User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: "Too Good To Go" app, discount on near expired food

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have been using "Too Good To Go" app for about 5 months. I'm quite happy with the app and I haven't noticed anyone talking about it here.

It's a food waste reduction app for food providers to offer discounts on expiring food directly to consumers. They are at least 1/3 of the retail price. From bakery and cooked meals to produce and sushi, there are plenty of bargains to be had if you are open to getting blind box. Some restaurants offer a mixed meal at the end of the day everyday. So the quantity and variety of food you will get depends on their business that day.

My experience is generally good. I was only disappointed once at a Korean grocery store when they gave me mostly rotting organic bean sprouts... There are a few bakeries that are so good that their offers are always gone the minute they post it on the app. Every day, people just snatch it up by 3:15pm. They have ratings, and I find that stores with rating above 4.0 are pretty good.

I highly recommend "Too Good To Go" to my fellow SCers. You have to be OK with blind box, you have to be flexible with your diet.

I hate to share with you, adding more people to the food fight... but I love you all. Let's reduce food waste and save some money!

Many Pizza Pizza locations are on the app. You'd get about 3-4 medium pizza for $6. Of course, they are day-old but they heat up pretty nicely.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pizza Pizza
    hcao, Paapu, walkonby and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Hamilton Spectator published an article on the app just last week. Good idea for those like you said can be flexible with food.

https://www.thespec.com/business/202...ood-to-go.html

*Update: CHCH Evening News at 6 did a segment on this app's being available in the Hamilton area tonight.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Wed, Aug 17th, 2022 at 03:13 PM.
    cath007 and dededi like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

This looks interesting and there are a few places in my city. Thanks for sharing
    cath007, dededi and Ciel21 like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Thank you for posting @EvilTofu !!! Great find!!! Anyone knows if this is availaible for QC ? Thanks for now I am just aware of foodhero(iga,metro) and flashfood(maxi)
    alex78, dededi and Ciel21 like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is available in QC!

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

One thing people might want to know is that there are pickup windows, as in you have to go within a couple of pre-set houra. In my area, the times are seldom convenient for me. That's the main reason I haven't tried anything.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like this app too! I find it a fun way to check out small restaurants and grocery stores in my area that I wouldn't have otherwise gone to. There are a lot of cafes selling their baked goods at the end of the day. I've particularly enjoyed ordering from a couple of fancy cake shops and a grocery store that gives really good value surprise bags (although the items are often past the expiry date). I do find that I'm buying stuff that I wouldn't otherwise so I'm not necessarily saving money on essentials, but it is fun.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by fegonia View Post
    I like this app too! I find it a fun way to check out small restaurants and grocery stores in my area that I wouldn't have otherwise gone to. There are a lot of cafes selling their baked goods at the end of the day. I've particularly enjoyed ordering from a couple of fancy cake shops and a grocery store that gives really good value surprise bags (although the items are often past the expiry date). I do find that I'm buying stuff that I wouldn't otherwise so I'm not necessarily saving money on essentials, but it is fun.
    You make a good point that I tell people "all the time". Buying something for a low price as an additional purchase doesn't save me money, at least not in terms of my total spending.
    lilo0003, cath007 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Longo's new Fall Experience magazine mentions that the chain is on the app. I have a feeling that only high traffic volume stores are participating. Our location is fairly quiet most times except maybe at lunchtime or certain days.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    Longo's new Fall Experience magazine mentions that the chain is on the app. I have a feeling that only high traffic volume stores are participating. Our location is fairly quiet most times except maybe at lunchtime or certain days.
    You could tell them mMaybe if they participated they would get more customers.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Store seems to be going through managers. Had a new one just over a year ago and more recently I saw that the name on the receipt has changed already.

I don't have the app but I assume the Toronto area and maybe Oakville and Burlington stores, since they are near high transit areas, probably are the main locations using the app to post offers.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Several Longo's stores in Mississauga and Oakville are participating. While IDK if all their locations are; the only ones that really matter for me are the ones close enough for me to be willing make a special trip to go there during their pickup windows, which are at times when I almost never shop. Anyway, I placed my first order earlier this week for "prepared food" at $7.99 (tax included) to see what and how how much I'd get, but it was canceled about two hours before the 5pm start of the window. Last night, I placed another order, so am hoping for better luck today.
    cath007, alex78 and Ciel21 like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good Luck! I'd love to know what you get!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Several Longo's stores in Mississauga and Oakville are participating. While IDK if all their locations are; the only ones that really matter for me are the ones close enough for me to be willing make a special trip to go there during their pickup windows, which are at times when I almost never shop. Anyway, I placed my first order earlier this week for "prepared food" at $7.99 (tax included) to see what and how how much I'd get, but it was canceled about two hours before the 5pm start of the window. Last night, I placed another order, so am hoping for better luck today.
    cath007 and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@Arjon if you are in the areas of the Oakville south longos there is bagel place called Oxos I think and they are on the app. I tried them out and for 4.99 I got 18 day old bagels and he let me pick which packages I wanted. They froze really well. I can’t wait to try the hot foods but so far they are not lined up for me.
    cath007, Arjon and Ciel21 like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

My order was canceled by the store again, but as luck would have it, the app showed a bag at the closer Longo's, which had been sold out when I originally ordered. IDK but would guess that someone canceled their order. Anyway, there was enough food for two people, or one with a fairly hearty appetite. There was a Mediterranean salad, two large but paper-thin pieces of breaded veal and an assortment of steamed veggies including broc, cauli, zucchini, carrots and red peppers.

Pickup was quick and easy - just show my order on the app at the prepared food counter. I was in and out in only a couple of minutes. The salad and veg were fine. The veal was tasty enough, but as I'd expect of very thin pieces, overcooked. For $7.99 tax included, I'd say the value was decent but not great. I was satisfied enough to be willing to try again, but not thrilled.

Fwiw, part of the value equation for me is that the pickup window (5-7) means making a special trip to go get the food. For this store, it's about a 9-10 minute drive each way, so not awful but also not really convenient. Different merchants do have different windows, although all the Longo's seem to be the same.
    lilo0003, cath007 and Ciel21 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information