disability tax credit questions

AGU
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi there,
    Are you still active on this site and do you have addition info regarding this post/thread regarding th DTC & Dyslexia? Thanks.
    will fill you in on background if you are still active and interested in helping out.
    Regards
    Gord

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Applied for DTC for son who has Developmental Coordination Disorder
    Self-Regulation delay (temperament), & Speech Delay (age 5 years) was denied with the reason:

"does not meet the eligibility criteria because of the significant restrictions are not present together all or substantially all of the time (at least 90% of the time). Although we do not question the seriousness of the medical condition, we must base the decision on the specific eligibility criteria in the “Income Tax Act”. “Eligibility for the disability tax credit is based on the effects of the impairment rather then the presence of the condition. As a result, an individual may not be eligible for the credit until many years after the date of the diagnosis”.

The original application Dr answered "yes" to questions:
    - Do these restrictions exist together, all or substantially all of the time (at least 90% of the time)?
    - Is the cumulative effect of these significant restrictions equivalent to being markedly restricted in one basic activity of daily living?
    - The child must have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions. An impairment is prolonged if it has lasted, or is expected to last, for a continuous period of at least 12 months.

Then Dr turned around and answered on the CRA's request for further information that instead of 90% of the time, they existed "some of the time". The Dr seemed oblivous to why he did this when I asked. He also included examples of "effects". I submitted reports from Speech pathogist, OT and the Dr at time of application. Recently had a developmental assessment and submkitted OT Report not previously submitted that indicated:
    Dr report:
    - “The impact of the of motor skill delay, speech and coordination delay all effect his ability with self care, such as dressing, toileting, (unable to unbutton pants in time to use washroom based on what clothing he wears), dressing, social interactions with friends and family (due to speech delay), academic progress and activities, (fine motor – completing school work, ability to use tools to complete school work, and feed) following routines, difficulties participating in leisure activities are all effects of <child's name> speech, coordination and temperament delays”. The report also confirms that <child's name> still has “lower than average” language.
    OT report:
    <child name> "scored in the 2nd percentile for his motor coordination and consistent with Dr. <name> diagnosis of Development Coordination Disorder. This report also indicates that “the hallmark of DCD is difficulties in motor planning and being able to take a task, figure out a plan, and put that plan into action in a coordinated way. For <child name> , this would explain both difficulties with his printing skills (fine motor) and difficulties with his self-care, and social tasks in the classroom (for example putting on his winter coat, opening packaging on lunch items).

I submitted the request for review with the above medical information, and request for adjustmentg (2012-present). The Diagnostic criteria DSM-5 classifies DCD as a discrete motor disorder under the broader heading of neuro-developmental disorders. Any idea if this enough to qualify? I know that its not always the condition that qualifies.

Logged into my account - its say "doesnt qualify statement (from first application) but I noticed in the right hand corner the following: Sceen ID: DTC-1a dated: 01/03/2018

CRA would have received my request for review and adjustment last week of Feb 2018. I still havent received a response with a decision as of: March 10, 2018. Does anyone know what Screen ID: DTC-1a means?Sorry for the long post.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi, I just received a notice on ‘My Account” that i was approved for DTC from 2017 – 2023. I’m not sure why it is only from 2017 forward as my disability stems from a car accident in 1988 which has left my unable to walk significantly, or dress myself. Since then i’ve also been diagnosed with IBS and in Jan 2016 with Fibromyalgia. My doctor now however has only seen me for the past 4 years and it would be impossible to get records from the past doctors – i have changed provinces and its been 30 years. Also this doctor i have now does not like filling out the forms and said she doesn't believe in the tax credit, and since she filled in the form and mailed it in, i don't know what she said. How do i get them to do a retroactive reassessment and extend the time frame back before 2017?
    Thanks for any advice, i am confused and frustrated with the whole process.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread Information